Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Now I'm confused. :nabble_anim_confused:

You had said you pulled two leaves out of a stock 250HD spring pack.

Which, like said above is the same as a 350, just with a 2" shorter block.

If there were some add-a-leafs or a crazy set of lift springs in there I'd think you'd have known.

But, I guess not.

I have two F250s handy (85 and 86) and am positive that neither have had their springs touched.

Both spring code K and both have 5.

I have two F250s handy (85 and 86) and am positive that neither have had their springs touched.

Both spring code K and both have 5.

I definitely don't think an F250 HD would have had 7 leaves from factory. Bastard packs are very simple, and knowing Big Blue's history, I can almost guarantee that's what you had. I have a bastard pack in my 2003 Ranger, and just looking at the spring packs, you can't even tell which springs were from an Explorer, and which ones were stock to my truck.

So with the removal of the extra leaves, you've basically just put the truck back to stock in the rear with exception to the taller block.

I definitely don't think an F250 HD would have had 7 leaves from factory. Bastard packs are very simple, and knowing Big Blue's history, I can almost guarantee that's what you had. I have a bastard pack in my 2003 Ranger, and just looking at the spring packs, you can't even tell which springs were from an Explorer, and which ones were stock to my truck.

So with the removal of the extra leaves, you've basically just put the truck back to stock in the rear with exception to the taller block.

Jim - There was no add-a-leaf or anything like that. It was a normal-looking spring pack, complete with a label wrapped around it showing it was new. I assumed it was a new stock spring since I have box after box after box of NOS parts that Vernon bought.

But recently Shaun showed his F350 spring and it had 5 leaves so I got to wondering if I had the wrong springs. And now Scott and Shaun have confirmed that I did.

So, as Shaun said, by removing two leaves I've basically put the truck back to stock, although I did have to have the 2" taller block to make up for the SD springs and the RSK up front. And boy, am I glad I did! The thing rides so much better and bumps not only don't rattle your teeth they don't cause the truck to take a different line if you were in the middle of a curve.

Jim - There was no add-a-leaf or anything like that. It was a normal-looking spring pack, complete with a label wrapped around it showing it was new. I assumed it was a new stock spring since I have box after box after box of NOS parts that Vernon bought.

But recently Shaun showed his F350 spring and it had 5 leaves so I got to wondering if I had the wrong springs. And now Scott and Shaun have confirmed that I did.

So, as Shaun said, by removing two leaves I've basically put the truck back to stock, although I did have to have the 2" taller block to make up for the SD springs and the RSK up front. And boy, am I glad I did! The thing rides so much better and bumps not only don't rattle your teeth they don't cause the truck to take a different line if you were in the middle of a curve.

Wow! No wonder it rode rough!

So, you still don't have a K-code spring.

And for that matter have no idea what you're left with.

So, you still don't have a K-code spring.

And for that matter have no idea what you're left with.

Dane - Yes, it is no wonder it rode like a buckboard. And that explains the weird rear-high stance it had before installing the SD springs and RSK. The rear springs didn't flex at all when you put it down on the ground from the lift. The tires touched and the truck stopped. So it went around with the rear in the air, and looked strange.

Now, by removing two leaves and getting it down to what it should have in the way of springs the rear drops 2" when it comes down off the lift. And with the 4" blocks for an F350 instead of the 2" blocks for an F250 it sits level. And rides SOOOO much better.

Jim - You are right, I technically don't have K-code springs. But I like what I have and they are staying. They work, in more ways than one, and both the ride and the attitude are just where I want them.

Dane - Yes, it is no wonder it rode like a buckboard. And that explains the weird rear-high stance it had before installing the SD springs and RSK. The rear springs didn't flex at all when you put it down on the ground from the lift. The tires touched and the truck stopped. So it went around with the rear in the air, and looked strange.

Now, by removing two leaves and getting it down to what it should have in the way of springs the rear drops 2" when it comes down off the lift. And with the 4" blocks for an F350 instead of the 2" blocks for an F250 it sits level. And rides SOOOO much better.

Jim - You are right, I technically don't have K-code springs. But I like what I have and they are staying. They work, in more ways than one, and both the ride and the attitude are just where I want them.

It doesn't really matter what you have, as long as you are happy.

It doesn't really matter what you have, as long as you are happy.

That's exactly the point, Jim, I'm happy.

