Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Bill - Don’t worry about the part numbers. I’m pretty sure I can make what I have work. But thanks anyway.

However, that trick on the dizzy is just what I needed. I’ll roll it around to #1 at 10 BTDC and swap distributors.

But, the dizzy I have is from that F450, and I’m wondering about pulling it apart and cleaning it. Thoughts?

If you do there is a seal at the bottom that I do not believe Ford services, it is aftermarket one marketed by SKF.

DSCN1428.thumb.jpg.8a8db4be6f369d150d0eff8f7cb986c2.jpg

DSCN1429.thumb.jpg.8f76699bb10906d412566711d7914a0f.jpg

DSCN1440.thumb.jpg.319faf5966f369f3967c09f7f9691794.jpg

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you do there is a seal at the bottom that I do not believe Ford services, it is aftermarket one marketed by SKF.

Shaun - Thanks. For the others, I asked him about the funky clamps for the air hoses. Here's what he said:

Unfortunately, the MPC I have is from 2003, and doesn't cover any of the engines made before 1997.

I went through the section for the intake tube for my Ranger which has similar clamps to what you're referring to, and the sub number for the clamps is 9C632. However, there is also a note that states that this sub number is only serviced with 9B659, which is for the tube assembly. From that, one might assume that the clamps might not be available separately from Ford.

So it sounds like I'm not going to be able to find those clamps, which have slots in them to go over ridges that are molded into the hoses, ensuring the clamps are used in the exact position they were intended for. I may have to cut those ridges out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Bill - Thanks. That seal certainly needs to be replaced.

Shaun - Thanks. For the others, I asked him about the funky clamps for the air hoses. Here's what he said:

Unfortunately, the MPC I have is from 2003, and doesn't cover any of the engines made before 1997.

I went through the section for the intake tube for my Ranger which has similar clamps to what you're referring to, and the sub number for the clamps is 9C632. However, there is also a note that states that this sub number is only serviced with 9B659, which is for the tube assembly. From that, one might assume that the clamps might not be available separately from Ford.

So it sounds like I'm not going to be able to find those clamps, which have slots in them to go over ridges that are molded into the hoses, ensuring the clamps are used in the exact position they were intended for. I may have to cut those ridges out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Bill - Thanks. That seal certainly needs to be replaced.

Only thing you can do is hop on Ebay and search around for lids for a 95+ 460 and hope you find somebody selling a California version. Or, maybe look for parts for a 95+ F250 or F350 and hope the junkyards post enough pictures to show the engine bay and if you see what you want, call them and see if they'll sell you what you're looking for.

Only thing you can do is hop on Ebay and search around for lids for a 95+ 460 and hope you find somebody selling a California version. Or, maybe look for parts for a 95+ F250 or F350 and hope the junkyards post enough pictures to show the engine bay and if you see what you want, call them and see if they'll sell you what you're looking for.

Thanks, Shaun. I've now sent them an email.

That's the one that David found a few weeks ago and we discussed briefly. Towards the bottom it says "Box/Housing only. Does not include intake tubes or air flow meter." I asked if they are selling the tubes and at what price?

Air_Cleaner_Box_For_Sale.thumb.jpg.289609caf3709e299301a4d0e5f88a7d.jpg

Bill - I ordered the seal from Amazon. Pricey at $26.99, but most others are out of stock on it and SKF's recommended vendor, Motion, wants $18 + $9 for shipping. And quite a while for delivery. Amazon will have it here some time after next Tuesday.

I guess I'll pull the dizzy apart and make sure that the bearings aren't bad, clean it up, lube things, and put it back together. But I plan to put basically all new parts in the EFI system, inc injectors, MAF sensor, temp sensor, IAC, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Bill - I ordered the seal from Amazon. Pricey at $26.99, but most others are out of stock on it and SKF's recommended vendor, Motion, wants $18 + $9 for shipping. And quite a while for delivery. Amazon will have it here some time after next Tuesday.

I guess I'll pull the dizzy apart and make sure that the bearings aren't bad, clean it up, lube things, and put it back together. But I plan to put basically all new parts in the EFI system, inc injectors, MAF sensor, temp sensor, IAC, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Just be sure to use Motorcraft sensors, Matt got bitten by an aftermarket TPS on his 86 F150 302. The MAF, I actually have a 1995 Lincoln Continental one for a DOHC 4.6L on Darth. As long as it is a 90mm and you have the curve for it BE will use it. I actually have one from a CA spec 460, but it goes lean when hot and another, a plastic one from a V10.

Just be sure to use Motorcraft sensors, Matt got bitten by an aftermarket TPS on his 86 F150 302. The MAF, I actually have a 1995 Lincoln Continental one for a DOHC 4.6L on Darth. As long as it is a 90mm and you have the curve for it BE will use it. I actually have one from a CA spec 460, but it goes lean when hot and another, a plastic one from a V10.

