Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

To close the loop, I got an email from Scott that said "We bead blast and reuse the OEM VC bolts with copper washers when needed. They seal better than SS bolts." So I'm going to blast the bolts and powder coat them, and if in the two sets of bolts I have I don't have enough of the nylon washers I'll probably use copper ones.

Also, Scott said "I buy bulk hardware in SS for assembly." And then later "The 93+ HD water pumps use 5" bolts in several places. I will have to look Monday. I have the list written down and posted in the assembly area." And I'm pretty sure he sent me the 93+ HD water pump. So I'll get the stainless water pump bolts from him, along with the head bolts and the locating dowels.

So today I plan to gather the many fasteners, and maybe some other parts, and start media blasting them. Oh yes, and I'll also blast the 2nd valve cover as I'd already done the first. Then I'll have to figure out what color to PC the valve covers, thermostat housing, and all the fasteners. Suggestions?

Bright Red!?!?

Chevy Orange? 😜

Dark Ford Blue, of course!

After all, what is the name of the truck?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To close the loop, I got an email from Scott that said "We bead blast and reuse the OEM VC bolts with copper washers when needed. They seal better than SS bolts." So I'm going to blast the bolts and powder coat them, and if in the two sets of bolts I have I don't have enough of the nylon washers I'll probably use copper ones.

Also, Scott said "I buy bulk hardware in SS for assembly." And then later "The 93+ HD water pumps use 5" bolts in several places. I will have to look Monday. I have the list written down and posted in the assembly area." And I'm pretty sure he sent me the 93+ HD water pump. So I'll get the stainless water pump bolts from him, along with the head bolts and the locating dowels.

So today I plan to gather the many fasteners, and maybe some other parts, and start media blasting them. Oh yes, and I'll also blast the 2nd valve cover as I'd already done the first. Then I'll have to figure out what color to PC the valve covers, thermostat housing, and all the fasteners. Suggestions?

You did mine in an aluminum powder, same as the intake and plenum.

You did mine in an aluminum powder, same as the intake and plenum.

Jim - Obviously there's not gonna be any red. A for the dark Ford blue, the block and heads will be that color, so do you also think the valve covers should be?

Bill - Yes, and that Silver Lining was what I was thinking about for Big Blue's covers, but wanted to see what others thought. Do you have yours on? If so, remind me how they look with the upper and lower plenum in that color?

Jim - Obviously there's not gonna be any red. A for the dark Ford blue, the block and heads will be that color, so do you also think the valve covers should be?

Bill - Yes, and that Silver Lining was what I was thinking about for Big Blue's covers, but wanted to see what others thought. Do you have yours on? If so, remind me how they look with the upper and lower plenum in that color?

Stock covers are silver.

I think it would be very attractive. 👍

I haven't put any of that on yet, I wanted to finish the engine harness on the extra lower intake then do all of it at once.

Then I'll have to figure out what color to PC the valve covers, thermostat housing, and all the fasteners. Suggestions?
John Deere Green?
I could, but NO! (I got that powder when I bought the oven and haven't found a use for it, but unless I'm going with a cherry red pair of plenums I think I'll pass on that idea, thank you very much.)

JD_Green_Powder.thumb.jpg.8b809bfdde3c2470f7dba065e5159a0b.jpg

I could, but NO! (I got that powder when I bought the oven and haven't found a use for it, but unless I'm going with a cherry red pair of plenums I think I'll pass on that idea, thank you very much.)

Gary,Are you able to blend powders?Say you wanted a metallic black, or a candy clear coat?***and didn't want to buy a whole container of it?***

As for reality (:nabble_smiley_wink:), Scott called today and we got the details worked out on my order and he got it on the way:
  • Head bolts: They aren't ARP's, but they are what he uses and are much less expensive
  • Water pump bolts: A stainless set
  • Head dowels
And then I media-blasted a part or two. These are the ones that will be PC'd black. I'm not sure I'll need all of those, but they were in the bag of parts that supposedly came off Huck. However, I think I may have merged the ones from Huck and the F450 Jim parted out so probably have too many. But, too many is better than too few when assembling things. Media_Blasting_-_111119.thumb.jpg.dfe7043a22fc2b862f917a4bf20a99d4.jpg

Gary,

Are you able to blend powders?

Say you wanted a metallic black, or a candy clear coat?

I have done some blending, but not very successfully. However, Eastwood has come out with a plethora of powders over the last few years, including 3D Shimmering Metallic Flake Cataclysmic Black, and Black Diamond Metallic, and Black Stardust, and Black Chrome. I've not used any of these so can't say what they look like, and the website's pics don't really do much for telling.

What did you have in mind?