Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yes, that is where I am with Darth. Once everything is working the way I want it, I will flash a second EEC as a backup and on any kind of long trip, EEC, spare TFI module on heat sink as those are two that will leave me dead in the water.

Charleston, I would love to, I have an open invitation for free tour of the Hunley project (they had a group at the Monitor Center when we drilled through the turret) and we were told to simply make ourselves know if we were in the area.

Can you be there when I'm there and get me in? I'd LOVE to see the Hunley! Oh yes, and meet you. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, at our ages we have to plan things so others can pick them up and continue them. That's why I'm trying to keep Big Blue reasonably maintainable. Basically I can say he's a '96 under the covers.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you be there when I'm there and get me in? I'd LOVE to see the Hunley! Oh yes, and meet you. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, at our ages we have to plan things so others can pick them up and continue them. That's why I'm trying to keep Big Blue reasonably maintainable. Basically I can say he's a '96 under the covers.

I strongly urge you to stay away from any cheap aftermarket distributors, at least ones that don't have a Motorcraft casting. I bought one for the 400 in my old F150 and couldn't figure out why the cap adapter wouldn't fit the distributor. The adapters just kept cracking when I tried to force them on. I finally decided that something had to be wrong with the distributor, so I went to O'Reilly to see if they had one with Motorcraft stamped on it. They did, and wouldn't you know, the cap adapter fit perfectly. I purchased the Motorcraft casting dizzy, and then went back to Advance and defective-returned the cheap aftermarket one I got from them.

Can you be there when I'm there and get me in? I'd LOVE to see the Hunley! Oh yes, and meet you. :nabble_smiley_evil:Anyway, at our ages we have to plan things so others can pick them up and continue them. That's why I'm trying to keep Big Blue reasonably maintainable. Basically I can say he's a '96 under the covers.
Scotty got back with me today and said "Suppliers are out of Motorcraft distributors, Gary. Go ahead and pick up one of the Cardone units." I asked if there was any way to give him credit for an order and he said there isn't at the moment, so go ahead and order from Summit.

So I've now ordered the 26# Accel injectors and the new Cardone distributor. The injectors are in stock and I should have them next week. The distributor comes from Cardone and there's no date given.

So I have several days before I get the injectors, and during that time plan to:

1. Figure out exactly what connectors go to the various sensors so I can order the right sensors. I say that because in looking at inlet air temp sensors on the RA site I found that there are at least two styles, which I think equate to the 49-state EEC-IV system and the CA-spec EEC-V system. I'm not sure if that is the case for any of the other sensors, but feel compelled to find out before ordering. So I spent most of today checking out the CA-spec wiring harness and labeling connectors. My new label maker sure helps with this effort and at this point I have 28 things labeled to this point, but still need to do a few more.

Get these sensors on order: throttle position, MAF, inlet air temp, coolant temp, MAP, & O2. Plus, I need to order the adjustable fuel pressure regulator Scotty recommended, 180F 'stat, and anything else I can think of.

Prep the engine for the injectors. That will include pulling the plugs in the lower plenum that block the injector ports & installing the fuel connectors on the injector manifold. Then, when the injectors come in I can install them awa the injector rails.

Prep for the new ignition system by turning the engine to 12 BTDC & removing the distributor awa the DS-II ignition system and associated wiring harness.

That should put me in good stead to drop the dizzy in when it gets here. And many of the sensors & parts should be coming in about then, so I can install them as they arrive.

That will position me for all the wiring that needs to be done. :nabble_smiley_oh: I've already realized that there are things in the engine harness, like EGR wiring, that I want to take out. Ditto for other harnii - like the headlight wiring, horn wiring, etc. So there will be a whole lot of harness work to be done - in addition to actual wiring.

I strongly urge you to stay away from any cheap aftermarket distributors, at least ones that don't have a Motorcraft casting. I bought one for the 400 in my old F150 and couldn't figure out why the cap adapter wouldn't fit the distributor. The adapters just kept cracking when I tried to force them on. I finally decided that something had to be wrong with the distributor, so I went to O'Reilly to see if they had one with Motorcraft stamped on it. They did, and wouldn't you know, the cap adapter fit perfectly. I purchased the Motorcraft casting dizzy, and then went back to Advance and defective-returned the cheap aftermarket one I got from them.

Oops! Too late! I've already ordered the new Cardone unit. So, you think a rebuilt unit might be better?

I guess we'll find out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Oops! Too late! I've already ordered the new Cardone unit. So, you think a rebuilt unit might be better?

I guess we'll find out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Gary, on the sensors, I am still using the older ATC on Darth, it is in the air filter rather than the intake, difference is the connector style. MAP sensor?? Should take an MAF and 2 O2 sensors, one for each bank.

Distributor, now you understand why I rebuilt mine.

MAF, whatever you get, be sure you have the correct transfer table for it, many sources list the same reman PN for the F8LF and the F5OF units even though the curves are a bit different. I finally remembered where I got that system, It came from a CA spec truck that was wrecked apparently pretty well in front so the MAF electronics might have been damaged. Once I get around to finding if I have a bad head gasket or a cracked head and decide what I am going to do (probably swap the engine at that point), I will try the XL8F one and see how it does. I have the throttle body that came off the V10 as it has larger throttle plates than the stock 460 one and mounts the same way (cable on right, TPS on left, only problem is the oval air hose needed.

Gary, on the sensors, I am still using the older ATC on Darth, it is in the air filter rather than the intake, difference is the connector style. MAP sensor?? Should take an MAF and 2 O2 sensors, one for each bank.

Distributor, now you understand why I rebuilt mine.

MAF, whatever you get, be sure you have the correct transfer table for it, many sources list the same reman PN for the F8LF and the F5OF units even though the curves are a bit different. I finally remembered where I got that system, It came from a CA spec truck that was wrecked apparently pretty well in front so the MAF electronics might have been damaged. Once I get around to finding if I have a bad head gasket or a cracked head and decide what I am going to do (probably swap the engine at that point), I will try the XL8F one and see how it does. I have the throttle body that came off the V10 as it has larger throttle plates than the stock 460 one and mounts the same way (cable on right, TPS on left, only problem is the oval air hose needed.

Shaun - I have the dizzy I am taking out of Big Blue that should fit your 400. It is from Scotty and was curved to match this engine, but I don't know if it is on a Motorcraft base. I could make you a good deal on it if you are interested. It may have 5,000 miles on it.

Bill - The '96 CA-spec harness I have connected right up to the sensor that goes in the filter housing. But now that I think about it, I have two sensors that I tagged as coming out of the upper plenum on the F450. And I haven't checked to see if the wiring is the right length to go to the plenum or the air cleaner housing.

So, where in the "intake" are the later sensors? I would think that having the sensor in the plenum would be more accurate, so maybe I want to go that way?

On the MAF, I'm hoping to get a legitimate F5OF as planning to tell the kids this is a '96 engine. But whatever I get I'll make sure to get the right curve in the ECU.

As for the throttle body, you do remember that I have the larger BBK throttle body. Right? (Yes, that's not stock, but no change to the ECU needs to be done to accommodate it - as you know.)

Shaun - I have the dizzy I am taking out of Big Blue that should fit your 400. It is from Scotty and was curved to match this engine, but I don't know if it is on a Motorcraft base. I could make you a good deal on it if you are interested. It may have 5,000 miles on it.

I'm sure you mean 460. It's setup to run with DSII correct? I have done near zero research, but would it be compatible with aftermarket EFI or no? That alone largely dictates whether it would work for my application since I intend to run aftermarket EFI.

I'm sure you mean 460. It's setup to run with DSII correct? I have done near zero research, but would it be compatible with aftermarket EFI or no? That alone largely dictates whether it would work for my application since I intend to run aftermarket EFI.

Sorry, I did mean "460". But it is DS-II. However, I don't know for sure what is compatible with "aftermarket EFI". I say that because there are systems that have no connection to the ignition, so DS-II would be perfect. But there are some systems that can control the ignition, and I doubt DS-II can be controlled externally.

I've not researched any of those systems, but I think you'll have to check into it and decide. Anyway, this dizzy isn't going anywhere soon, so...

Sorry, I did mean "460". But it is DS-II. However, I don't know for sure what is compatible with "aftermarket EFI". I say that because there are systems that have no connection to the ignition, so DS-II would be perfect. But there are some systems that can control the ignition, and I doubt DS-II can be controlled externally.

I've not researched any of those systems, but I think you'll have to check into it and decide. Anyway, this dizzy isn't going anywhere soon, so...

I will look into this further and keep you in mind. :nabble_smiley_good: