Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yup, 'tis going to be 'spensive. Each way is 850 miles, so 1700 miles and, therefore ~170 gallons. Then there are the trail days. And the hotel rooms. And meals.

BUT IT IS GONNA BE FUN!!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Funny story, years ago my bro and his two boys were headed to AZ pulling their enclosed trailer with RZR's inside. They were going directly into a head wind and had the choice of running that Bowtie on the floor or notched down two gears. Either way the MPG was horrible.

In the middle of the night his wife got a call from their credit card company. Someone had stolen their card and was stopping every 100 miles and buying out the service stations. She just :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:.

$3 a gallon would be cheap here.

Your SIL answering a landline is amusing

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny story, years ago my bro and his two boys were headed to AZ pulling their enclosed trailer with RZR's inside. They were going directly into a head wind and had the choice of running that Bowtie on the floor or notched down two gears. Either way the MPG was horrible.

In the middle of the night his wife got a call from their credit card company. Someone had stolen their card and was stopping every 100 miles and buying out the service stations. She just :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:.

That's funny!

That's funny!

Yes, it was about 12 - 15 years ago, and they still had a landline. And $3/gallon is cheap here as well. Going to be expensive.

But this is the same guy that said we'd get 9 MPG pulling Big Blue back from Florida. So he just kept speeding up until we got 9, which was at 75 MPH.

Doubt we'll do that going or coming. However, there's a resonance in the exhaust at 65, so we may run closer to 70 where it is quieter. At least through KS and the foothills of CO. But once we leave Pueblo we'll probably be running slower.

Yes, it was about 12 - 15 years ago, and they still had a landline. And $3/gallon is cheap here as well. Going to be expensive.

But this is the same guy that said we'd get 9 MPG pulling Big Blue back from Florida. So he just kept speeding up until we got 9, which was at 75 MPH.

Doubt we'll do that going or coming. However, there's a resonance in the exhaust at 65, so we may run closer to 70 where it is quieter. At least through KS and the foothills of CO. But once we leave Pueblo we'll probably be running slower.

Gave Big Blue a wash and wax job today, but didn't get to clean the windows, vacuum it out, and change the oil and filter. And that was due to two problems: the dark blue was badly oxidized, and two of the emblems came off.

A few months ago I used polishing compound by hand on the dark blue, but it didn't get the job done. So today I used rubbing compound and my buffer. It is better, but not right - yet.

How do I know? Because the F250 emblem came off the left front fender and below it the blue is original. In addition, the Explorer emblem on the right flank was coming loose so I pulled it off as well.

I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the mounting adhesive off the emblems as well as the truck, and then used Gorilla Heavy Duty Double Sided Mounting Tape to mount them.

The Explorer emblem has two of its three tab, so I got it back where it is supposed to go. But the F250 emblem doesn't have either of its tabs, so I got it back close. I think it'll be fine, but if I replace it I might go with a pair of F350 emblems as, save for the VIN, that's what it is.

Washed__Waxed_-_Right_Side.thumb.jpg.e33f18bd8a7dc8af25fa412314d7adbb.jpg

F250_Emblem_Back_On.thumb.jpg.05bf3ed0b20d7bee9acb49c25641a0f7.jpgExplorer_Emblem_Back_On.thumb.jpg.677d57eef83ac1123491176d7e77bf72.jpg

Gave Big Blue a wash and wax job today, but didn't get to clean the windows, vacuum it out, and change the oil and filter. And that was due to two problems: the dark blue was badly oxidized, and two of the emblems came off.

A few months ago I used polishing compound by hand on the dark blue, but it didn't get the job done. So today I used rubbing compound and my buffer. It is better, but not right - yet.

How do I know? Because the F250 emblem came off the left front fender and below it the blue is original. In addition, the Explorer emblem on the right flank was coming loose so I pulled it off as well.

I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the mounting adhesive off the emblems as well as the truck, and then used Gorilla Heavy Duty Double Sided Mounting Tape to mount them.

The Explorer emblem has two of its three tab, so I got it back where it is supposed to go. But the F250 emblem doesn't have either of its tabs, so I got it back close. I think it'll be fine, but if I replace it I might go with a pair of F350 emblems as, save for the VIN, that's what it is.

Looks good!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174891662715?hash=item28b85afd7b:g:-loAAOSwfG5hGFzk

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.65035197dc020df35af02eefd76052d2.jpg

Thanks, David. If this one stays on I'll probably stay with the ones I have. But if it comes off...

A couple of things for today. First, I lubed the rear u-joint on the rear driveshaft, but had to pull the u-joint off and hold the end caps with a c-clamp to do that. The issue is that there's just no room to get onto the zerks fitting. And, there doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough room to put an angled fitting in there.

Any thoughts?

Rear_U-Joint_Xerks_Fitting.thumb.jpg.600ea9ad987b3acbde2be0bcd8416afa.jpg

Second, I forgot to post yesterday about my "bib" for changing the oil filter as well as the new filter. The bib is aluminum foil and worked perfectly. The filter is from Royal Purple, which came with the truck from Vernon.

And with that, I pronounce Big Blue READY for the trip to Ouray.

Bib_For_Removing_Oil_Filter.thumb.jpg.a70d69ffbca6ebe0528420824f228123.jpgRoyal_Purple_Oil_Filter_Installed.thumb.jpg.1e03922ad9c3749c50cdc7c0e6598750.jpg

A couple of things for today. First, I lubed the rear u-joint on the rear driveshaft, but had to pull the u-joint off and hold the end caps with a c-clamp to do that. The issue is that there's just no room to get onto the zerks fitting. And, there doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough room to put an angled fitting in there.

Any thoughts?

Second, I forgot to post yesterday about my "bib" for changing the oil filter as well as the new filter. The bib is aluminum foil and worked perfectly. The filter is from Royal Purple, which came with the truck from Vernon.

And with that, I pronounce Big Blue READY for the trip to Ouray.

I bet you feel good! :nabble_anim_claps: