Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

it sounds as if you are going to use them in the std door speaker opening. I suspect that will give more bass. what is there now? are you going to lose the full range if you go bass only. I like the ceiling mounted speakers and since it is closer to the ear, and so it does not need to be as loud. look into a product by "boom mat". they make baffles do go between the back of the speaker and door to give a minimal enclosure at least, the ones for 6-6-1/2 may not be deep enough for those but it's worth a look.

The speakers that are in there are Sony Explod 1-826-515-11, which are not very good. I think they sold for $36/pair. So these RA's should be a big upgrade.

As for baffles, I have some in there now, so will probably put them back - if they fit over those massive magnets.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The speakers that are in there are Sony Explod 1-826-515-11, which are not very good. I think they sold for $36/pair. So these RA's should be a big upgrade.

As for baffles, I have some in there now, so will probably put them back - if they fit over those massive magnets.

Those magnets are huge!

Sony Explodes were THE speaker back in high school :nabble_smiley_happy: In retrospect, the name and price were no doubt the reason.

Those magnets are huge!

Sony Explodes were THE speaker back in high school :nabble_smiley_happy: In retrospect, the name and price were no doubt the reason.

Yes, I would agree - the name and the price were the draw. But from what I'm hearing they have no bass. The RA's might help that a bit. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I also have one Boston Acoustic 6 1/2" driver and two of their small tweeters. These were leftovers from my Miata, which had one of those 6 1/2" units, their 4" unit, and one of the tweeters in each door. Driven by an Eclipse head unit and an Eclipse DSP unit and a separate power amp, that outfit was awesome!

I'd sealed the doors by installing metal panels in all of the cutouts, and miraculously happened on the right volume for those speakers. They kicked out bass far beyond what they should have done. Good, taut bass that moved your pants leg on drum beats. It was amazing.

I'm not expecting anything like that with these RA's, but if I could get some decent bass I'd be happy. And, if the captain's chair idea works out there's room below the console for a self-powered subwoofer like the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD. Here's a shot of where it would mount, with a cardboard box the same size as the subwoofer:

Subwoofer_Mounting_Below_Console.thumb.jpg.7e9d5e8b8cd67145277686419af6b728.jpg

However, as a result of getting the mirror system on and learning that there's too much light in the cab to see the image in the display easily I'm having the windows tinted. And the plan is to use a "carbon ceramic" film that is said to reduce IR by 88% and UV by 99.9%. But I'll have to pull the door panels to let the guy install the tint. And, as it turns out, he has COVID. So we are going to wait until he is well to put the tint on.

More layers of the onion? :nabble_smiley_wink:

However, as a result of getting the mirror system on and learning that there's too much light in the cab to see the image in the display easily I'm having the windows tinted. And the plan is to use a "carbon ceramic" film that is said to reduce IR by 88% and UV by 99.9%. But I'll have to pull the door panels to let the guy install the tint. And, as it turns out, he has COVID. So we are going to wait until he is well to put the tint on.

More layers of the onion? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, the speakers could be considered part of the onion, but this might be considered "piling on". :nabble_smiley_evil:

Drivers_Captains_Chair_In.thumb.jpg.757100d02fd005e8c6aa4d25b66f7dc6.jpg

Well, the speakers could be considered part of the onion, but this might be considered "piling on". :nabble_smiley_evil:

Well, the seats and the console are in, as you can see below. Some observations:

• The seating position feels like it is a bit forward of the bench seat, and Jerry/Ozark1 confirmed that 8 years ago on "that other forum" when he said "Gary..I think I mentioned in one of my earlier posts to your seat install, that the angle of the seat back is different on a Bronco, when compared to a bench seat from an F-150. The seat will sit further toward the front, in order for the back to lock. My seats are "lowback"..and do not hit the window..but still are closer to the steering wheel than the stock bench."

• The seating position is a bit higher as well since I had to adjust the rear view mirror up a bit.

• The seat belts work, but the inside belts have to be reached for as they lay on the pan/mounting bracket when you take them off. So it would be nice to have some of the "guides" that stand the belts up, like shown below, although those are in pretty bad shape as they are brittle and broken at the top. But it does seem like the belts are the same length as those for the bench seat.

• I think the console is about 4" too far forward. It clears the shift lever, but it would probably hit my coffee tumbler in 4th or Reverse. And there is a gap behind it that is unused.

We are leaving soon on a 3-day trip over into SW Arkansas, which will let me see what I think of the captain's chairs. But there is a little voice in my head saying "What if you seriously don't like them?" So we are going to take Big Blue on an errand on Monday to test the seats. And if we don't like them then I'll put the bench back. However, I think we are going to love them, and if that's the case I'll be looking for another pair of them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Both_Captains_Chair__Console_In.thumb.jpg.c7f3bb8ab01b08d1db061412fe278746.jpg

Seat_Belt_Stands.thumb.jpg.eb913df1384fd10573357150e799e807.jpg

Well, the seats and the console are in, as you can see below. Some observations:

• The seating position feels like it is a bit forward of the bench seat, and Jerry/Ozark1 confirmed that 8 years ago on "that other forum" when he said "Gary..I think I mentioned in one of my earlier posts to your seat install, that the angle of the seat back is different on a Bronco, when compared to a bench seat from an F-150. The seat will sit further toward the front, in order for the back to lock. My seats are "lowback"..and do not hit the window..but still are closer to the steering wheel than the stock bench."

