Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I guess we are on the same page, Dane. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not doing anything with Big Blue at the mo as I'm getting ready for the show. But the spindle for the bumper's swing arm came in today so I just had to take a pic. Maybe after the trip to CO I can get started on the bumper.

Was just thinking that if I had the material I could mount the tow eyes and level them. Then bend and mount the 2 x 3 angle that attaches to the bottom of the frame, and tack it to the tow eyes. Maybe then lay the cross piece in that anchors the front of the receiver and tack it.

At that point I can measure the position of the openings on the tubing that will be the bumper and cut them out. Slip the bumper on and tack it in place. And slip the receiver in place and tack it.

Then it can come off to be welded up! :nabble_anim_jump:

Nice! Looks beefy!

Congrats on the license!

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice! Looks beefy!

Congrats on the license!

Thanks, Dane. It is beefy. RuffStuff says "This spindle is rated at 1.25k lbs in a stationary position (keep leverage in mind and the increased force that a long swing out can put on the spindle)." And then they go on to explain that you have to provide support at the far end of the swing arm when you are driving or you'll overload the bearings. I have that designed in, although a little tweaking will be needed before execution.

But, I think it might hold the tire and wheel. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, Dane. It is beefy. RuffStuff says "This spindle is rated at 1.25k lbs in a stationary position (keep leverage in mind and the increased force that a long swing out can put on the spindle)." And then they go on to explain that you have to provide support at the far end of the swing arm when you are driving or you'll overload the bearings. I have that designed in, although a little tweaking will be needed before execution.

But, I think it might hold the tire and wheel. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bummer about the alarm, Gary! Like you, I would be a little miffed about the lack of information, especially after wasting hours looking down rabbit holes...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Bummer about the alarm, Gary! Like you, I would be a little miffed about the lack of information, especially after wasting hours looking down rabbit holes...:nabble_anim_crazy:

John - It is all your fault. You asked why the light was flashing. I knew what had caused it but couldn't figure out how to fix it. And I didn't want to go to Colorado with that thing blinking all the time.

So I decided I'd find out. Pulled out the installation manual. Nada. Pulled out the owner's manual. Nada.

Google wasn't my friend as I couldn't find anything on it. Tested and got even further confused as the switches didn't always work.

Finally I called. Easy, simple answers to those questions. But none to "Why isn't that in the manual?" :nabble_smiley_cry:

John - It is all your fault. You asked why the light was flashing. I knew what had caused it but couldn't figure out how to fix it. And I didn't want to go to Colorado with that thing blinking all the time.

So I decided I'd find out. Pulled out the installation manual. Nada. Pulled out the owner's manual. Nada.

Google wasn't my friend as I couldn't find anything on it. Tested and got even further confused as the switches didn't always work.

Finally I called. Easy, simple answers to those questions. But none to "Why isn't that in the manual?" :nabble_smiley_cry:

I take full and complete responsibility for that.....:nabble_smiley_happy:

In today's world, we don't see many people whom will step up and take responsibility for "things"!

One other thing - I got the FCC license today for the GMRS radio. So I'm legal. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Having said that, the process wasn't the easiest, most intuitive one I've ever used. But, I guess since it is a government site I should have expected that. :nabble_smiley_evil:

What's interesting in this is that the license says it applies to my "immediate family". But there is no definition that I can find on that site for that term. However, this site says that "Immediate family refers to a person’s parents, siblings, spouse, child by blood, adoption or marriage, grandparents and grandchildren." So if that's the appropriate definition then the license covers my brother as well.

Nice job on the license!

I take full and complete responsibility for that.....:nabble_smiley_happy:

In today's world, we don't see many people whom will step up and take responsibility for "things"!

You are forgiven. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Just a very few things left to do to BB before the show & then going to Ouray. Change oil & filter, rotate tires, check tire pressures, and give him a bath.

Oh, and fill him up! Which reminds me, I need to peruse the map and guesstimate where we’ll need to fill up on the way out.

Nice job on the license!

Thanks, Scott. My nephew, Kirk, and I were texting about this last night. His father/my brother is covered by both Kirk's license as well as mine. Just a shame Dad isn't still alive - for many reasons. But we could have had him take out a license and it would have covered all of us. But, as they "only" cost $70 and last for 10 years I guess it is no big deal.

Anyway, Kirk has a list of supposedly the GMRS channels many use for various things. He, and my brother for that matter, are camping at the moment but he'll send me the list later today. I'm curious what channels to monitor, although my radio does have the ability to scan all channels so I could listen for activity.

Having said that, I've read that Channel 16 is the channel for offroading. Scientific proof that it is the best: 4x4=16. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Just a very few things left to do to BB before the show & then going to Ouray. Change oil & filter, rotate tires, check tire pressures, and give him a bath.

Oh, and fill him up! Which reminds me, I need to peruse the map and guesstimate where we’ll need to fill up on the way out.

Man, gas is going to kill you on this trip! Hope you've been putting some extra monies in the cookie jar. I filled up my back tank, and maybe a gallon in the front tank, last week when I went to Borken Arrow and it was $60.

Man, gas is going to kill you on this trip! Hope you've been putting some extra monies in the cookie jar. I filled up my back tank, and maybe a gallon in the front tank, last week when I went to Borken Arrow and it was $60.

Yup, 'tis going to be 'spensive. Each way is 850 miles, so 1700 miles and, therefore ~170 gallons. Then there are the trail days. And the hotel rooms. And meals.

BUT IT IS GONNA BE FUN!!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Funny story, years ago my bro and his two boys were headed to AZ pulling their enclosed trailer with RZR's inside. They were going directly into a head wind and had the choice of running that Bowtie on the floor or notched down two gears. Either way the MPG was horrible.

In the middle of the night his wife got a call from their credit card company. Someone had stolen their card and was stopping every 100 miles and buying out the service stations. She just :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:.