Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yes, there is a reason - to power the air compressor below. And the main need is to air the tires back up at the end of a trail. I'll air down to ~15 psi before hitting a trail, but the end of many of the trails in Colorado is back on the blacktop, so I'll have to air back up if I'm going very far/fast.

The compressor will be split up, with the tank going below the bed in front of the right rear tire. The compressor itself will go in the tool box in the bed. If I'm just topping the tank up, like towards the end of the trail, I can run it with the lid closed. But when I get to the end of the trail I'll open the lid, get the air hose and plug it in, and air the tires up. With the lid open the compressor will get plenty of air as it cycles on and off while I'm airing up.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87796/HF_200_PSI_Compressor.jpg

But since you have a transfer case on the truck doesnt it have a PTO spot where you could throw in a PTO driven air compressor? This would remove the electrical load youd need for running a electric air compressor and you can be airing up the tank while you are wheeling off road.

That is what I was thinking of doing if I did the 4wd conversion, running a PTO driven aircompressor so all I would have to mount to the truck would be an air tank.

The transfer cases don't have PTO options, but my ZF5 does. However, there's not much room beside the tranny and I'm not familiar with PTO. This option came up and I went with it.

But I can easily top up the tank while on the trail by pushing buttons in Mission Control. If Aux Power is on, which it would be normally when the key is on but can be brought on when the key is off, the inverter will be running. And then just turn the Air Compressor switch on and it'll top up the tank - to 200 PSI.

However, that also means I have power for all sorts of accessories, like charging this tablet, and my battery-powered tools, and ... Apparently Ford thinks this is a good idea as their new 2021 trucks have serious AC power as an option, with levels of 2.0, 2.4, and 7.2 KW. My 3.0KW fits right in there. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Switches_In_Place_-_Save_OX.thumb.jpg.72c69d00db21d6cdff80fcc1fd72dabb.jpg

The transfer cases don't have PTO options, but my ZF5 does. However, there's not much room beside the tranny and I'm not familiar with PTO. This option came up and I went with it.

But I can easily top up the tank while on the trail by pushing buttons in Mission Control. If Aux Power is on, which it would be normally when the key is on but can be brought on when the key is off, the inverter will be running. And then just turn the Air Compressor switch on and it'll top up the tank - to 200 PSI.

However, that also means I have power for all sorts of accessories, like charging this tablet, and my battery-powered tools, and ... Apparently Ford thinks this is a good idea as their new 2021 trucks have serious AC power as an option, with levels of 2.0, 2.4, and 7.2 KW. My 3.0KW fits right in there. :nabble_smiley_wink:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87800/Switches_In_Place_-_Save_OX.jpg

Im quite familiar with PTOs, ive seen them on larger Ford trucks like the F350s for example for running hydraulic dump beds and my diesel and gas ford tractors have flywheel driven PTOs. On the transfer case/transmission ran PTOs you have a engage/disengage cable you have to pull in or out to engage or disengage the PTO as you cant run the PTO all the time in most cases. In cases of tractor applications they are designed to run all the time as they provide hydraulic pressure for the systems you are using and when you arent using them the PTO still spins but it just cycles the fluid and dumps it back into the case where all hydraulic fluid is stored.

I agree Ford thinks its a nice idea to have them, Ive seen them quite a bit on newer trucks. I just prefer a mechanical system over electrical when dealing with compressed air or hydraulic systems as they seem more robust and for me I like to limit electrical load as much as possible.

On the power aspect, I really am contemplating popping the metal plug on my lighter out and installing a USB power port. Only draw back is you have to have the ash tray open to use it and currently the Galaxy CB I switched to needs to be shifted to the driverside a bit as I cant open the ashtray anymore as my Galaxy unit is a little bit wider than the Cobra I had that allowed the ashtray to be opened and closed.

I still do like the switch panel how ever, been trying to figure out what to put on my bezel above the radio as it is just empty. My original bezel I had a ford oval sticker but I have a used one I took out of a customers truck that wanted woodgrain and I used that to cut the opening for a clock out that way if I ever wanted to omit the clock I can throw my original one back in with no problem.

I was looking at some "Texas Edition" emblems but they are either all way too big or too gaudy looking and doesnt match the vintage of the truck.

Is Fords 7,200W inverter rated for 14,400 surge?

If so, that's a hell of a lot of power!

I'm pretty shocked they can get away with this. (pun intended)

Is Fords 7,200W inverter rated for 14,400 surge?

