Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Bill - Wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to put GPS info in the rear view mirror? Toggle between rear view mirror, rear view camera, and GPS map?

I wouldn't want to be looking up at the rearview while driving.

What do you mean "GPS info"? a set of coordinates?

Because location, speed and direction of travel are all you get from GPS.

navigation is more AI than app. (But it's definitely only using coordinates to to "inform" the algorithms)

I'd like to see information projected on the windscreen.

An augmented reality, if you will.

But I guess in the case of a backup camera it would have to be a solid projection in glaring sun.

Bill - Wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to put GPS info in the rear view mirror? Toggle between rear view mirror, rear view camera, and GPS map?

I'm with Jim in a big no for GPS in rear view mirror. Better place would be head's up style display. But, for our trucks, my phone in a phone holder is just fine! Gary, you are never going to finish that truck dreaming up all these things to do to it. And, poor Dad's truck sits over there pushed aside, unfinished, neglected, dust all over him....LOL!

I'm with Jim in a big no for GPS in rear view mirror. Better place would be head's up style display. But, for our trucks, my phone in a phone holder is just fine! Gary, you are never going to finish that truck dreaming up all these things to do to it. And, poor Dad's truck sits over there pushed aside, unfinished, neglected, dust all over him....LOL!

I am waiting for a tablet to be installed in the visor :nabble_smiley_wink:

Some of those HUDs are pretty neat.

If you hadn't just bought the new headunit I would suggest an android one to add all of these features in one place. I haven't picked one up but the manufacturer of mine makes a birds eye view camera to use with it (I just have the basic backup camera). Never thought I'd care for one of those but in my wife's new explorer it doesn't take long to appreciate it.

I am waiting for a tablet to be installed in the visor :nabble_smiley_wink:

Some of those HUDs are pretty neat.

If you hadn't just bought the new headunit I would suggest an android one to add all of these features in one place. I haven't picked one up but the manufacturer of mine makes a birds eye view camera to use with it (I just have the basic backup camera). Never thought I'd care for one of those but in my wife's new explorer it doesn't take long to appreciate it.

Ok, I guess the term "GPS" wasn't what I mean. More navigation. But it was just a thought, and probably should be a fleeting thought.

And an Android head unit might have been nice, but is it single DIN? I'm limited to that due to the switches, which is why I'm interested in the mirror/camera/display combo.

As for "finishing", where's the fun in that? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, I'm getting close to having the big ticket items done, but there are soooooo many "little" items to do. Like the Explorer emblem on the right rear. The front of it is loose so I've taped it on so it doesn't break off. I got in some Gorilla mounting tape today so will some day pry the emblem off, gently, apply tape, cut out the openings, and the stick it on.

But there's the fog light relay. And then the backup light relay and all the wiring, plus backup lights themselves. Remind me what you guys have used for aux backup lights?

And the cable for the OX locker came in today. As did the LightDims, finally. And the new switch for the front locker in Mission Control. Then the compressor. And finally, air conditioning.

But today I installed the new vacuum gauge. The shot on the left shows how much it cleaned things up, and the shot on the right is my view, confirming that the tach is quite visible. Thanks again, David!

Vacuum_Gauge_-_Side_View.thumb.jpg.fae9987b3cef9637cbee5ab0f1788b22.jpgVacuum_Gauge_-_Front_View.thumb.jpg.8394c383c3568beac5916d6765326069.jpg

Ok, I guess the term "GPS" wasn't what I mean. More navigation. But it was just a thought, and probably should be a fleeting thought.

And an Android head unit might have been nice, but is it single DIN? I'm limited to that due to the switches, which is why I'm interested in the mirror/camera/display combo.

As for "finishing", where's the fun in that? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, I'm getting close to having the big ticket items done, but there are soooooo many "little" items to do. Like the Explorer emblem on the right rear. The front of it is loose so I've taped it on so it doesn't break off. I got in some Gorilla mounting tape today so will some day pry the emblem off, gently, apply tape, cut out the openings, and the stick it on.

But there's the fog light relay. And then the backup light relay and all the wiring, plus backup lights themselves. Remind me what you guys have used for aux backup lights?

And the cable for the OX locker came in today. As did the LightDims, finally. And the new switch for the front locker in Mission Control. Then the compressor. And finally, air conditioning.

But today I installed the new vacuum gauge. The shot on the left shows how much it cleaned things up, and the shot on the right is my view, confirming that the tach is quite visible. Thanks again, David!

I'm 100% with John, I'm having my phone holder mounted to the dash. I'm

I have a pair of inexpensive five-in aluminum house LEDs they are mounted on either side of the crossbar of my receiver hitch

They seem to work so well that I sent a pair to Frank Wyatt for his truck

I'm 100% with John, I'm having my phone holder mounted to the dash. I'm

I have a pair of inexpensive five-in aluminum house LEDs they are mounted on either side of the crossbar of my receiver hitch

They seem to work so well that I sent a pair to Frank Wyatt for his truck

Jim - that reminds me of these that I've come across in searches before. Not a solution for everyone but a solution nonetheless.

I am installing driving lights on my 86 back there but that was 95% based on the look of the lights...

Jim - that reminds me of these that I've come across in searches before. Not a solution for everyone but a solution nonetheless.

I am installing driving lights on my 86 back there but that was 95% based on the look of the lights...

I don't have a place to put a phone holder on the dash. So far we've just laid the phone in the little drink holder thing that sits on the seat, but we are considering one of the arm rest/drink holder combos so dunno how that would work.

Scott - Not sure those lights would go on the back of BB. Wouldn't want them to hang down, but the shot below from this brand light, that clamps on the same way, shows the lights side-by-side and that might work nicely. But, how did they do that?

Side_By_Side_Backup_Lights.thumb.jpg.3b0e4397a282b592261d600d1d4e1b17.jpg

I don't have a place to put a phone holder on the dash. So far we've just laid the phone in the little drink holder thing that sits on the seat, but we are considering one of the arm rest/drink holder combos so dunno how that would work.

Scott - Not sure those lights would go on the back of BB. Wouldn't want them to hang down, but the shot below from this brand light, that clamps on the same way, shows the lights side-by-side and that might work nicely. But, how did they do that?

Good question. Flipping them up vs down - no problem. How they have them side by side in that one photo :nabble_anim_confused: Assuming a different product photo got slipped into the collage.

Good question. Flipping them up vs down - no problem. How they have them side by side in that one photo :nabble_anim_confused: Assuming a different product photo got slipped into the collage.

Yes, that's my thinking as well. I think I could put them beside the hitch, but don't want to put them below.

Looking at that pic I might have an issue with the trailer connector, but I can move that.

Rear_Trim_Panel_Half_Done.thumb.jpg.1d07e435f1f7ebe4b68f5ce4f0271ae4.jpg