Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

We had a good outing today and Big Blue ran quite well. Here are the details:

Okie Overland: The place was mobbed by trucks set up for overlanding. Must have been 20 trucks there, but only about half that many people. Anyway, I talked with one of the guys about shackles, and he agreed with my thinking that on Big Blue I'll want hard shackles. But that I might want to use a soft shackle if I were to connect to another vehicle. So I bought a soft one, but they didn't have any hard shackles, so I hung up a flyer for the show and moved on.

4WD Parts: They didn't have any hard shackles with washers or o-rings, but the guy behind the counter produced an email where Smittybilt announced they are coming out with a set with both washers as well as rubber on the outer edge to prevent damage to the bumper. So I'll either wait for those or see what I can find online. But I did get the Smittybilt canvas bag so I can divide my kit up and make it easier to lift out. And, I hung up a flyer for the show.

https://www.amazon.com/Autmatch-Shackle-Isolators-Rattling-Protection/dp/B07FRFBPFN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=shackle+washers&qid=1629590084&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0SzRRTzBSM0dCSjAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMTYwMDMxQzFPTEFLWUM5NDlPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MzcxNTcxMU9LVTdPRDdXQUJYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Shaun! When that page comes up there are tons of isolators and washers. But all of those are in pairs and I only have one shackle. And I don't have the bumper yet to put shackles on. So I think I'll wait until I get the bumper done and then buy two shackles that come with the isolators and washers.

But it is good to know that stuff exists. I can't imagine why neither place I went into had any. :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks, Shaun! When that page comes up there are tons of isolators and washers. But all of those are in pairs and I only have one shackle. And I don't have the bumper yet to put shackles on. So I think I'll wait until I get the bumper done and then buy two shackles that come with the isolators and washers.

But it is good to know that stuff exists. I can't imagine why neither place I went into had any. :nabble_anim_confused:

On a tangent, I need to record this here to y'all can remind me when the time comes to build the bumper. Ok?

By the tow eyes coming down 1/4" the bumper needs to come down 1/4" if I want to keep the tow eyes centered in it. But the receiver is anchored to the cross piece, which sits on the angle, which attaches to the frame so won't move. And that means the receiver is going to be 1/4" off center in the bumper up/down.

Also, by flipping the angle so the 3" part sticks down the bottom of the angle will now be 1 3/4" below the bottom of the bumper. Not sure how that'll look, but also don't know what to do about it. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

On a tangent, I need to record this here to y'all can remind me when the time comes to build the bumper. Ok?

By the tow eyes coming down 1/4" the bumper needs to come down 1/4" if I want to keep the tow eyes centered in it. But the receiver is anchored to the cross piece, which sits on the angle, which attaches to the frame so won't move. And that means the receiver is going to be 1/4" off center in the bumper up/down.

Also, by flipping the angle so the 3" part sticks down the bottom of the angle will now be 1 3/4" below the bottom of the bumper. Not sure how that'll look, but also don't know what to do about it. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Just a little update. Got bored with cleaning the shop and packing for Ouray, so decided I'd play with the tow eyes for the bumper. As previously described, the plasma cutter they used didn't leave the smoothest surface, and the top edge as well as the radius at the rear had bumps in them.

So I pulled out my belt/disc sander combo and worked on one of the eyes. In the pic below you can see the one I worked on to the left, and I've circled some of the divots that the plasma cutter left on the other one. The end cleaned up very nicely but I have a bit farther to go with the top edge.

Still, I'm pleased that it is smoothing out so nicely. Now to clean up the mess I made. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Tow_Eye_Smoothing.thumb.jpg.c5387acd51be552d10dc14921063c544.jpg

Just a little update. Got bored with cleaning the shop and packing for Ouray, so decided I'd play with the tow eyes for the bumper. As previously described, the plasma cutter they used didn't leave the smoothest surface, and the top edge as well as the radius at the rear had bumps in them.

So I pulled out my belt/disc sander combo and worked on one of the eyes. In the pic below you can see the one I worked on to the left, and I've circled some of the divots that the plasma cutter left on the other one. The end cleaned up very nicely but I have a bit farther to go with the top edge.

Still, I'm pleased that it is smoothing out so nicely. Now to clean up the mess I made. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Just back from getting our booster shots and picking BB up from the A/C shop. They said the new hoses fixed everything and it is "blowing ice cold air", with no leaks at all and spot-on pressures. So I think an oil and filter change is about all that is needed before he hits the highway for Ouray.

Just back from getting our booster shots and picking BB up from the A/C shop. They said the new hoses fixed everything and it is "blowing ice cold air", with no leaks at all and spot-on pressures. So I think an oil and filter change is about all that is needed before he hits the highway for Ouray.

That's good news Gary. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm looking forward to reports about your adventure.

:nabble_anim_jump:

Just back from getting our booster shots and picking BB up from the A/C shop. They said the new hoses fixed everything and it is "blowing ice cold air", with no leaks at all and spot-on pressures.

That is C-O-O-L, Gary! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Morning, David! Yes, it is C-O-O-L! And with the heater shutoff valve and insulation on the plenum it should get downright chilly in the cab.

But I go from Big Blue to our modern vehicles and marvel at the air flow they have. BB’s pales in comparison. So I wonder about having a blower motor rewound to spin faster. Obviously it would pull more current, but I already have the relay supplying power so should be fine.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Morning, David! Yes, it is C-O-O-L! And with the heater shutoff valve and insulation on the plenum it should get downright chilly in the cab.

But I go from Big Blue to our modern vehicles and marvel at the air flow they have. BB’s pales in comparison. So I wonder about having a blower motor rewound to spin faster. Obviously it would pull more current, but I already have the relay supplying power so should be fine.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Here is something I noticed other day. Walter had been under carport while the rains came through last week - over 6" of rain. Figured he'd be better covered than the 2021 Kona I drive. BUT, with 90 degree days, when I rolled him out of the carport, the AC cooled the cab much quicker than when he sits in the sun.

Even when he sits in sun, the cab usually cools enough to turn air dwn before I get home in the evenings. I like COLD, so it would be better for others I'm sure.

But like you, I also notice the difference in blower output. Even told my wife I wished I had the blower from the Kona in the truck.

I did see on Vice Grip Garage where he was working on his old caddy that his squirrel cage had chipped vanes and he remarked it would affect the airflow, but it can be hard to find those parts. Makes me wonder... I have not looked at mine.

I also noticed this week that my truck seems to run hotter with the AC off. Clutch fan doing it's clutchy thing? I will be keeping an eye on the temps. I have been checking with an IR gun thermometer from HF - it's not getting over 200 while running anywhere but the ehxh manifolds.