• The seating position is a bit higher as well since I had to adjust the rear view mirror up a bit.

• The seat belts work, but the inside belts have to be reached for as they lay on the pan/mounting bracket when you take them off. So it would be nice to have some of the "guides" that stand the belts up, like shown below, although those are in pretty bad shape as they are brittle and broken at the top. But it does seem like the belts are the same length as those for the bench seat.

• I think the console is about 4" too far forward. It clears the shift lever, but it would probably hit my coffee tumbler in 4th or Reverse. And there is a gap behind it that is unused.

We are leaving soon on a 3-day trip over into SW Arkansas, which will let me see what I think of the captain's chairs. But there is a little voice in my head saying "What if you seriously don't like them?" So we are going to take Big Blue on an errand on Monday to test the seats. And if we don't like them then I'll put the bench back. However, I think we are going to love them, and if that's the case I'll be looking for another pair of them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And since I'm pretty sure I'm going to like these seats I'm now hunting for the inboard belts with the "standup" sleeves. I've looked in these places:

• SeatBeltsPlus: They have the whole belt set, but they are $320 and don't come in blue. But I asked them if the inboard belts are available and their response was "Thank you for your question. We sell those buckle sleeves separately from the seat belt, but the seat belt itself can not be sold as separate buckle/clip side. Here are links to the sleeves. They say "Jeep", but they are the same sleeves used in the Truck kits. Left Side Right Side"

• SeatBeltPlanet: They have the whole belt set which is $253 and does come in blue. But I asked them if the inboard belts are available and their response was "Buckles and tongues are designed and built as matched parts. The tolerances and engineering specs are very specific which requires that they be used with their matching part from the same manufacturer and same batch. Non-matched parts may latch together and even stay together under light loads but are likely to separate in an accident. For this reason, Federal Motor Vehicle Standards require that we only sell complete seatbelts. Keeping you and your family safe is our #1 goal!"

And since I'm pretty sure I'm going to like these seats I'm now hunting for the inboard belts with the "standup" sleeves. I've looked in these places:

• SeatBeltsPlus: They have the whole belt set, but they are $320 and don't come in blue. But I asked them if the inboard belts are available and their response was "Thank you for your question. We sell those buckle sleeves separately from the seat belt, but the seat belt itself can not be sold as separate buckle/clip side. Here are links to the sleeves. They say "Jeep", but they are the same sleeves used in the Truck kits. Left Side Right Side"

• SeatBeltPlanet: They have the whole belt set which is $253 and does come in blue. But I asked them if the inboard belts are available and their response was "Buckles and tongues are designed and built as matched parts. The tolerances and engineering specs are very specific which requires that they be used with their matching part from the same manufacturer and same batch. Non-matched parts may latch together and even stay together under light loads but are likely to separate in an accident. For this reason, Federal Motor Vehicle Standards require that we only sell complete seatbelts. Keeping you and your family safe is our #1 goal!"

When I put seat belts in my Bronco many years ago I had good seat belts, but like you're seeing now, the inner part laid on the floor when you took it off. So I went to a junkyard and pulled the guides off of some vehicle. They were gray which goes well with my gray interior and black belts. I just fished my inner belts through the guide.

When I put seat belts in my Bronco many years ago I had good seat belts, but like you're seeing now, the inner part laid on the floor when you took it off. So I went to a junkyard and pulled the guides off of some vehicle. They were gray which goes well with my gray interior and black belts. I just fished my inner belts through the guide.

I got sleeves at JBG. Tied string to the belt end and heated the sleeve carefully with a heat gun. And pulled them through.

Had to be very careful with the heat gun. Kept it pretty far away, doesn’t take too much heat to make them flexible enough to pass the belt through.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Factory-Seat-Belts/products/1694/

Edit: They’re black but I didn’t paint them since they’re between the seat and floor console.

I got sleeves at JBG. Tied string to the belt end and heated the sleeve carefully with a heat gun. And pulled them through.

Had to be very careful with the heat gun. Kept it pretty far away, doesn’t take too much heat to make them flexible enough to pass the belt through.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Factory-Seat-Belts/products/1694/

Edit: They’re black but I didn’t paint them since they’re between the seat and floor console.

Bob - Around here the UV seems to have done a number on the plastic, just like the ones I have.

Dane - Perfect! If I go with buckets or captain's chairs I'll probably order those. And black is just fine. Thanks!

And now for the base that bolts to the floor. The base I'm using was planned for Dad's truck, so if I go with buckets or captain's chairs in Big Blue I'll need another - at least when I put Dad's truck together.

This ebay advert says the part number is F4TS-1561756-AE, but with the extra "E" on the end that is likely an ID #. Anyway, they want from $350 to $650 for those things!

But I'm wondering if I couldn't take the base off of one of the several bench seats I have and make a base out of angle welded to them. With this one as a guide it shouldn't be hard to get the height and spacing worked out, and I tend to make things plenty strong so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?