Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ahhh! The radio is mounted on a cutting board! I thought the mag mount was. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ok, now for an update on my quest. It has been painful, to say the least. But to cut to the chase, I just ordered one Amphenol 83-878-1003 rear mount solder terminal UHF connector, which is supposed to be an SO-239 connector, one PL-259 to BNC right-angle adapter, and one SO-239 cap. And all in, I think it was about $50.

But there was another option. Today, after 3 days of waiting, Midland got back with me. And they said I should order:

The MXTA51 includes the MXTA12 terminated with an FME connector and the removable PL259 adapter, like the MXTA24 and MXTA27. Just remove the PL259 adapter to thread the antenna cable through 3/8” or larger hole. The MXTA51 also includes a mini ¼ wave whip NMO style antenna.

That sounded pretty good as my checking showed that the gland nuts I have would pass the 3/8" FME connector, and they'll tighten down nicely on the ~1/4" thick RG58 coax. However, when I went to the Midland website it cannot find an MXTA51. And when I Google that number there are no results on the whole of the internet. So I have no idea on price and no way to order it. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I sent Midland back an email and turned to looking for the SO-239 connector to mount in the back of the cab. I decided I wanted a "rear mount" connector, meaning one that would slide through the hole in the roof from inside the cab and be secured with a nut on the outside. That's because to have a nut on the inside would mean I'd have to either drop the headliner or remove the cargo light to get a wrench in there, and I don't want to do either.

Called Digi-Key and they don't have any panel mounts that don't use 4 screws in the corners instead a nut. Called Mouser. And checked several others as well, including Amazon. But no one had what I was looking for.

Finally I found a page that give me a part number for the Amphenol connector and Googled that. Got a hit at Derf Electronics and they had the part. After finally getting to the right guy I got a price of $23 + shipping, so I bit the bullet and ordered it.

This solution is the one I've wanted with one minor issue - the Amphenol connector isn't waterproof. But it looks like the ones that are just have a rubber washer under the nut and washer, and I have one of those so I think it'll be fine. And I can use a bit of RTV as well.

But it will allow me to change out the antenna w/o going back into the headliner, so I think it is the right approach.

Sounds like a plan, bit of a headache, but should work great. I think you can seal it up also.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a plan, bit of a headache, but should work great. I think you can seal it up also.

Thanks, Dane. Yes, it has been "a bit of a headache". In fact, I've taken Excedrin several times of late.

Midland would have had an order if their webpage had the item. But when you call they effectively say "Your call is important to use but we don't have the time to answer it. Leave a message or email us and we'll get back in a few days." That is SO FRUSTRATING! Yes, I understand that hiring people is difficult these days, but I actually talked to people at Digi-Key and Mouser, who didn't have the part but took the time to check, and then again at DERF where I ordered it.

And speaking of DERF, that was kind of comical. You pull up their page for that connector, as shown below, and you'll see two phone numbers. I called the bottom one, got Vicky, and discovered that they sell to dealers - only. But, they do sell to individuals via websales, so call the other number. I did and was talking to Vicky again. Oops, I was supposed to enter 147 to get to Matthew instead of 2 for Sales, but she didn't tell me that. But the recording doesn't say that, nor does the web page.

Also, note that the page shows a price of $23 now. It didn't when I first called. Matthew said "Can I put you on hold for a bit while I find out what the price is?" I said "Sure". But after a minute it started ringing and pretty soon Matthew answered. He didn't know, but after their system has been on hold for a minute it calls the original number you'd called back.

So it was comical. But it all worked out and they got the sale. However, had Midland...

DERF_Electronics.thumb.jpg.9d720408ce479deb6efb57e2e606457e.jpg

Thanks, Dane. Yes, it has been "a bit of a headache". In fact, I've taken Excedrin several times of late.

Midland would have had an order if their webpage had the item. But when you call they effectively say "Your call is important to use but we don't have the time to answer it. Leave a message or email us and we'll get back in a few days." That is SO FRUSTRATING! Yes, I understand that hiring people is difficult these days, but I actually talked to people at Digi-Key and Mouser, who didn't have the part but took the time to check, and then again at DERF where I ordered it.

And speaking of DERF, that was kind of comical. You pull up their page for that connector, as shown below, and you'll see two phone numbers. I called the bottom one, got Vicky, and discovered that they sell to dealers - only. But, they do sell to individuals via websales, so call the other number. I did and was talking to Vicky again. Oops, I was supposed to enter 147 to get to Matthew instead of 2 for Sales, but she didn't tell me that. But the recording doesn't say that, nor does the web page.

Also, note that the page shows a price of $23 now. It didn't when I first called. Matthew said "Can I put you on hold for a bit while I find out what the price is?" I said "Sure". But after a minute it started ringing and pretty soon Matthew answered. He didn't know, but after their system has been on hold for a minute it calls the original number you'd called back.

So it was comical. But it all worked out and they got the sale. However, had Midland...

Ha! Cheap entertainment!

Ha! Cheap entertainment!

Well, I may have to change my tune about Midland Radio. I just got this back from them:

Hi Gary Lewis,

Oh my goodness Gary! I am sorry, I just realized we are still waiting to get this MXTA51 in stock. I am going to get my hands on 1 in the next 2 weeks and will send it at no charge. What US address may I ship to?

Best regards,

Andrea

Needless to say, I responded and thanked her, profusely!

Well, I may have to change my tune about Midland Radio. I just got this back from them:

Hi Gary Lewis,

Oh my goodness Gary! I am sorry, I just realized we are still waiting to get this MXTA51 in stock. I am going to get my hands on 1 in the next 2 weeks and will send it at no charge. What US address may I ship to?

Best regards,

Andrea

Needless to say, I responded and thanked her, profusely!

Impressive!

Impressive!

I'm not going to count my chickens just yet. But I have two solutions in the works. Not sure which I like best, but as I think about it the best would be a combo of the two. It would require buying one more PL-259 connector, which I'd put on the shortened coax from the NMO mag mount and plug it into the SO-239 on the back of the cab.

But the difference would be that I'd use part of the left over RG8 from the NMO mag mount to run from the radio to the SO-239 connector on the cab. That way I'd have RG8 the whole way from the radio to the mag mount and no little spaghetti coax.

I'm not going to count my chickens just yet. But I have two solutions in the works. Not sure which I like best, but as I think about it the best would be a combo of the two. It would require buying one more PL-259 connector, which I'd put on the shortened coax from the NMO mag mount and plug it into the SO-239 on the back of the cab.

But the difference would be that I'd use part of the left over RG8 from the NMO mag mount to run from the radio to the SO-239 connector on the cab. That way I'd have RG8 the whole way from the radio to the mag mount and no little spaghetti coax.

Got the PL-259/BNC right angle adapter and SO-239 cap in from Amazon today. It is really freaky to have the parts in 14 hours from ordering. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Here are the parts, mocked up on SO-239 connectors I have left over from my amateur radio days, and with the little 1/4 wave mag mount antenna connected.

As soon as the bulkhead SO-239 gets in I could go ahead and install everything. But I'm really liking the idea of using the leftover RG-58 from shortening that NMO mag mount as the lead from the radio to the back of the cab, meaning the bulkhead SO-239. That would mean I'd have higher quality coax in the cab, which surely can't hurt.

So I'm going to wait a bit to see if Midland comes through before finalizing things.

Right_Angle_Adapter__Cap.thumb.jpg.5e624aadb4ba08d492c3dc1b40829c75.jpg

Got the PL-259/BNC right angle adapter and SO-239 cap in from Amazon today. It is really freaky to have the parts in 14 hours from ordering. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Here are the parts, mocked up on SO-239 connectors I have left over from my amateur radio days, and with the little 1/4 wave mag mount antenna connected.

As soon as the bulkhead SO-239 gets in I could go ahead and install everything. But I'm really liking the idea of using the leftover RG-58 from shortening that NMO mag mount as the lead from the radio to the back of the cab, meaning the bulkhead SO-239. That would mean I'd have higher quality coax in the cab, which surely can't hurt.

So I'm going to wait a bit to see if Midland comes through before finalizing things.

Gary, they just opened a few months ago a new Amazon Distribution Center just outside of Springfield MO in Republic. That may be why you are getting them so fast.

Later Bruce

Cool! Good plan!

I’d like to see pictures of the install. Should be slick!

Cool! Good plan!

I’d like to see pictures of the install. Should be slick!

Bruce - We actually have a fulfillment center in Tulsa, about 20 miles as the crow flies from our house. So I'm sure that plays into us being able to get things quickly.

Dane - I'm sure that you've noticed by now that I like pictures. I like to document what I'm doing for a number of reasons, including the ability to go back and find out what I did as well as to realize I've done a lot to this truck. So I'm sure to document the antenna installation. :nabble_smiley_wink: