Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232460141408

I will admit my brain is slipping.

These are 10W each and more the size of a cut off egg than a walnut.

But checking my purchase history I imagine I've had them installed for a year with no sign of failure.

The bolts and brackets are stainless.

The housings die cast aluminum.

Jim - The link takes me to a page that says "We've looked everywhere" but not to those lights. However, using the Safego from your pics and the 10w spec I found these from Amazon. Or these from ebay. Should be them, right?

I like the idea of a flood light, but the "incredibly bright" worries me. They don't hurt your eyes?

One of those on each of the uprights of the "rack", pointed somewhat fore and aft, would light up beside the truck nicely, and the backup lights would get to the rear. The cargo light is LED and lights the bed some, but with the tent installed wouldn't do much but hit the tent. So the LED strips you used under the hood would be nice under the gunwales. And all of that could be run off the cargo/dome light switch. Seem like a decent plan?

Jim - The link takes me to a page that says "We've looked everywhere" but not to those lights. However, using the Safego from your pics and the 10w spec I found these from Amazon. Or these from ebay. Should be them, right?

I like the idea of a flood light, but the "incredibly bright" worries me. They don't hurt your eyes?

One of those on each of the uprights of the "rack", pointed somewhat fore and aft, would light up beside the truck nicely, and the backup lights would get to the rear. The cargo light is LED and lights the bed some, but with the tent installed wouldn't do much but hit the tent. So the LED strips you used under the hood would be nice under the gunwales. And all of that could be run off the cargo/dome light switch. Seem like a decent plan?

IDK Gary....

I went to my purchase history, clicked on the 'share this item' button and copied the link to my clipboard.

They look the same.

I bought a pair (shipped from overseas) for $16.49.

Amazon is selling single lamps for $12.

Mine are not "incredibly bright"

They are bright enough to illuminate my bed and the area just around my truck.

I wouldn't want it pointing in my face, but it's not 'hotter than the sun' either.

IDK Gary....

I went to my purchase history, clicked on the 'share this item' button and copied the link to my clipboard.

They look the same.

I bought a pair (shipped from overseas) for $16.49.

Amazon is selling single lamps for $12.

Mine are not "incredibly bright"

They are bright enough to illuminate my bed and the area just around my truck.

I wouldn't want it pointing in my face, but it's not 'hotter than the sun' either.

That's the same housing of the ones I installed on my equipment trailer, just not safego branded (autosaver88?). They seem well made though I don't have any long term experience. I recall some reviews mentioned opening them up and sealing them better with a clear epoxy of sorts.

I agree with Jim's review- they get the job done for the size and price.

That's the same housing of the ones I installed on my equipment trailer, just not safego branded (autosaver88?). They seem well made though I don't have any long term experience. I recall some reviews mentioned opening them up and sealing them better with a clear epoxy of sorts.

I agree with Jim's review- they get the job done for the size and price.

Ok guys, thanks. Looks like those lights, from wherever I can get a good price, will be a good option.

Ok guys, thanks. Looks like those lights, from wherever I can get a good price, will be a good option.

The discussion in the thread Why Do So Many Beds Crack Here? got me to reading this TSB: Documentation/TSBs/Body, Windnoise, Water Leaks, Trim/87-01-18 Tool Box Mount. In it Ford says:

• Floor-Mounted Toolbox: This type of toolbox is preferred in severe usage applications since it is supported directly by the pick-up box load floor.

• Cross-Body Saddle-Type Toolbox: This type of toolbox is very popular but not the best for severe and off-road (4x4) applications since its weight is not supported by the load floor and its mounting location eliminates the use of the RPO in-box spare tire carrier. If availability, or load floor space constraints require that this type of toolbox be used in severe loading applications, the following installation guidelines should be used.

For vehicles without angle section rail and headboard protectors installed, the "L" brackets described in TSB Article No. 80-22-16 (Figures 12 and 13) should be installed prior to mounting the saddle-type toolbox. After these reinforcing "L" brackets are installed, the toolbox should be mounted to the pick-up box rails with 2-3/8 inch diameter bolts as shown in Figure 13. It is very important that these mounting bolts be "centered" in the bodyside inner panel support depressions as indicated in Figures 14, 15, and 16. For vehicles with angle section rail protectors installed, the cross-body saddle-type toolbox should be secured to the rail protector only, not through pick-up box side.

I've not had Big Blue's tool box out yet, but I'm SURE it isn't installed according to that TSB. Here are the relevant figures for future reference. But I may install some support between the floor of the bed and the bottom of the tool box as well since I'll have it loaded.

Thoughts?

TSB_87-1-18_Tool_Box_Mounting_-_Pg_5.thumb.jpg.24e0244f7835015440e8c74141e21fd4.jpg

TSB_87-1-18_Tool_Box_Mounting_-_Pg_6.thumb.jpg.efe55b63917be50b19b406922a5ca342.jpg

TSB_87-1-18_Tool_Box_Mounting_-_Pg_7.thumb.jpg.dec4e5e65a74747b98ceb1aa87e23cbe.jpg

The discussion in the thread Why Do So Many Beds Crack Here? got me to reading this TSB: Documentation/TSBs/Body, Windnoise, Water Leaks, Trim/87-01-18 Tool Box Mount. In it Ford says:

• Floor-Mounted Toolbox: This type of toolbox is preferred in severe usage applications since it is supported directly by the pick-up box load floor.

• Cross-Body Saddle-Type Toolbox: This type of toolbox is very popular but not the best for severe and off-road (4x4) applications since its weight is not supported by the load floor and its mounting location eliminates the use of the RPO in-box spare tire carrier. If availability, or load floor space constraints require that this type of toolbox be used in severe loading applications, the following installation guidelines should be used.

For vehicles without angle section rail and headboard protectors installed, the "L" brackets described in TSB Article No. 80-22-16 (Figures 12 and 13) should be installed prior to mounting the saddle-type toolbox. After these reinforcing "L" brackets are installed, the toolbox should be mounted to the pick-up box rails with 2-3/8 inch diameter bolts as shown in Figure 13. It is very important that these mounting bolts be "centered" in the bodyside inner panel support depressions as indicated in Figures 14, 15, and 16. For vehicles with angle section rail protectors installed, the cross-body saddle-type toolbox should be secured to the rail protector only, not through pick-up box side.

I've not had Big Blue's tool box out yet, but I'm SURE it isn't installed according to that TSB. Here are the relevant figures for future reference. But I may install some support between the floor of the bed and the bottom of the tool box as well since I'll have it loaded.

Thoughts?

So, they offer a retrofit kit for this, right???

So, they offer a retrofit kit for this, right???

I’ve not seen one, but there aren’t that many parts required. Commercial L-brackets for the corners to tie the header to the bed sides are the main parts. And some type of support under the tool box, along with the recommended ply to spread the load.

Or am I, as usual, missing something?

I’ve not seen one, but there aren’t that many parts required. Commercial L-brackets for the corners to tie the header to the bed sides are the main parts. And some type of support under the tool box, along with the recommended ply to spread the load.

I think you’ve got it. This is interesting to me. I hope to do this this summer.

And perhaps change my mounts. I currently have these, 3 on each side.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J2BKKCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5/16" (8mm) is a lot thicker than any shelf bracket at the big box, or even my lumberyard.

I can see making them myself, if I could get a 4' length of 1" wide bar.

Makes me glad my two job boxes are sitting in the bed.

5/16" (8mm) is a lot thicker than any shelf bracket at the big box, or even my lumberyard.

I can see making them myself, if I could get a 4' length of 1" wide bar.

Makes me glad my two job boxes are sitting in the bed.

Dane - Just for you I’ll document what I do. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim - I missed that they are 5/16”. Good catch. I’ll have to make those, as you said, and then powder coat them. But I’m sure that doing that and providing support on the bottom will help a lot.

Speaking of support, if I use wood what kind would you recommend as a spacer? I’ll put plywood under the box to spread the load, so the spacer won’t be against the aluminum, and the bed will be lined so it won’t be against the bed itself.