If so, that's a hell of a lot of power!

I'm pretty shocked they can get away with this. (pun intended)

Well, it isn't just an inverter. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's what Forbes says:

Since the beginning of hybrid vehicles, engineers, hobbyists and contractors have been scheming and theorizing about how to repurpose some of that electricity-generating capability for uses other than forward motion.

Ford Motor Co. has managed to streamline the power-harnessing process in its 2021 F-150 PowerBoost hybrid pickup that features an onboard AC system called the Pro Power. (AC stands for alternating current, the type of electricity found in homes, different from DC, or direct current, used in vehicles for onboard functions). The Pro Power makes accessing electricity in remote locations as convenient and straightforward as plugging in a kitchen blender to a wall receptacle.

This is not the first attempt at extracting significant amounts of AC from a fossil fuel engine. Tractors and work trucks have for years offered the option of a PTO (power take-off) to drive an external generator or pump. Custom generators integrated into heavy-duty diesel pickups have also been around for some time. But those are crude by comparison, and operation is generally out of the scope and budget of the average user.

The Ford F-150 PowerBoost hybrid’s Pro Power system uses the trucks existing hybrid technology, reducing the amount of redundant hardware and doubling down on the benefits of its onboard 1.5 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery and 35-kilowatt motor/generator.

The available Ford Pro Power Onboard will be offered in three strengths rated at 2.0, 2.4 and 7.2 kilowatts, or kW, a measure equal to 1,000 watts. That equates to 2,000, 2,400 and 7,200 watts of electrical output in the three systems. All are designed to provide convenient AC power right from the factory. The two more powerful systems likely offer enough power to eliminate the need for a portable generator.

The 2.0-kW system is available on the F-150’s equipped with a gasoline 2.7-liter, the 3.5-liter Ecoboost V6 and the 5.0-liter V8 non-hybrid engines. Power is accessed via two standard 120-volt, 20-amp outlets in the bed, nearly identical to the electrical outlets in your home). Its best suited for tailgating, light-load camping or powering small electrical devices.

The 2.4-kW is standard on the 2021 F-150 when equipped with the 3.5-liter V6 hybrid “PowerBoost” engine. Electricity is accessed through two standard 120-volt, 20-amp outlets in the bed, and Ford claims an 85-hour run time on a single tank of gas. For people who often go off-the-grid, the 2.4 kW system could eliminate the need to lug around a noisy and thirsty standalone portable generator.

The 7.4-kW system is optional on the 2021 F-150 PowerBoost. It offers four bed-mounted 120-volt outlets and a dedicated 240-volt circuit. Ford claims it will run for 32 hours on a full tank. This system is designed for the serious user and is robust enough to run a small construction site or power a mobile mechanic’s toolbox.

Well, it isn't just an inverter. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's what Forbes says:

Since the beginning of hybrid vehicles, engineers, hobbyists and contractors have been scheming and theorizing about how to repurpose some of that electricity-generating capability for uses other than forward motion.

Ford Motor Co. has managed to streamline the power-harnessing process in its 2021 F-150 PowerBoost hybrid pickup that features an onboard AC system called the Pro Power. (AC stands for alternating current, the type of electricity found in homes, different from DC, or direct current, used in vehicles for onboard functions). The Pro Power makes accessing electricity in remote locations as convenient and straightforward as plugging in a kitchen blender to a wall receptacle.

This is not the first attempt at extracting significant amounts of AC from a fossil fuel engine. Tractors and work trucks have for years offered the option of a PTO (power take-off) to drive an external generator or pump. Custom generators integrated into heavy-duty diesel pickups have also been around for some time. But those are crude by comparison, and operation is generally out of the scope and budget of the average user.

The Ford F-150 PowerBoost hybrid’s Pro Power system uses the trucks existing hybrid technology, reducing the amount of redundant hardware and doubling down on the benefits of its onboard 1.5 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery and 35-kilowatt motor/generator.

The available Ford Pro Power Onboard will be offered in three strengths rated at 2.0, 2.4 and 7.2 kilowatts, or kW, a measure equal to 1,000 watts. That equates to 2,000, 2,400 and 7,200 watts of electrical output in the three systems. All are designed to provide convenient AC power right from the factory. The two more powerful systems likely offer enough power to eliminate the need for a portable generator.

