Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary,

Are you able to blend powders?

Say you wanted a metallic black, or a candy clear coat?

I have done some blending, but not very successfully. However, Eastwood has come out with a plethora of powders over the last few years, including 3D Shimmering Metallic Flake Cataclysmic Black, and Black Diamond Metallic, and Black Stardust, and Black Chrome. I've not used any of these so can't say what they look like, and the website's pics don't really do much for telling.

What did you have in mind?

I come from an IH family, so I'm glad you chose the correct answer. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gary,

Are you able to blend powders?

Say you wanted a metallic black, or a candy clear coat?

I have done some blending, but not very successfully. However, Eastwood has come out with a plethora of powders over the last few years, including 3D Shimmering Metallic Flake Cataclysmic Black, and Black Diamond Metallic, and Black Stardust, and Black Chrome. I've not used any of these so can't say what they look like, and the website's pics don't really do much for telling.

What did you have in mind?

I'm just a material science geek,. 🤓

I know a little about pottery glazes, and think of powder coat as much the same process but at lower temperatures.

Some glazes look nothing like when they are fired, and some glazes you can layer but not mix.

So, I was just wondering

I'm just a material science geek,. 🤓

I know a little about pottery glazes, and think of powder coat as much the same process but at lower temperatures.

Some glazes look nothing like when they are fired, and some glazes you can layer but not mix.

So, I was just wondering

Shaun - Maybe you could put a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI in your truck and paint it IH yellow?

Jim - Some of the powders come out looking very different from how the raw powder looks. I'm sure some can mix and get something that works, but it didn't work for me.

Shaun - Maybe you could put a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI in your truck and paint it IH yellow?

Jim - Some of the powders come out looking very different from how the raw powder looks. I'm sure some can mix and get something that works, but it didn't work for me.

Some strange magic occures when things pass their TG.

Some strange magic occures when things pass their TG.

Ok, I'll bite - what's "TG"?

As for what I did today, I got the valve covers blasted so they are ready for PC'ing:

And, speaking of PC'ing, I did a bit. Here is a before and after:

Transition to Glass temperature.

I.e. when they become molten and fuse together.

Nice work, Gary! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, David. Even if it is OTT? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Mid-day update. I awoke in the middle of the night worried that I'd not kept the rocker arm seats and the rocker arms themselves in pairs when I bagged them. And if not I've heard you risk them galling and then failing. But, I did keep them paired, and they are now in the parts washer.

Meanwhile the cast aluminum valve covers are cooling after their one hour baking at 400 degrees to drive off the impurities in the recesses. Otherwise that stuff vaporizes and blows the powder off when you cure the powder, leaving holes that look like fish eyes in paint. Then I'll rinse them with brake cleaner again, dry them with heat, and then coat them with powder.

Thanks, David. Even if it is OTT? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Mid-day update. I awoke in the middle of the night worried that I'd not kept the rocker arm seats and the rocker arms themselves in pairs when I bagged them. And if not I've heard you risk them galling and then failing. But, I did keep them paired, and they are now in the parts washer.

Meanwhile the cast aluminum valve covers are cooling after their one hour baking at 400 degrees to drive off the impurities in the recesses. Otherwise that stuff vaporizes and blows the powder off when you cure the powder, leaving holes that look like fish eyes in paint. Then I'll rinse them with brake cleaner again, dry them with heat, and then coat them with powder.

Ok, as things are washing and cooling, I have a question to ask of Scotty: How do I check for the right pushrod length?

Looks like I have Sealed Power RP-3288's as that's what they say on them, which are supposed to be 8.592" long.