Interesting. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Rock Auto doesn't show a Motorcraft MAF sensor. And they only have two categories: economy and daily driver.

So are you suggesting I go with the one from a Lincoln? Does the curve vary? I'd like to put "stock" items in so later I can tell the kids "It is a '96 CA-spec 460" and they can get parts w/o worrying that the curve is wrong.

On fuel injectors I'm finding a wide range of prices. RA says the MOTORCRAFT CM-5282 are the stock ones but doesn't say what the rate is. And they want $48/ea for them. Other places, inc Amazon, have them for $62 - 68/ea, which reminds me of what my nephew says - he will NOT install a product acquired from RA. He has had way too many of them bad out of the box, and refuses to use them. Thinks RA buys leftovers or returns.

Summit and others, inc Amazon, have Accel 150824 24# injectors for about $378 total. So is there any reason not to go with Accel?

Interesting. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Rock Auto doesn't show a Motorcraft MAF sensor. And they only have two categories: economy and daily driver.

So are you suggesting I go with the one from a Lincoln? Does the curve vary? I'd like to put "stock" items in so later I can tell the kids "It is a '96 CA-spec 460" and they can get parts w/o worrying that the curve is wrong.

On fuel injectors I'm finding a wide range of prices. RA says the MOTORCRAFT CM-5282 are the stock ones but doesn't say what the rate is. And they want $48/ea for them. Other places, inc Amazon, have them for $62 - 68/ea, which reminds me of what my nephew says - he will NOT install a product acquired from RA. He has had way too many of them bad out of the box, and refuses to use them. Thinks RA buys leftovers or returns.

Summit and others, inc Amazon, have Accel 150824 24# injectors for about $378 total. So is there any reason not to go with Accel?

24# and I had some very bad experience with Accel when I had Preston. Look on Summit, see if they have the Ford Racing 30# injectors. According to the fellow who was setting up the 1996 Chevy stuff (actually used a 2001 ECM) they are the best you can buy.

I don't remember what my Chrysler ones were, but they look almost exactly like Ford ones. If you can find a source for reman, I will send you the ones from the parts truck as cores.

On the MAF, yes the curves do vary.

24# and I had some very bad experience with Accel when I had Preston. Look on Summit, see if they have the Ford Racing 30# injectors. According to the fellow who was setting up the 1996 Chevy stuff (actually used a 2001 ECM) they are the best you can buy.

I don't remember what my Chrysler ones were, but they look almost exactly like Ford ones. If you can find a source for reman, I will send you the ones from the parts truck as cores.

On the MAF, yes the curves do vary.

Scotty thought 24# would be adequate, but I’ll look for the larger Ford Racing ones.

And thanks, but I have the injectors from both Huck and Jim’s F450, so have plenty of cores. You think reman is ok?

I’m thinking the process is to get the engine sorted, meaning the dizzy, injectors, and all associated sensors. Then start the electrical work of installing the PDB, running the wires, etc. Make sense?

Scotty thought 24# would be adequate, but I’ll look for the larger Ford Racing ones.

And thanks, but I have the injectors from both Huck and Jim’s F450, so have plenty of cores. You think reman is ok?

I’m thinking the process is to get the engine sorted, meaning the dizzy, injectors, and all associated sensors. Then start the electrical work of installing the PDB, running the wires, etc. Make sense?

Bill - Your pictures have been INVALUABLE! I realized this morning that your hose from the MAF sensor to the wye is leaned back so that the port on the back is level. And sure enough, when I leaned mine back the hoses were long enough to reach the throttle body! :nabble_anim_jump:

EFI_Inlet_Tubing_Mocked_Up.thumb.jpg.fd9621bdd771fc96ea93226e89026dd1.jpg

However, I'm not sure I agree with the IAC & the PVC hose connections. Or, maybe you are right but it doesn't matter?

In the pic on the left I have the EEC-IV hose from Huck sitting on the EEC-V hose from the F450. And the hose I have running to the IAC inlet has my tag on it saying it went to the IAC controller on Huck. You can see that the two fittings would be in essentially the same place, and Huck's IAC hose fits the EEC-V fitting.

And on the right I have a hose partially started into the fitting on the rear that you are using for the IAC, but you can see how easy it would be to connect it to the PVC fitting in the valve cover.

Any reason not to connect them that way?

EEC-IV_vs_EEC-V_IAC_Hose.thumb.jpg.79c77f9fd819e39eaa8a5686a82de665.jpgPCV_Hose_Trial.thumb.jpg.e706322710ff6ac672f4cb92927f4e7e.jpg