Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I'm happy with the existing master cylinder, so assume that the switch being down isn't an issue. The instructions in the link show it in your position but say that the location can vary.

The switch being down WAS an issue, because those applications were the ones catching fire due to the ease of the brake fluid flowing downhill into the switch. On vehicles with the switch on top, it was less likely for brake fluid to congregate uphill, so they weren't prone to catching fire. But if you have the newer switch and harness, you should be fine.

I enjoyed reading that TSB because 2001-2002 Ranger is mentioned multiple times, and I happen to own one. In fact, it had been serviced at some point, but only with the fused harness, and not the new switch with new adapter/fused link harness. It still had the red switch, which I promptly removed and replaced with 1L1Z-9F924-AA. According to the below snippet, that should have been done a long time ago, but I assume wasn't because my old red switch was still dry even when I removed it. Luckily my SCDS is also top mounted, so low risk. I need to check and see if I still have the fused harness in there, as I did not realize the adapter harness doubles as a fusible link; I assumed it was just an adapter to the new style switch.

Screenshot_2022-02-02_205525.jpg.b88b034f1932eaca3fa55a0eaae3a881.jpg

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm happy with the existing master cylinder, so assume that the switch being down isn't an issue. The instructions in the link show it in your position but say that the location can vary.

The switch being down WAS an issue, because those applications were the ones catching fire due to the ease of the brake fluid flowing downhill into the switch. On vehicles with the switch on top, it was less likely for brake fluid to congregate uphill, so they weren't prone to catching fire. But if you have the newer switch and harness, you should be fine.

I enjoyed reading that TSB because 2001-2002 Ranger is mentioned multiple times, and I happen to own one. In fact, it had been serviced at some point, but only with the fused harness, and not the new switch with new adapter/fused link harness. It still had the red switch, which I promptly removed and replaced with 1L1Z-9F924-AA. According to the below snippet, that should have been done a long time ago, but I assume wasn't because my old red switch was still dry even when I removed it. Luckily my SCDS is also top mounted, so low risk. I need to check and see if I still have the fused harness in there, as I did not realize the adapter harness doubles as a fusible link; I assumed it was just an adapter to the new style switch.

If I understand correctly, there are three harnii:

• The original "fix" where they put an externally-accessible fuse in the ground circuit

• The fix I have which has two externally-accessible fuses, one in the ground circuit and one in the power circuit

• The last iteration with the fusible link(s) and no externally-accessible fuses

I plan on getting pics of the last two when my new one comes in.

But that comes in with the new switch as well, which will replace the red switch that was on the '95 F450. So, while it does point down I hope it'll be safe.

Anyway, yes the Ranger had the problem as well. So if you had the red switch it was a ticking time bomb. With the fuse(s) it wasn't likely to burn up, but it was likely to leak. But I'll bet you have the fused harness, although the question is how many fuses?

• The original "fix" where they put an externally-accessible fuse in the ground circuit

• The fix I have which has two externally-accessible fuses, one in the ground circuit and one in the power circuit

• The last iteration with the fusible link(s) and no externally-accessible fuses

But that comes in with the new switch as well, which will replace the red switch that was on the '95 F450. So, while it does point down I hope it'll be safe.

Anyway, yes the Ranger had the problem as well. So if you had the red switch it was a ticking time bomb. With the fuse(s) it wasn't likely to burn up, but it was likely to leak. But I'll bet you have the fused harness, although the question is how many fuses?

You should be good as the re-designed switches aren't prone to internal breakdown like the original.

The recall was still VERY fresh back when I bought my 2003 Ranger in 2010. I remember popping the hood at the dealership to make sure it didn't have a red switch because I didn't know the changeover date. My 2002 Ranger was built in late 2001, so of course it's included in the recall, but the 2003 Ranger was built May 2003, so it's well past the changeover date and already had the updated wiring (switched power, built-in to the harness) and newer switch.

I dissected the "repair" harness when I installed the final iteration on the 2002, and if I remember correctly, it had two fuses, so it was the second iteration. I left it on there because the 2002 Ranger is still wired in a way that provides constant power to the SCDS, which is what was causing them to burn overnight when shut down and parked. It doesn't seem to affect anything having it connected to the newer fusible link adapter, so I'll probably just leave it.

You should be good as the re-designed switches aren't prone to internal breakdown like the original.

The recall was still VERY fresh back when I bought my 2003 Ranger in 2010. I remember popping the hood at the dealership to make sure it didn't have a red switch because I didn't know the changeover date. My 2002 Ranger was built in late 2001, so of course it's included in the recall, but the 2003 Ranger was built May 2003, so it's well past the changeover date and already had the updated wiring (switched power, built-in to the harness) and newer switch.