As for what I have, here's a comparison vs Shaun's. I don't know exactly how the length of springs changes the overall rating for the spring pack, but each of my leaves is a little bit shorter than Shaun's. Not a lot, but some. So my pack is a little bit softer than his.

However, the overall effect is perfect. The ride is dramatically improved, the steering is better, and the truck sits just how I want it to sit.

:nabble_anim_jump:

Shaun BB New BB Old

#5 - - 53 3/4

#4 50 1/2 49 3/4 49 3/4

#3 46 45 1/2 45 1/2

#2 41 1/2 - 41 1/2

#1 - 38 38

That's exactly the point, Jim, I'm happy.As for what I have, here's a comparison vs Shaun's. I don't know exactly how the length of springs changes the overall rating for the spring pack, but each of my leaves is a little bit shorter than Shaun's. Not a lot, but some. So my pack is a little bit softer than his.However, the overall effect is perfect. The ride is dramatically improved, the steering is better, and the truck sits just how I want it to sit.:nabble_anim_jump: Shaun BB New BB Old#5 - - 53 3/4#4 50 1/2 49 3/4 49 3/4#3 46 45 1/2 45 1/2#2 41 1/2 - 41 1/2#1 - 38 38
Got several little things done today. First, I replaced the coupling nut with the copper stud extender on the battery isolator.

Then I adjusted the choke one notch richer - and it is almost at the end of the scale, which worries me 'cause I've never had to adjust a choke that far.

Next up was the EFI air cleaner box. I installed the plug in the hole for the PCV system, and glued it in with Permatex pipe joint compound. And along the way I cleaned up the top a bit more, and discovered a difference with the EEC-IV top. The latter has a stud that is apparently intended to hold the air filter in place while the EEC-V lid doesn't. Apparently they decided it wasn't needed?

EEC-V_and_EEC-IV_Air_Cleaner_Tops.thumb.jpg.d55adb56382d1e3680bcbb0fe233c1ca.jpg

And, with the box out I decided it was time to trim another cold air duct as I wanted the turned entry to still be on there which I'd trimmed off. After quite a bit more measuring I trimmed the other duct and tried it out - perfect! It is a tight fit, but sure won't rattle or fall off. Here's how I trimmed it compared to the previous one:

Cold_Air_Intake_Revised.thumb.jpg.76c81f3b2703a284747e09bc5a41d02a.jpg

That done I lubricated the throttle shafts on the Eddy using the spray Teflon lube. I've been having trouble getting the idle to drop down to the 600 RPM setting where I want it instead of hanging up at 800 RPM. Even the additional return spring hasn't helped so I hit the shafts with lube to see if that would help.

And, while I was there I realized I'd not checked to see that I'm getting full throttle. I'm not. Here's a short video showing how much I'm not getting. And when I looked at the slack at the pedal there looks to be ~3/8". So, I guess I'm going to have to make another bracket? Or modify this one? :nabble_smiley_cry:

Got several little things done today. First, I replaced the coupling nut with the copper stud extender on the battery isolator.

Then I adjusted the choke one notch richer - and it is almost at the end of the scale, which worries me 'cause I've never had to adjust a choke that far.

Next up was the EFI air cleaner box. I installed the plug in the hole for the PCV system, and glued it in with Permatex pipe joint compound. And along the way I cleaned up the top a bit more, and discovered a difference with the EEC-IV top. The latter has a stud that is apparently intended to hold the air filter in place while the EEC-V lid doesn't. Apparently they decided it wasn't needed?

And, with the box out I decided it was time to trim another cold air duct as I wanted the turned entry to still be on there which I'd trimmed off. After quite a bit more measuring I trimmed the other duct and tried it out - perfect! It is a tight fit, but sure won't rattle or fall off. Here's how I trimmed it compared to the previous one:

That done I lubricated the throttle shafts on the Eddy using the spray Teflon lube. I've been having trouble getting the idle to drop down to the 600 RPM setting where I want it instead of hanging up at 800 RPM. Even the additional return spring hasn't helped so I hit the shafts with lube to see if that would help.

And, while I was there I realized I'd not checked to see that I'm getting full throttle. I'm not. Here's a short video showing how much I'm not getting. And when I looked at the slack at the pedal there looks to be ~3/8". So, I guess I'm going to have to make another bracket? Or modify this one? :nabble_smiley_cry:

If you don't have enough stroke you need to move the cable attachment closer to the throttle shaft.X pull changes Y rotation given Z radius.