Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ok, as things are washing and cooling, I have a question to ask of Scotty: How do I check for the right pushrod length?

Looks like I have Sealed Power RP-3288's as that's what they say on them, which are supposed to be 8.592" long.

"How do I check for the right pushrod length?"

Using something like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-9001/overview/

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, as things are washing and cooling, I have a question to ask of Scotty: How do I check for the right pushrod length?

Looks like I have Sealed Power RP-3288's as that's what they say on them, which are supposed to be 8.592" long.

8.55" is stock

But you not only need to account for the decking, but installed spring height.

Using a check (adjustable) rod is the best answer.

Jim - Scott says that it is a custom cam, called Voo Doo, and you can see the specs on this FB page where he documents the EFI engine he builds. And, other than the heads my short block is basically that engine.

That came in a conversation with him just now re how to check push rod length. (I will have to have new push rods as the walls on the OE ones I have are too thin and "will pretzel" according to Scott.) And here's the instructions:

1. Bring #1 up on TDC on the compression stroke

2. Install the OE push rods and rockers for the intake and exhaust valves for #1

3. Tighten the bolt down slowly on each rocker until all of the slack has been taken out of the valve train

4. Then carefully turn the rocker bolt until the rocker is down against the head and count the turns required to do so

The right length push rod, which he expects to be 8.550", will take 1/4 to 1/2 turn to pull the rocker down. But my 8.592" rods will probably take over 1 full turn. Anyway, I'll call and tell him how many turns and he'll know which rods to ship me.

Jim - Scott says that it is a custom cam, called Voo Doo, and you can see the specs on this FB page where he documents the EFI engine he builds. And, other than the heads my short block is basically that engine.

That came in a conversation with him just now re how to check push rod length. (I will have to have new push rods as the walls on the OE ones I have are too thin and "will pretzel" according to Scott.) And here's the instructions:

1. Bring #1 up on TDC on the compression stroke

2. Install the OE push rods and rockers for the intake and exhaust valves for #1

3. Tighten the bolt down slowly on each rocker until all of the slack has been taken out of the valve train

4. Then carefully turn the rocker bolt until the rocker is down against the head and count the turns required to do so

The right length push rod, which he expects to be 8.550", will take 1/4 to 1/2 turn to pull the rocker down. But my 8.592" rods will probably take over 1 full turn. Anyway, I'll call and tell him how many turns and he'll know which rods to ship me.

Ok, interesting, my Sig Erson cam is 292 and 310, or 214 and 226 @ .050 tappet lift, 114+4 listed as lobe separation. Lift is 0.517 intake and 0.536 exhaust. We called Erson and he asked how much tuneabilty I had using the MAF system compared to the SD system. The builder set the lifter position with the Ford racing shims. My rockers are Scorpion 1.73 ratio.

Ok, interesting, my Sig Erson cam is 292 and 310, or 214 and 226 @ .050 tappet lift, 114+4 listed as lobe separation. Lift is 0.517 intake and 0.536 exhaust. We called Erson and he asked how much tuneabilty I had using the MAF system compared to the SD system. The builder set the lifter position with the Ford racing shims. My rockers are Scorpion 1.73 ratio.

Looks like you have more cam than I have. That FB page says the cam is "Custom ground SD EFI friendly 207 / 219 / 113.6 LSA in at 107.5 ICL for chain stretch", and I found my notes that say it has .500/.525 lift.

As for the valve covers, they should look "just like that" as the powder came out of the same bottle. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Had thought I might do the timing cover with the same powder, but I just realized that the timing cover needs to be on in order to put the water pump on, and I want to paint the water pump blue with the block and heads. So, I guess the timing cover will be painted blue as well.

And, speaking of the water pump, I remember you pointing out that Huck's engine didn't have the backing plate on the water pump, which is what broke the bracket. Apparently water pumps don't come with the backing plate as the one I got from Scott doesn't have it. Where do I get one? Guess I'll go look in the MPC.....

Looks like you have more cam than I have. That FB page says the cam is "Custom ground SD EFI friendly 207 / 219 / 113.6 LSA in at 107.5 ICL for chain stretch", and I found my notes that say it has .500/.525 lift.

As for the valve covers, they should look "just like that" as the powder came out of the same bottle. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Had thought I might do the timing cover with the same powder, but I just realized that the timing cover needs to be on in order to put the water pump on, and I want to paint the water pump blue with the block and heads. So, I guess the timing cover will be painted blue as well.

And, speaking of the water pump, I remember you pointing out that Huck's engine didn't have the backing plate on the water pump, which is what broke the bracket. Apparently water pumps don't come with the backing plate as the one I got from Scott doesn't have it. Where do I get one? Guess I'll go look in the MPC.....

Ok, the Cover (Water Pump) is part number C8SZ 8508-A, and it is amazing the price differences I found with this Google search. From $20.70 to $39.98. With shipping it comes to basically $30 from Ford Parts Giant, and it is on its way.

Ok, the Cover (Water Pump) is part number C8SZ 8508-A, and it is amazing the price differences I found with this Google search. From $20.70 to $39.98. With shipping it comes to basically $30 from Ford Parts Giant, and it is on its way.

The FRPP part # for the backing plate is different, and available Amazon Prime (one day for me)

The price was right in there.