I dissected the "repair" harness when I installed the final iteration on the 2002, and if I remember correctly, it had two fuses, so it was the second iteration. I left it on there because the 2002 Ranger is still wired in a way that provides constant power to the SCDS, which is what was causing them to burn overnight when shut down and parked. It doesn't seem to affect anything having it connected to the newer fusible link adapter, so I'll probably just leave it.

Yes, it should be ok. But Bill was suggesting I might want to change the source of the power from always-on to switched, just for the extra piece of mind. So I'll see how easy that will be as I get into that aspect of the wiring. There will be a ton of wiring to do, so changing that won't be difficult.

Yes, it should be ok. But Bill was suggesting I might want to change the source of the power from always-on to switched, just for the extra piece of mind. So I'll see how easy that will be as I get into that aspect of the wiring. There will be a ton of wiring to do, so changing that won't be difficult.

I agree with Bill, switched power is the way to go. :nabble_smiley_good:

I agree with Bill, switched power is the way to go. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep. Just think how stupid it is to wire it with constant power in the first place. It is serving a switched-power accessory so there's no advantage of any kind to having it always powered. Then to put a fuse in the ground circuit when it was clear that the short was to the aluminum of the master cylinder itself was ludicrous. Ford didn't even have the first graders engineering that thing. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yep. Just think how stupid it is to wire it with constant power in the first place. It is serving a switched-power accessory so there's no advantage of any kind to having it always powered. Then to put a fuse in the ground circuit when it was clear that the short was to the aluminum of the master cylinder itself was ludicrous. Ford didn't even have the first graders engineering that thing. :nabble_smiley_cry:

And then to deliberately tell dealers to only repair vehicles that were known to have contaminated terminals when there was no way to gauge when the terminals would become contaminated, or when the damage would be severe enough for a short to cause combustion, ESPECIALLY on the trucks with the switches pointing down. Absolutely insane. I get the supply chain shortages, but with how simple the harnesses were, it blows my mind that it took so long.

And then to deliberately tell dealers to only repair vehicles that were known to have contaminated terminals when there was no way to gauge when the terminals would become contaminated, or when the damage would be severe enough for a short to cause combustion, ESPECIALLY on the trucks with the switches pointing down. Absolutely insane. I get the supply chain shortages, but with how simple the harnesses were, it blows my mind that it took so long.

I'm thinking about the manager that let someone design the always-hot circuit in the first place. And then apparently allowed the same team to design the solution - fuse the ground. And seemingly the same team designed the solution to the first solution - clag on another fuse and a label to tell everyone these can't be serviced. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

So, did that manager as well as the whole team get fired? The third go at it seems much more reasonable, so obviously it was a new team.

But then the bean-counters get involved saying you can't put the good solution on if the switch hasn't failed yet - in spite of the fact that when it fails it may burn the vehicle up.

Man, this whole thing is bizarre. I hope bunches of people were on the street.

I'm thinking about the manager that let someone design the always-hot circuit in the first place. And then apparently allowed the same team to design the solution - fuse the ground. And seemingly the same team designed the solution to the first solution - clag on another fuse and a label to tell everyone these can't be serviced. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

So, did that manager as well as the whole team get fired? The third go at it seems much more reasonable, so obviously it was a new team.

But then the bean-counters get involved saying you can't put the good solution on if the switch hasn't failed yet - in spite of the fact that when it fails it may burn the vehicle up.

Man, this whole thing is bizarre. I hope bunches of people were on the street.

Got the Traxion TopsiderCreeper NXT in last night and put it together this morning. Sure is going to make getting to things easier and less painful!

Positioned as shown below I can get to things on the back of the engine or the firewall, but have to scoot out a ways on the top pad. If I pulled the bumper, which means pulling the camera and the winch, I could get it about 5" farther back. But I'm going to try it this way and see how it works as pulling the bumper is a pain.

Topsider_Creeper_In_Place.thumb.jpg.34f87d4d5b86c63b6287a51ed251b45d.jpg

Got the Traxion TopsiderCreeper NXT in last night and put it together this morning. Sure is going to make getting to things easier and less painful!

Positioned as shown below I can get to things on the back of the engine or the firewall, but have to scoot out a ways on the top pad. If I pulled the bumper, which means pulling the camera and the winch, I could get it about 5" farther back. But I'm going to try it this way and see how it works as pulling the bumper is a pain.

Nice! That looks great!

Yeah, without the big bumper you’d get right in there!