Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I am pretty sure I used these for my air cleaner but at the time they were a pack of 50 (of which I have 48 left...) If I hadn't already mailed your firewall grommet Gary, I'd throw in a few just to get rid of them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Scott - You've already mailed the firewall grommet? Thanks! But I was thinking we might pick it up if/when we bring the speed control tester back. But, that's iffy.

But thank you a BUNCH! I think this thing is going to come together nicely with a lot of help from my friends! :nabble_anim_jump:

Scott - You've already mailed the firewall grommet? Thanks! But I was thinking we might pick it up if/when we bring the speed control tester back. But, that's iffy.

But thank you a BUNCH! I think this thing is going to come together nicely with a lot of help from my friends! :nabble_anim_jump:

I know you weren't in a rush and were good with waiting. I just had it on the counter and was running to the post office anyway so...

I am sure we will find something else (computer bracket?) that you'll be able to pick up if/when/hopefully. :nabble_smiley_good:

I know you weren't in a rush and were good with waiting. I just had it on the counter and was running to the post office anyway so...

I am sure we will find something else (computer bracket?) that you'll be able to pick up if/when/hopefully. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, there will be other things, for sure. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks again.

Yes, there will be other things, for sure. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks again.

We had a very good day with Big Blue today - 176 miles, all of which was on the front tank and it didn't run out. So, maybe north of 11 MPG and that was at 65 to 70 MPH - basically all of which was on speed control. And, speaking of the speed control, it works well. A little too aggressive for my tastes as it holds the speed right on the set point, but so does Blue's speed control. Still, it is quite acceptable and made today's trip much easier.

We did have two "minor" problems. First, when I started the truck there was a metallic noise as if I'd left a wrench or a battery cable under the hood and it got hit by the fan. It didn't really catch and sorta kicked back, so I popped the hood and checked things over but couldn't find anything. I tried it again and it started perfectly, as it did the rest of the day. I'm guessing that one of the many 8mm bolts I had laying on top of the radiator got missed when I put things away. And while I drove the truck yesterday, maybe it was hiding and came out over night but got in the wrong spot and hit the fan. But I sure can't find it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

The other problem was that I don't have quite enough choke dialed in. I'd left the truck outside for the night as it was leaking gas from the tank and I didn't want the fumes in the shop. Heretofore the truck has always spent the night in the shop, but apparently last night it cold enough that while it started fine initially the choke came off too soon and it died as we were leaving the neighborhood. At that point you wonder "Is it lean or rich?" But it surely had to be rich so I pumped it and it started - reluctantly. Obviously I need to dial in a bit more choke.

But, as said, it was a very good day. We are both quite pleased with the suspension changes, both the change to SD springs with the RSK in front as well as the removal of two leaves in the rear springs, making them the equivalent to the lighter F250/350 springs instead of the HD ones. It is still a truck, meaning that you get tossed about a bit, but it doesn't shake your teeth out. And we said several times today that "This will be great on the trip to Colorado."

And then, when we got home I found three packages waiting for me, as shown below:

• The 85/86 EFI grommet from Scott. Thanks!!!!

• The stud extenders so I can get all of the magnalugs on the battery isolator.

• The 1" body plugs. These say "Caplugs" and "BPF-25MM" and are a perfect fit into the PCV hole in the EFI air box bottom. The "slot" on them appears to be the same size as the wall of the air box, so they seal very nicely, and with that problem solved I'll swap the IV bottom in to replace the V bottom.

Progress! :nabble_smiley_super:

Todays_Haul.thumb.jpg.d1dc16e864ee81b13584934e9b67d525.jpg

We had a very good day with Big Blue today - 176 miles, all of which was on the front tank and it didn't run out. So, maybe north of 11 MPG and that was at 65 to 70 MPH - basically all of which was on speed control. And, speaking of the speed control, it works well. A little too aggressive for my tastes as it holds the speed right on the set point, but so does Blue's speed control. Still, it is quite acceptable and made today's trip much easier.

