Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

It's been really humid here of late. "Stagnant" is probably a better descriptor. 🤮

But fortunately temps are far better than a few weeks ago.

When you drop it off be sure to tell the person who will actually work on your truck that you care more about quality than meeting the book.

Most places are working against a timetable. And with as much extra "stuff" as you have stuffed under that hood it is not likely easy to get it done.

At least we can assume that all the fasteners are free and have good threads.

I would much rather pay another hour of shop rate than deal with torn plastic, cross threaded or missing fasteners, whatever...

We have had a reasonably cool summer. Have seen 100 a couple of times, but in years past we've seen 114, so it isn't bad. Nothing compared to other places on the planet.

And yes, I'll have a conversation with whomever is doing the work. He needs to understand that I did all the work on the truck and I'm quite concerned that his work is done well - not that it is done cheaply. Fortunately this is a small shop and it'll be easy to talk to him.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have had a reasonably cool summer. Have seen 100 a couple of times, but in years past we've seen 114, so it isn't bad. Nothing compared to other places on the planet.

And yes, I'll have a conversation with whomever is doing the work. He needs to understand that I did all the work on the truck and I'm quite concerned that his work is done well - not that it is done cheaply. Fortunately this is a small shop and it'll be easy to talk to him.

I don't think many mechanics are not caring about customer vehicles, but when you are getting paid by the book then that is your deadline and you might have to rush to finish.

Especially in a busy shop where another vehicle is scheduled for that bay according to the book.

And then, the next customer doesn't want to hear "we didn't get started on time because the other car took an extra hour"

Me? I understand that stuff happens and I would rather wait than know the last guy got a sub-par job.

I don't think many mechanics are not caring about customer vehicles, but when you are getting paid by the book then that is your deadline and you might have to rush to finish.

Especially in a busy shop where another vehicle is scheduled for that bay according to the book.

And then, the next customer doesn't want to hear "we didn't get started on time because the other car took an extra hour"

Me? I understand that stuff happens and I would rather wait than know the last guy got a sub-par job.

THat place I got Walter's AC fixed was awesome. IN an old skool way. Old service station - paint peeling off the office walls, owner smoking at his desk. Parking lot full of cars, young and old. 48 Chevy hot rod under a cover. Jeep CJ under a carport.

Couple young guys working in the bays. Owner probably a little younger than me and they had no books you could see. He told me what he thought and what they were going to do. And what it might cost in parts and labor. I left it. When they pulled it in, he called me and told me they were starting on it. Then called back with a question later. Then a little after that, called and said it was done.

Old school garages are rare these days. The ones that FIX stuff without worrying over what a book says it should be.

THat place I got Walter's AC fixed was awesome. IN an old skool way. Old service station - paint peeling off the office walls, owner smoking at his desk. Parking lot full of cars, young and old. 48 Chevy hot rod under a cover. Jeep CJ under a carport.

Couple young guys working in the bays. Owner probably a little younger than me and they had no books you could see. He told me what he thought and what they were going to do. And what it might cost in parts and labor. I left it. When they pulled it in, he called me and told me they were starting on it. Then called back with a question later. Then a little after that, called and said it was done.

Old school garages are rare these days. The ones that FIX stuff without worrying over what a book says it should be.

Old skool garages are rare today because you can't fix cars without computers and vehicle specific tools these days.

Also many things are designed as complete sub-assemblies with no way to test them or replace individual parts.

So service bay techs are resigned to parts swapping, even if they would want to fix a valve or replace a seal.

(You can't replace a seal when a part is designed to eliminate that failure prone seal and comes as a permanently welded assembly)

Old skool garages are rare today because you can't fix cars without computers and vehicle specific tools these days.

Also many things are designed as complete sub-assemblies with no way to test them or replace individual parts.

So service bay techs are resigned to parts swapping, even if they would want to fix a valve or replace a seal.

(You can't replace a seal when a part is designed to eliminate that failure prone seal and comes as a permanently welded assembly)

Right. This guy came recommended by someone that had a 2015 Kia Rio fixed there for half the price of the "book" places. I didn't look to see what all he has in the bays. He talks good about AC work though. He didn't start with "welllll... we'll just have to see once we get in there - could be 400 - 1000". He started out explaining what he thought. and what it could be and preferred way for him to procure parts. I offered to get parts and he said his way is Advance Auto because when he buys, they get all the right parts and some thrown in for free for him. And he started at $200 instead of $400.

And he fixed it for $113. Turned out it just needed flushing and charging. Had already been converted to 134 at some point. And he said bring it back if it quits so he can figure it out. SO far so good. Blower motor is the weak link now. Just doesn't move air like a new car.

He coulda taken me for a clutch compressor,. etc. But he didn't. SO he is my guy from now on. I think these guys are out there, just harder to find. And generally in less clean places. Another place I have used looks crappy, but dudes running it are ASE, GM guys. And they are sharp. Their indy shop does all the Northstar work for the local Caddy place. They were just too busy to get my truck in. So I found a new guy to use as well.

Right. This guy came recommended by someone that had a 2015 Kia Rio fixed there for half the price of the "book" places. I didn't look to see what all he has in the bays. He talks good about AC work though. He didn't start with "welllll... we'll just have to see once we get in there - could be 400 - 1000". He started out explaining what he thought. and what it could be and preferred way for him to procure parts. I offered to get parts and he said his way is Advance Auto because when he buys, they get all the right parts and some thrown in for free for him. And he started at $200 instead of $400.

And he fixed it for $113. Turned out it just needed flushing and charging. Had already been converted to 134 at some point. And he said bring it back if it quits so he can figure it out. SO far so good. Blower motor is the weak link now. Just doesn't move air like a new car.

He coulda taken me for a clutch compressor,. etc. But he didn't. SO he is my guy from now on. I think these guys are out there, just harder to find. And generally in less clean places. Another place I have used looks crappy, but dudes running it are ASE, GM guys. And they are sharp. Their indy shop does all the Northstar work for the local Caddy place. They were just too busy to get my truck in. So I found a new guy to use as well.

If you spend enough time doing just one thing, and learning to do it well, you get to know the pitfalls, and you also learn prophylactic measures to insure the success of your repair.

I'm glad you found a down to earth shop that was able to help without bending you over. :nabble_smiley_cool:

If you spend enough time doing just one thing, and learning to do it well, you get to know the pitfalls, and you also learn prophylactic measures to insure the success of your repair.

I'm glad you found a down to earth shop that was able to help without bending you over. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Fixed another issue on Big Blue today - the windshield washer. Turns out it was a bad connector, as explained here, but I thought it might be a common enough problem that others should know so I explained in another thread.

Fixed another issue on Big Blue today - the windshield washer. Turns out it was a bad connector, as explained here, but I thought it might be a common enough problem that others should know so I explained in another thread.

Well, I have a bit of news. Scott/Welderscott has convinced me that we should build the bumper/spare tire carrier. :nabble_anim_jump:

He was over today to check out some things on his '78, and when we got done we looked Big Blue over. During that he asked about the bumper/spare tire mount and suggested that we make it. He was serious, so I've now dusted off the drawing and am trying to re-learn how to use TurboCAD in 3D. (It isn't intuitively obvious to this casual observer.) And I've created a materials list. I'll hand off some printouts to him at church tomorrow, and will start thinking about this seriously.

I'm thinking that I can cut all of the materials to size as well as do the machine work, and then he'll come over and we will weld it up. I'm really thrilled with this as the welding on this needs to be very well done since the trailer hitch will be part of it. And Scott can weld it, that's for sure.

As for the "machine work", let me think a bit about what will be needed:

• Fisheyes: The swing arm for the spare tire has a couple of pieces that need to have "fisheyes" cut out of them to weld to the tube that will support the spare tire itself. And the lower part of the swing arm needs to be fisheyed to weld to the pivot. I'm wondering if I can use a flycutter to shape the openings. But I'm not sure that'll work as they'll be unbalanced. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

• Bumper Openings: There are several openings planned in the bumper, which is a 4 x 5 x .25" rectangular tube. I have a plasma cutter that can cut 1/4" material, but I could mill the openings out to ensure they are precise. Perhaps use the plasma cutter on the openings for the tow eyes and receiver, but machine the hole for the pivot for the spare tire swing arm to ensure it is precise and the swing arm pivots properly.

• Tow Eyes: These things are 1" thick and not only have several holes in them where they will bolt to the frame, they'll have the eye hole in the end and have quite a bit of material removed from them. So I'm going to have to put a new blade on the bandsaw that has a table 'cause I'll need to use it to rough in the shape and then mill it to the final dimensions.

• Spare Tire Carrier Plate: This is the plate that the wheel will bolt to and it will be 9" in diameter. So I'll have to rough it in on the band saw and then turn it round on the lathe. But that means I'll have to ensure the 2" carrier tube is inserted to it squarely so I can use it to chuck in the lathe. Hmmm, I wonder if I can chuck the tube in the lathe, push the plate onto the tube and against the chuck, and then tack it in place.

Anyway, I think this is going to happen!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I have a bit of news. Scott/Welderscott has convinced me that we should build the bumper/spare tire carrier. :nabble_anim_jump:

He was over today to check out some things on his '78, and when we got done we looked Big Blue over. During that he asked about the bumper/spare tire mount and suggested that we make it. He was serious, so I've now dusted off the drawing and am trying to re-learn how to use TurboCAD in 3D. (It isn't intuitively obvious to this casual observer.) And I've created a materials list. I'll hand off some printouts to him at church tomorrow, and will start thinking about this seriously.

I'm thinking that I can cut all of the materials to size as well as do the machine work, and then he'll come over and we will weld it up. I'm really thrilled with this as the welding on this needs to be very well done since the trailer hitch will be part of it. And Scott can weld it, that's for sure.

As for the "machine work", let me think a bit about what will be needed:

• Fisheyes: The swing arm for the spare tire has a couple of pieces that need to have "fisheyes" cut out of them to weld to the tube that will support the spare tire itself. And the lower part of the swing arm needs to be fisheyed to weld to the pivot. I'm wondering if I can use a flycutter to shape the openings. But I'm not sure that'll work as they'll be unbalanced. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

• Bumper Openings: There are several openings planned in the bumper, which is a 4 x 5 x .25" rectangular tube. I have a plasma cutter that can cut 1/4" material, but I could mill the openings out to ensure they are precise. Perhaps use the plasma cutter on the openings for the tow eyes and receiver, but machine the hole for the pivot for the spare tire swing arm to ensure it is precise and the swing arm pivots properly.

• Tow Eyes: These things are 1" thick and not only have several holes in them where they will bolt to the frame, they'll have the eye hole in the end and have quite a bit of material removed from them. So I'm going to have to put a new blade on the bandsaw that has a table 'cause I'll need to use it to rough in the shape and then mill it to the final dimensions.

• Spare Tire Carrier Plate: This is the plate that the wheel will bolt to and it will be 9" in diameter. So I'll have to rough it in on the band saw and then turn it round on the lathe. But that means I'll have to ensure the 2" carrier tube is inserted to it squarely so I can use it to chuck in the lathe. Hmmm, I wonder if I can chuck the tube in the lathe, push the plate onto the tube and against the chuck, and then tack it in place.

Anyway, I think this is going to happen!!!!!!!!!!

I think you mean "fish mouth"....

Fish eyes are something you find in paint from silicone contamination.

This is also known as coping.

I have an app for that. But because you are in Apple's walled garden I'm going to get a link to an online calculator that you can use to print templates.

You input the two tube OD's and the angle you want to join.

https://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

I think you mean "fish mouth"....

Fish eyes are something you find in paint from silicone contamination.

This is also known as coping.

I have an app for that. But because you are in Apple's walled garden I'm going to get a link to an online calculator that you can use to print templates.

You input the two tube OD's and the angle you want to join.

https://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

Yes!! Fish mouth! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I’m not in Apple’s garden save for on this iPhone. Do they have one for Windows?