Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary, now that I see you have the hi lift, do you have the bolt on attachment that allows you to hook onto wheels? It helps a lot on trucks with a lot of suspension travel.

I have one with a hook on it, but I thought it is for bumpers. Is there another for wheels?

I have one with a hook on it, but I thought it is for bumpers. Is there another for wheels?

If you Google hi lift jack wheel lifter you get this. I've never used one, but hooks like these are for lifting by the wheel.

I've always just used the "nose" directly for lifting the bumper with no additional hooks.

In the search, I have one like the x bull. It depends what kind of wheels you have, I guess. And also how you feel comfortable using the jack.

I use it on one of my IFS trucks because if I jack the body, the wheels dont move enough to get them off. And the bumpers are more rounded than the Bullnose. Just a cheap tool I keep in my recovery bag...

That’s cool! Bet that training is interesting!

I would imagine so. I would like to have one of those bases but you had to buy a conversion kit. BUT I don't go wheeling as much as I did when I was younger. So I can make do with the one I have. I had a 60 inch bar for mine but I bent it pretty bad changing a tire on a front end loader. So I went back with the standard 48 inch one. I don't run the big tires anymore either so really no need for the longer one.

I would imagine so. I would like to have one of those bases but you had to buy a conversion kit. BUT I don't go wheeling as much as I did when I was younger. So I can make do with the one I have. I had a 60 inch bar for mine but I bent it pretty bad changing a tire on a front end loader. So I went back with the standard 48 inch one. I don't run the big tires anymore either so really no need for the longer one.

Ok guys, I guess I'll figure out what I ought to have for the jack to pick up the truck via a tire. Thanks.

Now for a report on today's doings. First, the bed cover has been somewhat wonky, stopping at odd spots and making ugly noises. So today I did what the instructions said and pulled the cover on the canister that holds the rolled-up cover. Lo and behold there were bits of chewed up plastic in there. And on closer inspection they were from a destroyed end cap for the slats that make up the cover.

The slats are aluminum extrusions that attach to each other to make the cover, and then there are end caps that fit into the slats that serve as the glides for going down the track and as gear teeth for the pinion in the canister to drive. But somehow one had obviously been destroyed.

So I pulled the bed cover out of the tracks. WARNING! Do NOT do this! The cover is HEAVY and there are no hand holds. Man, that was a huge pain to get back in the track. But I did. However, I found two more damaged end caps.

Given that I called Pace Edwards and talked to John, the tech. He said I probably have a dimension wrong on the rails and the cover got jammed and that let the pinion destroy the end cap. So he's sending me several end caps.

That means the cover has to come back out of the tracks. But this time I'm going to make some kind of support for it to lay on at about the same height as the rail. Maybe a couple of 2 x 4's out the back of the truck will work.

Also, I spent some time checking the truck over from the outing on the GOAT. Other than the hood latch bolts I've not found any other fasteners loose, although I do have more checking to do. However, I did find that my homemade rattle-stoppers had stretched or loosened due to all of the pounding, so I need to find the factory rubber isolators my nephew mentioned. Without something there to hold the springs together there's a tremendous clatter as you go down the road since the curved lower spring slams into the other spring on every bump. Anyone have an idea where to find them? Maybe Rock Auto?

Front_Spring_Clamps.thumb.jpg.dfb5e32884bc69089b91d26169b5e561.jpg

Also, I did check out the rear wheel wells, as Jim suggested. As you can see, below, the inner panel on the driver's side already is rusted away. The passenger's side isn't, but there's certainly rust showing at the lip. So I'll drill some holes on the passenger's side so the Fluid Film can get in there and do it up right.

However, when you get at the right angle and look there is still a tremendous amount of dirt, gravel, and sand up in there. So the first thing to do is to spend more time with the hose. Then, when it dries out, I'll coat it with the black Fluid Film I ordered today 'cause the can I thought I'd use is empty.

DS_Rear_Wheel_Well.thumb.jpg.2e2ede5e519655f35263e0e03d145895.jpgPS_Rear_Wheel_Well.thumb.jpg.74338d076dd715e0042d66da8d206b13.jpg

Ok guys, I guess I'll figure out what I ought to have for the jack to pick up the truck via a tire. Thanks.

Now for a report on today's doings. First, the bed cover has been somewhat wonky, stopping at odd spots and making ugly noises. So today I did what the instructions said and pulled the cover on the canister that holds the rolled-up cover. Lo and behold there were bits of chewed up plastic in there. And on closer inspection they were from a destroyed end cap for the slats that make up the cover.

The slats are aluminum extrusions that attach to each other to make the cover, and then there are end caps that fit into the slats that serve as the glides for going down the track and as gear teeth for the pinion in the canister to drive. But somehow one had obviously been destroyed.

So I pulled the bed cover out of the tracks. WARNING! Do NOT do this! The cover is HEAVY and there are no hand holds. Man, that was a huge pain to get back in the track. But I did. However, I found two more damaged end caps.

Given that I called Pace Edwards and talked to John, the tech. He said I probably have a dimension wrong on the rails and the cover got jammed and that let the pinion destroy the end cap. So he's sending me several end caps.

That means the cover has to come back out of the tracks. But this time I'm going to make some kind of support for it to lay on at about the same height as the rail. Maybe a couple of 2 x 4's out the back of the truck will work.

Also, I spent some time checking the truck over from the outing on the GOAT. Other than the hood latch bolts I've not found any other fasteners loose, although I do have more checking to do. However, I did find that my homemade rattle-stoppers had stretched or loosened due to all of the pounding, so I need to find the factory rubber isolators my nephew mentioned. Without something there to hold the springs together there's a tremendous clatter as you go down the road since the curved lower spring slams into the other spring on every bump. Anyone have an idea where to find them? Maybe Rock Auto?

Also, I did check out the rear wheel wells, as Jim suggested. As you can see, below, the inner panel on the driver's side already is rusted away. The passenger's side isn't, but there's certainly rust showing at the lip. So I'll drill some holes on the passenger's side so the Fluid Film can get in there and do it up right.

However, when you get at the right angle and look there is still a tremendous amount of dirt, gravel, and sand up in there. So the first thing to do is to spend more time with the hose. Then, when it dries out, I'll coat it with the black Fluid Film I ordered today 'cause the can I thought I'd use is empty.

Yeah, you're not going to like what you find above those wheel arches, packed down between them and the bed side.

That muck just stays wet forever.

When it is sand + salt from winter roads you can imagine how it eats away at a spot that will never get paint.

Sorry you're still having teething problems with the roller cover.

At least Pace Edwards is willing to work with you, to resolve it.

With the cover deployed are you able to try shifting it back and forth to see where it is shimmed too tight?