We did have two "minor" problems. First, when I started the truck there was a metallic noise as if I'd left a wrench or a battery cable under the hood and it got hit by the fan. It didn't really catch and sorta kicked back, so I popped the hood and checked things over but couldn't find anything. I tried it again and it started perfectly, as it did the rest of the day. I'm guessing that one of the many 8mm bolts I had laying on top of the radiator got missed when I put things away. And while I drove the truck yesterday, maybe it was hiding and came out over night but got in the wrong spot and hit the fan. But I sure can't find it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

The other problem was that I don't have quite enough choke dialed in. I'd left the truck outside for the night as it was leaking gas from the tank and I didn't want the fumes in the shop. Heretofore the truck has always spent the night in the shop, but apparently last night it cold enough that while it started fine initially the choke came off too soon and it died as we were leaving the neighborhood. At that point you wonder "Is it lean or rich?" But it surely had to be rich so I pumped it and it started - reluctantly. Obviously I need to dial in a bit more choke.

But, as said, it was a very good day. We are both quite pleased with the suspension changes, both the change to SD springs with the RSK in front as well as the removal of two leaves in the rear springs, making them the equivalent to the lighter F250/350 springs instead of the HD ones. It is still a truck, meaning that you get tossed about a bit, but it doesn't shake your teeth out. And we said several times today that "This will be great on the trip to Colorado."

And then, when we got home I found three packages waiting for me, as shown below:

• The 85/86 EFI grommet from Scott. Thanks!!!!

• The stud extenders so I can get all of the magnalugs on the battery isolator.

• The 1" body plugs. These say "Caplugs" and "BPF-25MM" and are a perfect fit into the PCV hole in the EFI air box bottom. The "slot" on them appears to be the same size as the wall of the air box, so they seal very nicely, and with that problem solved I'll swap the IV bottom in to replace the V bottom.

Progress! :nabble_smiley_super:

Awesome!

That’s great if your thinking it’ll be great on your trip. Success!

But, as said, it was a very good day. We are both quite pleased with the suspension changes, both the change to SD springs with the RSK in front as well as the removal of two leaves in the rear springs, making them the equivalent to the lighter F250/350 springs instead of the HD ones.

The statement regarding the rear springs confuses me, as there are no "light" F350 springs, they would all be as heavy if not heavier than the F250 HD springs. With that being said, my F250 LD springs only have four leaves total, including the overload. The F250HD springs (8600 GVWR) I put in the truck have five leaves including the overload. So if you're running five leaves with overload, you're still running HD springs. What you aren't running any longer is somebody's home-made "bastard" pack.

.... F350 springs, they would all be as heavy if not heavier than the F250 HD springs....

For what it's worth, my understanding, mostly from "Diesel Brad" at FTE, is that, at least in the '90s the F-250HD and F-350 rear suspensions were the exact same except for the taller lift blocks in the F-350 (to compensate for the additional height needed in front to clear the Dana 60).

But, as said, it was a very good day. We are both quite pleased with the suspension changes, both the change to SD springs with the RSK in front as well as the removal of two leaves in the rear springs, making them the equivalent to the lighter F250/350 springs instead of the HD ones.

The statement regarding the rear springs confuses me, as there are no "light" F350 springs, they would all be as heavy if not heavier than the F250 HD springs. With that being said, my F250 LD springs only have four leaves total, including the overload. The F250HD springs (8600 GVWR) I put in the truck have five leaves including the overload. So if you're running five leaves with overload, you're still running HD springs. What you aren't running any longer is somebody's home-made "bastard" pack.

Dane - Thanks!

Shaun - My mistake. What I know is that with spring code K I'm supposed to have E3TZ 5560-T rear springs. And I've assumed that is what was on it. But you are saying that the pack that was on there with 7 leaves + overload isn't that one?

That might explain the horrible ride it had. Boy, did pulling the extra two leaves out make a huge difference!

Does that make sense to you?

Dane - Thanks!

Shaun - My mistake. What I know is that with spring code K I'm supposed to have E3TZ 5560-T rear springs. And I've assumed that is what was on it. But you are saying that the pack that was on there with 7 leaves + overload isn't that one?

That might explain the horrible ride it had. Boy, did pulling the extra two leaves out make a huge difference!

Does that make sense to you?

Now I'm confused. :nabble_anim_confused:

You had said you pulled two leaves out of a stock 250HD spring pack.

Which, like said above is the same as a 350, just with a 2" shorter block.

If there were some add-a-leafs or a crazy set of lift springs in there I'd think you'd have known.

But, I guess not.