Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Well, to tell the truth I didn't think of that until you asked. And while I haven't tried to put the pin in, I think it'll be ok. I hope.

As for what I got done this afternoon, the wiring in the back of the truck is all done. I have the positive wire of the two lights and the trailer connector's backup circuit tied to a #12 that is loosely draped along the frame to the front. And the grounds are also tied into the ground going to the trailer from the frame.

So the next thing is to run the trigger wire down to the backup light circuit after the transmission's switch and tie in there. And then run the #12 along that wire up into the engine compartment and tie into the relay. Cover both of them with convolute, secure them, and test.

But, I did put the front end of that wire on the battery just for grins and the lights came on, brightly. The shop's door is only ~3' away from them and they put a couple of ovals on it. So I opened the door and looked at them from outside, and discovered they aren't fun to look at. I think they are going to be pretty effective. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Speaking of that, I was curious how their rating compares to that of the 1156 bulbs our trucks use for backup lights. These lights are rated at 1800 lumens/ea while the bulbs are rated at 30 candlepower. But a bit of looking found that 12.57 lumens equal 1 candlepower, so that means the 1156 bulbs would have 402 lumens. In other words, these put out 4 1/2 times more light. However, I can't help but think they'll get a lot more of their light where I want it than the stock backup lights which try to send it all through a window the size of a postage stamp.

One of the improvements on the later trucks was a clear lens and bigger at the same time for the backup lights. Matt had put a set of 1996 taillight assemblies on his 86 F150, but didn't like the way they fit the bed, they're the ones on Darth and they look perfectly correct on the 1996 bed.

One of the improvements on the later trucks was a clear lens and bigger at the same time for the backup lights. Matt had put a set of 1996 taillight assemblies on his 86 F150, but didn't like the way they fit the bed, they're the ones on Darth and they look perfectly correct on the 1996 bed.

Yes, the later ones are better, but I don't think even they would hold a candle to these. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Speaking of these, I said earlier that they come with SAE fasteners. That isn't correct. Or, at least the nuts and bolts that hold the bracket to the truck are metric. I didn't check to see that the socket head cap screws are metric, but I'll bet they are.

I discovered my error when I was considering using a ring-tongue connector over that bolt for grounding the lights, and was just going to run another nut down to capture the connector. But a 5/16" nut didn't go and an 8mm did. However, I decided I'd be better off tapping into the ground circuit to the trailer, so went that way.

Yes, the later ones are better, but I don't think even they would hold a candle to these. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Speaking of these, I said earlier that they come with SAE fasteners. That isn't correct. Or, at least the nuts and bolts that hold the bracket to the truck are metric. I didn't check to see that the socket head cap screws are metric, but I'll bet they are.

I discovered my error when I was considering using a ring-tongue connector over that bolt for grounding the lights, and was just going to run another nut down to capture the connector. But a 5/16" nut didn't go and an 8mm did. However, I decided I'd be better off tapping into the ground circuit to the trailer, so went that way.

You can see the later style lenses with LED version of 1156 in my pic from Thursday.

These inexpensive LED flood/spot/work/utility lamps get better by the day.

But it still seems a crap shoot.

On Amazon you have as many (or more!) fake positive reviews as you do negative.

And then you have obvious idiots, as your review seems.

I find I don't like very "cool" lights for backing up.

I know, I know, it doesnt matter as long as you can see, but I changed lamp manufacturers twice before I hit on the third one as being 'right' for me.

You can see the later style lenses with LED version of 1156 in my pic from Thursday.

These inexpensive LED flood/spot/work/utility lamps get better by the day.

But it still seems a crap shoot.

On Amazon you have as many (or more!) fake positive reviews as you do negative.

And then you have obvious idiots, as your review seems.

I find I don't like very "cool" lights for backing up.

I know, I know, it doesnt matter as long as you can see, but I changed lamp manufacturers twice before I hit on the third one as being 'right' for me.

Yes, there's no doubt the later lens is better. But you also have a different reflector if I remember correctly, and I wonder how much that contributes to the better backup light. I like my Bullnose lenses and I think the LED backup lights are going to make a change of the lens moot.

But on the color, I did notice yesterday that these are quite "cool" and I may not like that. However, I also noticed that they aren't as wide-angled as I'd hoped. So I may not like that either. We shall see, literally.

I think the fact that I will be able to see is going to be such a huge improvement that it will be some time before I decide I need to change lights. However, that may happen so I'll keep my eyes open for low profile stem-mounted lights that are truly wide angle.

But, at $17/pair I haven't gone wrong. Especially when Rigid wants $300/ea for some.

Yes, there's no doubt the later lens is better. But you also have a different reflector if I remember correctly, and I wonder how much that contributes to the better backup light. I like my Bullnose lenses and I think the LED backup lights are going to make a change of the lens moot.

But on the color, I did notice yesterday that these are quite "cool" and I may not like that. However, I also noticed that they aren't as wide-angled as I'd hoped. So I may not like that either. We shall see, literally.

I think the fact that I will be able to see is going to be such a huge improvement that it will be some time before I decide I need to change lights. However, that may happen so I'll keep my eyes open for low profile stem-mounted lights that are truly wide angle.

But, at $17/pair I haven't gone wrong. Especially when Rigid wants $300/ea for some.

There's nothing stopping you from angling the lights out.

Mine are.

It works much better for me, and beside, the two flood beams don't need to overlap in the middle.

I can't see what's directly behind my truck anyhow.

There's nothing stopping you from angling the lights out.

Mine are.

It works much better for me, and beside, the two flood beams don't need to overlap in the middle.

I can't see what's directly behind my truck anyhow.

I'll probably do that once I see what the pattern looks like with them straight back. That's one of the reasons I wanted stem-mounted lights as that will let me turn them easily. Plus, I didn't want them back close to the crossbar for fear they might hit it when turned.

If the spread truly is 60 degrees then I could angle both of them ~25 degrees to the side and still have them meet in the middle. But I do want full coverage as these are intended to be used in camp so I don't want a dark spot.

I'll be anxious to see what you find out, John. However, most of my trips are with a copilot, so having her/him handle the directions has worked out pretty well and I might not need a holder.

On the other hand, I downloaded a Google Maps app into the Sony Music Center app, which connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and it appears to do something with respect to directions through the radio. I don't understand that 'cause the phone already read the next turn info via the audio, so I need to figure out what it does.

In regards to the Google Maps app, I'm not sure what you're saying. I have the app myself and use it all the time. In fact, I like it better than the Nav on my car which I don't keep updated because the app is better. And, if you have a blue tooth unit (stereo), you should be able to run it through that unit such that the voice will be transmitted through your speakers. Maybe you're having some compatibility issues with your unit and the phone??? In my truck, I have a Sony stereo with Blue Tooth and I can utilize the app and listen to the music on my phone through that stereo.

I'll be anxious to see what you find out, John. However, most of my trips are with a copilot, so having her/him handle the directions has worked out pretty well and I might not need a holder.

On the other hand, I downloaded a Google Maps app into the Sony Music Center app, which connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and it appears to do something with respect to directions through the radio. I don't understand that 'cause the phone already read the next turn info via the audio, so I need to figure out what it does.

In regards to the Google Maps app, I'm not sure what you're saying. I have the app myself and use it all the time. In fact, I like it better than the Nav on my car which I don't keep updated because the app is better. And, if you have a blue tooth unit (stereo), you should be able to run it through that unit such that the voice will be transmitted through your speakers. Maybe you're having some compatibility issues with your unit and the phone??? In my truck, I have a Sony stereo with Blue Tooth and I can utilize the app and listen to the music on my phone through that stereo.

I use G maps exclusively.

Pretty much because I've got all my popular destinations saved, so I can just ask my phone to "navigate to Rob's house"

I haven't found a single purpose for the Sony app yet.

John - I wish I understood what I'm saying, but I don't and can't easily go figure it out as I have to be in the truck with the radio on to get the apps, plural, to come up on my phone such that I can check them out.

But there are two apps from Sony that I've downloaded to my iPhone - Music Center and Advanced Car Sound. Music Center is a bit like Apple's music app as it lets you play music from your library on the radio - which is confusing 'cause Apple's app does that also.

But Advanced Car Sound, if I have the name correct, let's you adjust a whole bunch of things on the radio. Some of those things are also available via the front panel of the radio, like balance and fade. But there are a whole host of other things it can do that are not available via the radio itself, like DSP that changes the delay of the sound from the different speakers. And that stuff works magic!

But, there was also an option in Sony Music Center to download a "Google Maps" app. I did, which took some time so it wasn't the Google Maps app that was already on the phone. After that I have an option in Music Center to select Google Maps, and when I do the display on the radio says Google Maps. :nabble_anim_confused:

I've not spent enough time working with it to figure out what is different from the Google Maps app I already had. But it apparently works with the Sony radio in a different way, and I need to figure that out.

I use G maps exclusively.

Pretty much because I've got all my popular destinations saved, so I can just ask my phone to "navigate to Rob's house"

I haven't found a single purpose for the Sony app yet.

Jim - Which Sony app? I don't need Music Center, but do need Advanced Car Sound. And, as said, don't understand the "new" Google Maps app.

Well, that is interesting! I just fired up Google Maps on my iPhone. Then I fired up Music Center and then selected Google Maps from it. When I did it neatly slid over to the already-open Google Maps app.

So I used the trick of going from one app to another on the iPhone and went back to Music Center w/o killing Google Maps, and clicked on the pick in Music Center for Google Maps. Yep, it neatly slides over to the already-open Google Maps, showing wherever I'd left it on the map. IOW, it is the same app.

So that raises several questions. First, did clicking "install Google Maps" in Music Center just create a link or did it truly load a different Google Maps? Second, now that I've done that, what is different about the way the radio interacts with it. :nabble_thinking-26_orig: