Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

And, I leave you with this: "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how your respond."

Yep, and I responded by taking a nap. Things looked a lot better after that. And brightened up even more when I found that Amazon has Trico washer pumps for $15. I ordered at 5:16 last night and it is "Out for delivery" at the moment. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the wheels, as I was prep'ing for powder coating yesterday I was remembering our conversation re what all the guy you used does for prep, and that got me to wondering if you'd gotten the wheels yet. Can't wait to at least see several pics of them, if not see them "in the flesh".

As for the element, heating elements just do that. When I realized that the temp wasn't coming up as fast as it should have been I opened the door and that element was glowing WHITE in one spot. I quickly closed the door to keep the heat in, but realized that the element had developed a thin spot where the current was heating it way too hot and it would soon burn through. Sure enough, in a few minutes I heard it fall off and hit the rack.

But not to fear, I have a bunch of heating elements. Several years ago I had another one burn out and I found a deal on several of them. So I'll just pull two screws and swap them out.

Sorry, but when I typed "deal" I'm seeing Don Rickles as Crapgame in Kelly's Heroes saying "deal".

[the lone obstacle to the sought-after gold is a solitary tank guarding the bank]

Crapgame : Then make a DEAL!

Big Joe : What kind of deal?

Crapgame : A DEAL, deal!

Well, it continues. I got the Trico washer pump in and installed today - exactly according to the instructions with graphite on the seal. And it leaked. Not badly, but it leaked. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The pump is going into the reservoir very easily, and it makes me feel like the bore is maybe too large. It is smooth, but it won't seal. So I cleaned everything up and put a bit of RTV on the sealing surface of the reservoir, a bit on the seal itself, slid the pump in place, and put the retainer in. I'll let it sit overnight and then test it tomorrow.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it continues. I got the Trico washer pump in and installed today - exactly according to the instructions with graphite on the seal. And it leaked. Not badly, but it leaked. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The pump is going into the reservoir very easily, and it makes me feel like the bore is maybe too large. It is smooth, but it won't seal. So I cleaned everything up and put a bit of RTV on the sealing surface of the reservoir, a bit on the seal itself, slid the pump in place, and put the retainer in. I'll let it sit overnight and then test it tomorrow.

Is one step forward and one back progress? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Tested the washer pump today and initially had a problem. There was apparently some RTV preventing the pump from turning. But I reached in the outlet with a small piece of wire and turned the impeller a bit. Then hit it with 12v, then hit it with -12v, and back and forth until it spun. (Don't be looking down the outlet when it finally spins. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

Then I ran water in it and let it sit for a while to test the seal, and it appears to be holding. So I installed the reservoir. Here's how it turned out:

Reservoir_Is_IN.thumb.jpg.6643da6d843aa016b0a9f49b70b5a8e0.jpg

But, I was greeted with another puddle under the truck this morning, so it appears I still have a coolant leak. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm thinking I'll put some pressure on the system and see if I can spot the leak. IIRC the last time I used the pre-heat connection to pressurize things, but that's full of Water Weld now. So I may modify a radiator cap. We shall see.

Another_Coolant_Puddle.thumb.jpg.33096205929f01896d4f343c767b4641.jpg

Is one step forward and one back progress? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Tested the washer pump today and initially had a problem. There was apparently some RTV preventing the pump from turning. But I reached in the outlet with a small piece of wire and turned the impeller a bit. Then hit it with 12v, then hit it with -12v, and back and forth until it spun. (Don't be looking down the outlet when it finally spins. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

Then I ran water in it and let it sit for a while to test the seal, and it appears to be holding. So I installed the reservoir. Here's how it turned out:

But, I was greeted with another puddle under the truck this morning, so it appears I still have a coolant leak. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm thinking I'll put some pressure on the system and see if I can spot the leak. IIRC the last time I used the pre-heat connection to pressurize things, but that's full of Water Weld now. So I may modify a radiator cap. We shall see.

Well, I'm kinda thinking I may have found the source of the "leak". As described in the thread Possible Coolant "Leak"? it may be that there is no leak but that the coolant I've spilled filling the radiator up has saturated the weather stripping and it is slowly dripping out.

I'm still puzzling on what my next step is, but I thought I'd document what I've done. First, on the left is the radiator cap I modified and on the right is the system in use. By pulling the brass disk off, which serves as a check valve, the pressure that comes in via the overflow goes through the hole and up to the seal on the top. And in reality I didn't need to pull the rubber off. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Modified_Radiator_Cap.thumb.jpg.6f613971c52e0f07054b667c5a745008.jpgPressurizing_Cooling_System.thumb.jpg.0c1fbf425dfa24ad6be11a7b7e323d53.jpg

And as soon as I put it on, and air started leaking out of the cap, I got some more coolant on the floor, which is what is making me think the coolant was hiding in the open-cell foam and the air just pushed it out.

Here's what I found at the bottom. So I think I'll pull the shroud and replace the foam. Thoughts?

Possible_Coolant_Leak.thumb.jpg.a9ca97e4ec7ac9da9fe4b97b05a8cd74.jpg

Well, I'm kinda thinking I may have found the source of the "leak". As described in the thread Possible Coolant "Leak"? it may be that there is no leak but that the coolant I've spilled filling the radiator up has saturated the weather stripping and it is slowly dripping out.

I'm still puzzling on what my next step is, but I thought I'd document what I've done. First, on the left is the radiator cap I modified and on the right is the system in use. By pulling the brass disk off, which serves as a check valve, the pressure that comes in via the overflow goes through the hole and up to the seal on the top. And in reality I didn't need to pull the rubber off. :nabble_smiley_blush:

And as soon as I put it on, and air started leaking out of the cap, I got some more coolant on the floor, which is what is making me think the coolant was hiding in the open-cell foam and the air just pushed it out.

Here's what I found at the bottom. So I think I'll pull the shroud and replace the foam. Thoughts?

I put the cooling system back together today as I'm pretty sure the leak was from the lower radiator hose and it is now tight. But it is amazing how much liquid can hide out in the radiator support and then dribble on the floor overnight. Hopefully it is all done with its leaking.

Then I backed it out of the shop and washed it. That didn't take too long, but what took a long time was getting the millions of insects off the front bumper and grille. Man, was that a MESS! It took an hour and a half and a lot of elbow grease and wax to get things clean.

But it is ready for another trip now! Maybe Janey and I'll get to take it somewhere in October to see the trees changing.

But it is ready for another trip now! Maybe Janey and I'll get to take it somewhere in October to see the trees changing.

Road miles presenting an opportunity to check MPG?

Yes, and no. I've heard of the Ozark Trail and would like to drive some of it this fall. But while it won't be highway miles it surely won't be "trail" like in Colorado. And maybe not even down into 4Low. So the MPG won't be anything to write home about.

And, speaking of plans, things are shaping up to have our kids here for "Christmas", although we might not have both sets at the same time and they may not actually be here on Christmas. But Janey mentioned that I may want to take our son over to Disney to the off-road park there to let him get used to Big Blue and see him in action. And to make sure he's ready for that I don't think I want to start the EFI upgrade 'twixt now and then. So I'll continue to acquire the parts in order to be ready soon thereafter.

Yes, and no. I've heard of the Ozark Trail and would like to drive some of it this fall. But while it won't be highway miles it surely won't be "trail" like in Colorado. And maybe not even down into 4Low. So the MPG won't be anything to write home about.

And, speaking of plans, things are shaping up to have our kids here for "Christmas", although we might not have both sets at the same time and they may not actually be here on Christmas. But Janey mentioned that I may want to take our son over to Disney to the off-road park there to let him get used to Big Blue and see him in action. And to make sure he's ready for that I don't think I want to start the EFI upgrade 'twixt now and then. So I'll continue to acquire the parts in order to be ready soon thereafter.

Kinda short notice but I saw on Facebook

Search:

Glade Top Trail Flaming Fall music and BBQ. October 16th

Glade Top is just gravel roads but it runs east and west and in places you supposedly can see 14 miles down into Arkansas. May not be enough for a one day trip unless you spent a few days coming across Arkansas getting there. I am going to try and go just to eat BBQ and listen to some music, if we can swing it.

Kinda short notice but I saw on Facebook

Search:

Glade Top Trail Flaming Fall music and BBQ. October 16th

Glade Top is just gravel roads but it runs east and west and in places you supposedly can see 14 miles down into Arkansas. May not be enough for a one day trip unless you spent a few days coming across Arkansas getting there. I am going to try and go just to eat BBQ and listen to some music, if we can swing it.

Thanks, Bruce. I found it with a Google search here: Glade Top Trail Flaming Fall Revue- Music & BBQ. And on Google Maps here. It is 244 miles and 4 hours & 17 minutes from here, so it is quite a hike.

Sounds like fun, but I'm not sure we will be ready for that as we are taking another trip 'twixt now and then and may not be ready to get back on the road. But I'll talk it over with Janey.

:nabble_smiley_good:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Bruce. I found it with a Google search here: Glade Top Trail Flaming Fall Revue- Music & BBQ. And on Google Maps here. It is 244 miles and 4 hours & 17 minutes from here, so it is quite a hike.

Sounds like fun, but I'm not sure we will be ready for that as we are taking another trip 'twixt now and then and may not be ready to get back on the road. But I'll talk it over with Janey.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Well, it has been over two weeks since I posted! Wow! But we've driven ~3000 miles in that time to go to Michigan to see the trees turning, visit Mackinac Island, etc. Good trip, but glad to be home.

And, we got home just in time as this came in today from BBK. May need to put it on Big Blue at some point. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Throttle_Bodies_-_3.thumb.jpg.a3a16d2df2fe8a63da673a792f4c0efb.jpg

Throttle_Bodies_-_2.thumb.jpg.cb8733e4cc7d12befec41ecaf0b8ddb2.jpg

Throttle_Bodies_-_1.thumb.jpg.bd6aa48d750d3e5351015e6aa79f2f83.jpg

Well, it has been over two weeks since I posted! Wow! But we've driven ~3000 miles in that time to go to Michigan to see the trees turning, visit Mackinac Island, etc. Good trip, but glad to be home.

And, we got home just in time as this came in today from BBK. May need to put it on Big Blue at some point. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Whoa! :nabble_smiley_good: