Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Shaun - You are right, that thing is UGLY! How hard is it to replace it? (I think I may actually have one, but if not I may order that one.)

Dane - It would have been cool to incorporate it into the light. I'm not sure there's enough room for it, but it might have been able to have gone just off center on the top.

I figured you had thought of it. Would be cool for a permanent installation.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shaun - You are right, that thing is UGLY! How hard is it to replace it? (I think I may actually have one, but if not I may order that one.)

Gary, I have replaced three and it is not too difficult. It helps if done in warm weather and the plastic trim is allowed to be in the sun for awhile. Note that the beginning and ending point is centered at the bottom of the glass frame.

In the following link, NumberDummy provides some parts information.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/756983-rear-window-chrome-strip-trick.html

Gary, I have replaced three and it is not too difficult. It helps if done in warm weather and the plastic trim is allowed to be in the sun for awhile. Note that the beginning and ending point is centered at the bottom of the glass frame.

In the following link, NumberDummy provides some parts information.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/756983-rear-window-chrome-strip-trick.html

Thanks, David. Good to know it is easily done. I've read horror stories about changing out the whole window and weatherstrip, so didn't know if the chrome piece was a big part of the problem.

Not in my opinion.

Ok, thanks. I didn't check for the piece today, but I'm pretty sure I have one. However, since it is part of a set I might order the one in from ebay that Shaun found and use it instead.

As for what I got done today, I worked on the step brackets a bit. Turns out that the "flexible" brackets worked even when the mount points on the frame weren't exactly the right distance apart. But now that the rear bracket doesn't flex at all the step won't quite go on. So I'm going to have to slot the holes on the top and bottom where the bolts pass through to the 3" tubing so the mount can slide back and forth a bit. That should allow it to line up nicely.

But I also got the radio installed and it appears to work, although I haven't taken the truck for a drive to see if it has any range now. And, I want to buy or make a magnetic clamp to put roughly where the red oval is in the pic below. It will just be to hold the coax so there's no stress on the connector and yet the coax won't be hitting the roof from wind.

I'm thinking I can cut a piece out of a sheet magnet I have to just fit the bottom of one of the adhesive-backed cable tie points. Won't take much to hold it. But if anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

NMO_Magnetic_Base_Installed_-_Clamp.jpg.13ff0fdd763b06b0b704f76b59199df8.jpg

Ok, thanks. I didn't check for the piece today, but I'm pretty sure I have one. However, since it is part of a set I might order the one in from ebay that Shaun found and use it instead.

As for what I got done today, I worked on the step brackets a bit. Turns out that the "flexible" brackets worked even when the mount points on the frame weren't exactly the right distance apart. But now that the rear bracket doesn't flex at all the step won't quite go on. So I'm going to have to slot the holes on the top and bottom where the bolts pass through to the 3" tubing so the mount can slide back and forth a bit. That should allow it to line up nicely.

But I also got the radio installed and it appears to work, although I haven't taken the truck for a drive to see if it has any range now. And, I want to buy or make a magnetic clamp to put roughly where the red oval is in the pic below. It will just be to hold the coax so there's no stress on the connector and yet the coax won't be hitting the roof from wind.

I'm thinking I can cut a piece out of a sheet magnet I have to just fit the bottom of one of the adhesive-backed cable tie points. Won't take much to hold it. But if anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

Well, the work on BB is going to be on hold for a bit. That's 'cause I put my finger into the grinder today. It isn't too bad, as nothing is broken and it didn't get into the bone. But it hurt a bunch and bled profusely. The bandage stays on for 48 hours, which prevents doing much. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I was grinding a piece of plate that was going to box in the front step mount just like I did on the rear, and it slipped and the finger hit the grinding wheel. Dumb! But the plan is to add the side plate and bottom angle to all of the mounts. That significantly strengthened the LR mount, so I'll finish that as and when I can.

Well, the work on BB is going to be on hold for a bit. That's 'cause I put my finger into the grinder today. It isn't too bad, as nothing is broken and it didn't get into the bone. But it hurt a bunch and bled profusely. The bandage stays on for 48 hours, which prevents doing much. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I was grinding a piece of plate that was going to box in the front step mount just like I did on the rear, and it slipped and the finger hit the grinding wheel. Dumb! But the plan is to add the side plate and bottom angle to all of the mounts. That significantly strengthened the LR mount, so I'll finish that as and when I can.

OMG!

I hope you'll recover fast!

Well shoot! Heal up!

Been there, done that. Those aren't pleasant injuries to heal from. Hope you're back to fighting trim soon.