Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Bruce - I responded to your post in the other thread. I think that might actually be the lock actuator that I have. Thanks.

Wow! It has been 4 days since I posted in here. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But, I did get a few things done today on Big Blue. First, I've been thinking about it and I believe Jim is right - the best way to secure the tailgate is to have the rear bumper built that was designed quite some time ago in the Rear Bumper/Spare Tire Mount Thoughts thread. It has a place for the spare tire and the High Lift jack and would prevent the tailgate from being opened unless the tire support was swung away.

I have it drawn up in TurboCAD and had planned to have a friend that runs a fabrication shop build it. But he has been ill, so today I was referred to his sister that is running the shop at the moment. I hope to talk to her on Monday and then some time next week take the file and drawings over to them to see if they'd be willing to build it. But, I need to go back over the plans as I don't think I incorporated a lock in it, and that's needed now.

Next, I pulled the Mission Control switches out, revised the schematic to incorporate the new DPDT switch for the OX locker, and swapped switches. It works! Now the locker is actuated when you push the top of the button forward, so the natural, or off, position will be with the tail of the switch pushed in, like most of the others. And, if anything the LED on it may be less glaring, so I may get lucky with the LightDims.

Then I turned to the rear support for the Sony radio. You may remember that I ordered the bracket shown below, which slides on a brace in the dash and is supposed to take a screw on the back of the radio through that oval hole at the top. Unfortunately the screw on the back of the radio hits right at the top of the bracket rather than through the hole. And, the bracket needs to go back about 1".

E3ZF-18888-AA.thumb.jpg.fdcbebdcbf4d66106128658c234d29c9.jpg

So, now I'm pondering what to do. I could modify the bracket, maybe by laying that center tab down where the red line is and tacking a piece of angle to the top. A piece of 1 1/2" angle would probably be tall enough to let me put a 1/2" hole through it for the rubber tip of the screw. Anyone have a better idea?

Also, as I was pulling the dash cover off I dropped one of the screws and it went into one of the A/C vents. I could see it in there but it wasn't going to be easy to get out. And, as I was using the light to shine in there I realized that the register was filthy! So I pulled that one and the one on the right side and cleaned them. Here is a before and after:

Dirty_HVAC_Vent.thumb.jpg.37ebabc98e2cd5a172992c978f7611f6.jpgClean_HVAC_Vent.thumb.jpg.360d6c9f02d13f3779acd2ce5149c7a3.jpg

Wow! It has been 4 days since I posted in here. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But, I did get a few things done today on Big Blue. First, I've been thinking about it and I believe Jim is right - the best way to secure the tailgate is to have the rear bumper built that was designed quite some time ago in the Rear Bumper/Spare Tire Mount Thoughts thread. It has a place for the spare tire and the High Lift jack and would prevent the tailgate from being opened unless the tire support was swung away.

I have it drawn up in TurboCAD and had planned to have a friend that runs a fabrication shop build it. But he has been ill, so today I was referred to his sister that is running the shop at the moment. I hope to talk to her on Monday and then some time next week take the file and drawings over to them to see if they'd be willing to build it. But, I need to go back over the plans as I don't think I incorporated a lock in it, and that's needed now.

Next, I pulled the Mission Control switches out, revised the schematic to incorporate the new DPDT switch for the OX locker, and swapped switches. It works! Now the locker is actuated when you push the top of the button forward, so the natural, or off, position will be with the tail of the switch pushed in, like most of the others. And, if anything the LED on it may be less glaring, so I may get lucky with the LightDims.

Then I turned to the rear support for the Sony radio. You may remember that I ordered the bracket shown below, which slides on a brace in the dash and is supposed to take a screw on the back of the radio through that oval hole at the top. Unfortunately the screw on the back of the radio hits right at the top of the bracket rather than through the hole. And, the bracket needs to go back about 1".

So, now I'm pondering what to do. I could modify the bracket, maybe by laying that center tab down where the red line is and tacking a piece of angle to the top. A piece of 1 1/2" angle would probably be tall enough to let me put a 1/2" hole through it for the rubber tip of the screw. Anyone have a better idea?

Also, as I was pulling the dash cover off I dropped one of the screws and it went into one of the A/C vents. I could see it in there but it wasn't going to be easy to get out. And, as I was using the light to shine in there I realized that the register was filthy! So I pulled that one and the one on the right side and cleaned them. Here is a before and after:

You could probably incorporate some kind of overhang in the tire carrier so the tonneau cover cannot fold up.

Or perhaps you don't want to have to move the gate in order to get into the bed?

But Big Blue looks pretty high in the rear, so I don't imagine reaching into the bed with the tailgate up is going to work for you anyhow.

That's quite the predicament with your radio, Gary

You could probably incorporate some kind of overhang in the tire carrier so the tonneau cover cannot fold up.

Or perhaps you don't want to have to move the gate in order to get into the bed?

But Big Blue looks pretty high in the rear, so I don't imagine reaching into the bed with the tailgate up is going to work for you anyhow.

That's quite the predicament with your radio, Gary

Jim - I'm not following you on the overhang. But the tonneau slides in a track, so it would be hard to keep it from doing that.

As for height, the rear isn't high enough to prevent reaching into the bed fairly easily, although getting into the tool box is easier by standing on the step bar. But I frequently reach things in the bed w/o climbing up or opening the tailgate. In fact, I rarely open the gate.

On the radio, I can actually reach the bracket by taking my watch off and reaching up behind the HVAC controls. It leaves scratches on my hand, but I can get there - with difficulty. So I think I have it mapped out: I'll bend the top of the bracket down and then tack a piece of angle on there. With it installed I'll slide the radio in with a bit of paint on the tip of the screw. That should put a spot on the angle and show me where to drill the hole. And if there isn't enough room I'll put a larger piece of angle on.

Jim - I'm not following you on the overhang. But the tonneau slides in a track, so it would be hard to keep it from doing that.

As for height, the rear isn't high enough to prevent reaching into the bed fairly easily, although getting into the tool box is easier by standing on the step bar. But I frequently reach things in the bed w/o climbing up or opening the tailgate. In fact, I rarely open the gate.

On the radio, I can actually reach the bracket by taking my watch off and reaching up behind the HVAC controls. It leaves scratches on my hand, but I can get there - with difficulty. So I think I have it mapped out: I'll bend the top of the bracket down and then tack a piece of angle on there. With it installed I'll slide the radio in with a bit of paint on the tip of the screw. That should put a spot on the angle and show me where to drill the hole. And if there isn't enough room I'll put a larger piece of angle on.

I guess its been so long since I saw a sliding cover I hadn't even considered it.

Seems all I see are hard top covers any more.

I guess its been so long since I saw a sliding cover I hadn't even considered it.

Seems all I see are hard top covers any more.

To me it makes no sense to have a pickup and not be able to put things in the bed. And a hard cover would prevent tall things, for sure.

Having said that, one of my best friends had a Lightning with a hard cover, but he had NO intentions of EVER using it as a truck. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Anyway, I like the roll-up covers with aluminum slats. That's what I have on Blue and will have on Big Blue. Yes, you give up a little bit of space up front for the cannister, but otherwise the bed is quite useful, open or closed. In fact, if/when I get the spare out of the bed there will be more space in Big Blue's bed than in Blue's bed. Forgetting the cannister, Big Blue has 76" behind the toolbox and Blue has 66". :nabble_smiley_wink: (But Blue has the massive rear seating area with a flat floor, so in reality it is more practical.)

To me it makes no sense to have a pickup and not be able to put things in the bed. And a hard cover would prevent tall things, for sure.

Having said that, one of my best friends had a Lightning with a hard cover, but he had NO intentions of EVER using it as a truck. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Anyway, I like the roll-up covers with aluminum slats. That's what I have on Blue and will have on Big Blue. Yes, you give up a little bit of space up front for the cannister, but otherwise the bed is quite useful, open or closed. In fact, if/when I get the spare out of the bed there will be more space in Big Blue's bed than in Blue's bed. Forgetting the cannister, Big Blue has 76" behind the toolbox and Blue has 66". :nabble_smiley_wink: (But Blue has the massive rear seating area with a flat floor, so in reality it is more practical.)

Gary, hard tonneau covers fold up in sections, all the way to the rear window if you like.

Quite a lot of contractors (that don't have vans or cappers) use them for security.

With stake pocket tie down points materials can be held easily for transport, right on top.

Gary, hard tonneau covers fold up in sections, all the way to the rear window if you like.

Quite a lot of contractors (that don't have vans or cappers) use them for security.

With stake pocket tie down points materials can be held easily for transport, right on top.

Oh, we are talking about two different things. I was thinking of the one-piece covers, the fiberglass ones.

Yes, I've seen the folding ones. They aren't bad and I thought of that for Blue. But for Big Blue the availability of the cover with the tracks for a rack won me over.

We are going to be seeing our kids soon and I'm getting geared up for a conversation with my son. "Big Blue has a new engine/transmission/transfer case/u-joints/front axle/brakes/steering/alternator/cooling system/etc. And lockers front and rear. Lots of ground clearance. On-board compressed air. Locking tool box and bed cover, and so much more. He is ready, and Mom and I are taking him on many adventures. But, if you'll go overlanding with me I'll add the rack and tent." :nabble_smiley_evil:

Gee, Darth has I think 102" to the tailgate, and can seat 6, but the center front is a bit narrow, rear is a full width bench. Rear floor is flat, front has the tall hump (all the crew cabs got them) so leg room in the center isn't great,

Gee, Darth has I think 102" to the tailgate, and can seat 6, but the center front is a bit narrow, rear is a full width bench. Rear floor is flat, front has the tall hump (all the crew cabs got them) so leg room in the center isn't great,

Yes, there's no doubt that Darth has the best of both worlds - a long bed and a crew cab. Not to mention the DRW. But I'm doubting Darth would be much fun on the Jeep trails I hope to go on given the length and the DRW. Nor would it fit in our garage.

One of the really nice things Ford has done in the newer trucks is that the rear seats fold up and the rear floor is flat - no hump for the driveshaft. That makes the rear floor very useful for loading things. For instance, when Janey bought an secretary desk recently we slid it in on its back on the carpet. No chance of scratching it.

On the other hand, Blue has bucket seats up front and a console, so there's only room for two up front. And while I love that configuration, Darth wins on seating.

Yes, there's no doubt that Darth has the best of both worlds - a long bed and a crew cab. Not to mention the DRW. But I'm doubting Darth would be much fun on the Jeep trails I hope to go on given the length and the DRW. Nor would it fit in our garage.

One of the really nice things Ford has done in the newer trucks is that the rear seats fold up and the rear floor is flat - no hump for the driveshaft. That makes the rear floor very useful for loading things. For instance, when Janey bought an secretary desk recently we slid it in on its back on the carpet. No chance of scratching it.

On the other hand, Blue has bucket seats up front and a console, so there's only room for two up front. And while I love that configuration, Darth wins on seating.

My son used Darth in setting up and tearing down the Vietnam Veteran's Haunted Forest in Norfolk Virginia's Botanical gardens. The "roads through there were built for a tram (train of open sided cars towed by a rear-engined tractor, made up to look like a caterpillar and are maybe 9 feet wide. The cars follow the tractor similar to airport baggage carts or farm trailers and the "road" reflects that. He was able to drive through them in Darth without any issues except occasional "brushes" with small branches on the rear fenders.

I am not saying I would go up a jeep trail, but having seen a comparison recently by a bunch of real crazy off roaders, the Big Bronco did damn well, went places some smaller ones had trouble with. If I were going to build an off-road truck, I would start with an old M37B1 truck, put better gears in the axles (original is 6.37:1), better brakes, power steering and probably a decent 318, probably an older polyspheric head model and a 5 speed. Since the transfer case is divorced, it just needs room for a short driveshaft. I swore if I could get traction I could drive one of those straight up a wall. I pulled a 350 gpm portable pump that one of my fellow USMCR drivers had gotten stuck in the sand up to the axle on it's trailer (used M38 Jeep wheels) and simply pulled the extendable tow hook out to it's longest position, hooked up and used 1st gear Hi range and walked it out. I got real good at double clutching as 1st and 2nd were unsynchronized in those trucks.