Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Jim - I think you are onto something!

The kickstands are not used with the clamps that I drilled and bolted through the bed lip. Instead, they are used either with the ones called "straight grip" or the ones called "short grip" in the instructions below. In my case it would be the "short grip" ones because that's what brackets were shipped with the kickstands. And only those brackets and not the articulated piece that goes with those brackets and pushes against the underside of the bed top.

So that's how I installed them - just the "short grip" brackets and the kickstands. But after your comment I've looked more closely at the instructions and while they don't say to use the part that goes against the underside of the bed top, they show it in the illustrations.

So I need to install that piece, which will pull the rail back towards the bed, so I'll need to shim each side. And then, when the rails are the right distance apart I can tighten the kickstands to push up on the inside edge.

Thanks!

I guess 'not clamped or bolted'....

I didn't see the winged knob in your photos either.

So perhaps doing that will keep the rails from bowing inward when you tighten the kickstands?

At any rate it can't be good for the motor to struggle.

I guess 'not clamped or bolted'....

I didn't see the winged knob in your photos either.

So perhaps doing that will keep the rails from bowing inward when you tighten the kickstands?

At any rate it can't be good for the motor to struggle.

Bill - My father's instructions were "When all else fails, dig the instructions out of the trash." :nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim - Yes, I think this will make a big difference and help the motor a bunch. I'll be back in a bit to 'splain how it went...

Bill - My father's instructions were "When all else fails, dig the instructions out of the trash." :nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim - Yes, I think this will make a big difference and help the motor a bunch. I'll be back in a bit to 'splain how it went...

Well, I got things set up the way I think they should be and the motor is ok, but there is still a bit of bind.

Jim, I did have to take the rear A-brackets off and flycut 1/32" of each one. That gave me 62 1/4" at the rear and when I got the middle brackets installed, w/o the kickstands, the spacing was 62 3/16" at the front and a nice gradual taper to the rear. And the motor was happy.

However, the left rail had a very slight tilt to the inside and the right rail had a bigger tilt. So I corrected both of those with the kickstands but the motor was just barely getting the cover closed. So I backed off on the right side a bit and the motor is ok with the results.

And here's how close to level the right side is. Close.

Right_Side_Bed_Cover_Rail_-_Close.thumb.jpg.265d5913700eeb2716d3d4f290df9bb7.jpg

After that I warmed the engine up completely and did a bit more tuning. Discovered that the idle screws weren't out the same amount, so I started at 2 turns and adjusted in until I got to 12:1. Reset the idle to 550 RPM and it idles better than it has. Then I put the accelerator pump lever in the inside hole to give it the biggest shot it has.

So I think I'm ready for tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I got things set up the way I think they should be and the motor is ok, but there is still a bit of bind.

Jim, I did have to take the rear A-brackets off and flycut 1/32" of each one. That gave me 62 1/4" at the rear and when I got the middle brackets installed, w/o the kickstands, the spacing was 62 3/16" at the front and a nice gradual taper to the rear. And the motor was happy.

However, the left rail had a very slight tilt to the inside and the right rail had a bigger tilt. So I corrected both of those with the kickstands but the motor was just barely getting the cover closed. So I backed off on the right side a bit and the motor is ok with the results.

And here's how close to level the right side is. Close.

After that I warmed the engine up completely and did a bit more tuning. Discovered that the idle screws weren't out the same amount, so I started at 2 turns and adjusted in until I got to 12:1. Reset the idle to 550 RPM and it idles better than it has. Then I put the accelerator pump lever in the inside hole to give it the biggest shot it has.

So I think I'm ready for tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, that seems good.

I hope you have a great trip, and enjoy your weekend!

Take some pictures. 😉

Well, that seems good.

I hope you have a great trip, and enjoy your weekend!

Take some pictures. 😉

Thanks, Jim, will do.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. Scott talked me into going tomorrow instead of Saturday and I'm sure glad he did 'cause the weather looks wet for Saturday and most of the sessions are to be outdoors.

Bill - I'm taking back his speed control tester as well as the one you sent, just so you know where it is. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, Jim, will do.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. Scott talked me into going tomorrow instead of Saturday and I'm sure glad he did 'cause the weather looks wet for Saturday and most of the sessions are to be outdoors.

Bill - I'm taking back his speed control tester as well as the one you sent, just so you know where it is. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That was the idea, so there will be hopefully one good one for the vacuum speed controls. I know mine worked because I used it on my 1994 Taurus.

That was the idea, so there will be hopefully one good one for the vacuum speed controls. I know mine worked because I used it on my 1994 Taurus.

Much appreciated Bill! I tried the speed control a couple times this evening and there is definitely something wrong. Curious to know if it will diagnose it before I start swapping parts.

Looking forward to tomorrow Gary! No idea what to expect but should be fun. My daughter (7) thought it sounded interesting so will have a traveling buddy.

You guys lost me awhile back on the bed cover but glad to hear it may be licked now.

Much appreciated Bill! I tried the speed control a couple times this evening and there is definitely something wrong. Curious to know if it will diagnose it before I start swapping parts.

Looking forward to tomorrow Gary! No idea what to expect but should be fun. My daughter (7) thought it sounded interesting so will have a traveling buddy.

You guys lost me awhile back on the bed cover but glad to hear it may be licked now.

Bill - It worked on Big Blue, so I know it still works.

Scott - I'm looking forward to seeing both of you. (I know her name but won't put it out there.:nabble_smiley_wink:)

Bill - It worked on Big Blue, so I know it still works.

Scott - I'm looking forward to seeing both of you. (I know her name but won't put it out there.:nabble_smiley_wink:)

Here's a brief report on yesterday's trip, but you can read more about it in the thread entitled Trip Report: Big Iron Overland Rally.

First, Big Blue performed quite well. The adjustments I made to the carb made a big difference, and while there is still a small flat spot just off idle the AFR doesn't go higher than 16:1, so the engine doesn't mind pulling from idle now. That's made it a lot easier to drive.

As for MPG, I don't know for sure yet. However, I put 228 miles on the rear tank and it is supposed to hold 19 gallons. My math says that is 12 MPG, although I've not filled up yet so don't know for sure. However, that was done with a slight tail wind both ways and was done w/o the speed control at 65 - 70 MPH. The AFR read 14 - 15:1 while at speed on the highway, so it isn't going to get much better than that with a carb, although the EFI should help some as there were times at lower speeds when the mix was too rich.

Concerning the leaks, the paper towels around the power steering return/cooler lines are dry, so I apparently fixed that particular leak. However, there were a few drops from somewhere else in the P/S system, so I'll need to track those.

And the bit of paper towel around the brake line at the rear is wet again, although it absorbed the whole of the fluid that leaked, so the leak is pretty small. Given that, I did what I didn't think could be done and tightened the fitting one more time. We shall see.

Here's a brief report on yesterday's trip, but you can read more about it in the thread entitled Trip Report: Big Iron Overland Rally.

First, Big Blue performed quite well. The adjustments I made to the carb made a big difference, and while there is still a small flat spot just off idle the AFR doesn't go higher than 16:1, so the engine doesn't mind pulling from idle now. That's made it a lot easier to drive.

As for MPG, I don't know for sure yet. However, I put 228 miles on the rear tank and it is supposed to hold 19 gallons. My math says that is 12 MPG, although I've not filled up yet so don't know for sure. However, that was done with a slight tail wind both ways and was done w/o the speed control at 65 - 70 MPH. The AFR read 14 - 15:1 while at speed on the highway, so it isn't going to get much better than that with a carb, although the EFI should help some as there were times at lower speeds when the mix was too rich.

Concerning the leaks, the paper towels around the power steering return/cooler lines are dry, so I apparently fixed that particular leak. However, there were a few drops from somewhere else in the P/S system, so I'll need to track those.

And the bit of paper towel around the brake line at the rear is wet again, although it absorbed the whole of the fluid that leaked, so the leak is pretty small. Given that, I did what I didn't think could be done and tightened the fitting one more time. We shall see.

Good news all around!