The 2.0-kW system is available on the F-150’s equipped with a gasoline 2.7-liter, the 3.5-liter Ecoboost V6 and the 5.0-liter V8 non-hybrid engines. Power is accessed via two standard 120-volt, 20-amp outlets in the bed, nearly identical to the electrical outlets in your home). Its best suited for tailgating, light-load camping or powering small electrical devices.

The 2.4-kW is standard on the 2021 F-150 when equipped with the 3.5-liter V6 hybrid “PowerBoost” engine. Electricity is accessed through two standard 120-volt, 20-amp outlets in the bed, and Ford claims an 85-hour run time on a single tank of gas. For people who often go off-the-grid, the 2.4 kW system could eliminate the need to lug around a noisy and thirsty standalone portable generator.

The 7.4-kW system is optional on the 2021 F-150 PowerBoost. It offers four bed-mounted 120-volt outlets and a dedicated 240-volt circuit. Ford claims it will run for 32 hours on a full tank. This system is designed for the serious user and is robust enough to run a small construction site or power a mobile mechanic’s toolbox.

Got the relay box wired up today, the one with the relay for the air compressor, the two USB charging ports, & two 12v power ports.

Here's a shot of it before installation:

Relay_Box_Wiring_Done.thumb.jpg.0528707c4701ef7f6f887c91abc25f9d.jpg

And here 'tis with 12v on it. The USB ports pull ~25ma together and the plug-in charger on the right adds ~5ma.

Relay_Box_Works.thumb.jpg.5a74be1cf160e72b7d339be45f92037e.jpg

Last, here it is installed and connected to the power inputs of the inverter. Power to both of them will be controlled by the Aux Power switch in Mission Control, and the relay will be pulled in via the Air Compressor switch there as well.

Relay_Box_Installed.thumb.jpg.0e024e026dd9bc5216c66e1c1acabf40.jpg

Got the relay box wired up today, the one with the relay for the air compressor, the two USB charging ports, & two 12v power ports.

Here's a shot of it before installation:

And here 'tis with 12v on it. The USB ports pull ~25ma together and the plug-in charger on the right adds ~5ma.

Last, here it is installed and connected to the power inputs of the inverter. Power to both of them will be controlled by the Aux Power switch in Mission Control, and the relay will be pulled in via the Air Compressor switch there as well.

Progress is GOOD! 👍

That's a nice clean install, Gary.

Progress is GOOD! 👍

That's a nice clean install, Gary.

Thanks, Jim. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Yes, I'm very pleased with the way that turned out. It is fiddly to get in there because it is such a tight fit, but it works nicely.

As I was just telling Janey, the storage unit is going to be home to a number of things that can take advantage of the power there. For instance, my jump-start battery has a 120v charger so will be plugged into the inverter and will always be "hot". The GMRS handhelds can be charged via the 12v power port. My really nice flashlight charges via USB, as do the LED worklights I got for $8/ea. And, by the way, those things are indispensable, so at least one will go on any overlanding trip.

Plus, I'll probably take some of my Ridgid 18V tools on any trip, and the charger for them will plug into the inverter. On several trip reports I've read that downed trees have been a pain, so the cordless sawzall will go. And an impact might be handy. And maybe a drill.

So, I see the inverter and the storage unit being extremely handy!

Thanks, Jim. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Yes, I'm very pleased with the way that turned out. It is fiddly to get in there because it is such a tight fit, but it works nicely.

As I was just telling Janey, the storage unit is going to be home to a number of things that can take advantage of the power there. For instance, my jump-start battery has a 120v charger so will be plugged into the inverter and will always be "hot". The GMRS handhelds can be charged via the 12v power port. My really nice flashlight charges via USB, as do the LED worklights I got for $8/ea. And, by the way, those things are indispensable, so at least one will go on any overlanding trip.

Plus, I'll probably take some of my Ridgid 18V tools on any trip, and the charger for them will plug into the inverter. On several trip reports I've read that downed trees have been a pain, so the cordless sawzall will go. And an impact might be handy. And maybe a drill.

So, I see the inverter and the storage unit being extremely handy!

Agreed - very clean and functional install!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87800/Switches_In_Place_-_Save_OX.jpg

Man, I gotta tell ya, I like this! Very nicely done!!!

Thanks, Scott and John. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think it is all coming together, but there's lots more to do. The power and ground to the inverter should be done this week if the grommets come in soon. Then it is time to wire up Mission Control, and that is going to be a challenge.