Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Today I got the other spindle repaired, and thought y'all might like seeing .010" trimmed off of it:

EDIT: I should have said that the repair sleeve was about 1/8" too long, so did need to be trimmed. If I'd not had a lathe with which to do that I probably would have broken the flange off on that parting line and pressed the sleeve on w/o the flange. The instructions say you shouldn't do that, but if you are careful I think it could be done - assuming you use an old bearing to ensure you are pressing the sleeve on squarely.

Guys - I'm hung up on ordering ball joints and tie rods/ends. I know at least Brandon and Shaun said to stay away from Moog, but Rock Auto has them as their best sellers in the Premium category. And all the others they list have plenty of bad posts about them.However, I did find one brand, XRF, that may not have the same bad rep that the others have. Do any of you know about XRF?If those aren't good I'm about to order Moog. What's the worst that can happen?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys - I'm hung up on ordering ball joints and tie rods/ends. I know at least Brandon and Shaun said to stay away from Moog, but Rock Auto has them as their best sellers in the Premium category. And all the others they list have plenty of bad posts about them.

However, I did find one brand, XRF, that may not have the same bad rep that the others have. Do any of you know about XRF?

If those aren't good I'm about to order Moog. What's the worst that can happen?

https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints/balljoints/hd-balljoints-for-most-dana-60-axles-and-dynatrac-pro-60-knuckles.html

Expensive, but tough.

Guys - I'm hung up on ordering ball joints and tie rods/ends....

I'm about to order Moog. What's the worst that can happen?

One wheel goes a direction you are not trying to go with the truck?

Shaun - I'd looked at the Dynatracs, and while they look very good, they are four times the cost of the others. And, since I'm hard put to believe none of the others are good, I'm not ready to spend that much.

Jim - I agree. That's the worst, and it isn't all that bad. Janey asked how hard it is to replace them. And as I thought through it, that's a pain but not expensive. Pull the wheel, remove the shock, support the axle, and pull the ball joints.

Gotta buy tonight so I can get started on the installation. Any last suggestions?

Shaun - I'd looked at the Dynatracs, and while they look very good, they are four times the cost of the others. And, since I'm hard put to believe none of the others are good, I'm not ready to spend that much.

Jim - I agree. That's the worst, and it isn't all that bad. Janey asked how hard it is to replace them. And as I thought through it, that's a pain but not expensive. Pull the wheel, remove the shock, support the axle, and pull the ball joints.

Gotta buy tonight so I can get started on the installation. Any last suggestions?

Just buy the Moogs and pray for the best.

That's exactly what I did on the ball joints. And, I ordered them from Rock Auto for two reasons. First, because their delivery date was several days before Amazon's. Second, because most of the poor ratings for these ball joints were not for the ball joint itself but for Amazon or their partner. In most of those cases the parts were either the wrong thing in the right box or were missing a part, like a seal or a zerk fitting. And in most, if not all of those cases, the boxes had been previously opened.

We shall see.

That's exactly what I did on the ball joints. And, I ordered them from Rock Auto for two reasons. First, because their delivery date was several days before Amazon's. Second, because most of the poor ratings for these ball joints were not for the ball joint itself but for Amazon or their partner. In most of those cases the parts were either the wrong thing in the right box or were missing a part, like a seal or a zerk fitting. And in most, if not all of those cases, the boxes had been previously opened.

We shall see.

Now you know why I generally do not buy vehicle parts from Amazon.

Heretofore I've been lucky with Amazon. But with all I read about other's problems, and the delayed delivery dates, it just wasn't worth the slight cost savings to go with Amazon over Rock Auto.

I guess I've been lucky, though I almost always buy parts 'sold by' Amazon.

If it isn't in stock and Prime I have faster routes.

My ignition switch was waiting for me when I got home the next day. 😊

.... Now if it would only stop raining!

We shall see.

Moog have always been good to me. Mayhaps they, like so many others, used to be better? But still, they work. We warranty the Moog balljoints (because Moog does for us) and we have not had to redo any in the time I have been at this shop (2 yrs).