Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

The single round posts are what are on the front '95 SuperDuty springs as well as the '85 rear springs.

??? SuperDuty didn't come until '99. Unless you mean F-Superduty, the "F-450" version in the '80s and '90s (but I don't think you do...)

Jim - You are right, with softer springs and taller blocks I'll have more wrap. Hadn't thought of that.

But I don't have air bags. At least not yet. I'm hoping that the softer springs will still keep the truck level, but I have considered air bags if I need them.

Bob - You are right, I have '06 SuperDuty springs. My bad. Thanks for catching that.

Jim - You are right, with softer springs and taller blocks I'll have more wrap. Hadn't thought of that.

But I don't have air bags. At least not yet. I'm hoping that the softer springs will still keep the truck level, but I have considered air bags if I need them.

Bob - You are right, I have '06 SuperDuty springs. My bad. Thanks for catching that.

Whatever happened to the springs from the front axle donor you bought? Did they go to Brandon?

No, I still have the '95 D60 springs. Do you want them? Be pretty expensive to ship, but they are yours if you pay for the shipping.

Two things to report. First, I got the two leaves out of the passenger's side rear spring and dropped the truck down on all fours. Wow, what a difference! Normally when the rear tires hit the floor the truck stops moving. This time it kept moving for quite a while as the springs flexed. And once on the ground I found that I can actually cause the rear suspension to move by placing my weight on the rear bumper - something it has never done. :nabble_anim_jump:

In fact, the rear dropped 2" from its previous position, and the distance to the ground from the top of the rear wheel arch is now 2" less than the front one. So I'll want to swap out the 2" blocks in favor of the 4" blocks I have. But first I'll need to get the right u-bolts. Does anyone know of a good place from which to get them?

Second, I put sliders in the front springs as well as a piece of the spring liner material I used on Dad's springs. I'm not sure I like the way that I did it as the slider may break when the weight hits it, but then I have several of them. And, I glued the liner in with 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive, which seems to adhere to the liner, which surprised me. And, the liner is held in place by the slider.

Front_Spring_Slider__Isolator.thumb.jpg.8ceeb0cf43c35c033bbe1296b8d20390.jpg

Two things to report. First, I got the two leaves out of the passenger's side rear spring and dropped the truck down on all fours. Wow, what a difference! Normally when the rear tires hit the floor the truck stops moving. This time it kept moving for quite a while as the springs flexed. And once on the ground I found that I can actually cause the rear suspension to move by placing my weight on the rear bumper - something it has never done. :nabble_anim_jump:

In fact, the rear dropped 2" from its previous position, and the distance to the ground from the top of the rear wheel arch is now 2" less than the front one. So I'll want to swap out the 2" blocks in favor of the 4" blocks I have. But first I'll need to get the right u-bolts. Does anyone know of a good place from which to get them?

Second, I put sliders in the front springs as well as a piece of the spring liner material I used on Dad's springs. I'm not sure I like the way that I did it as the slider may break when the weight hits it, but then I have several of them. And, I glued the liner in with 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive, which seems to adhere to the liner, which surprised me. And, the liner is held in place by the slider.

There's always places like uboltsdirect.com but I have always gone to Midland Truck Parts or the NAPA side of Red's Garage and had them bent on the spot.

Any spring shop will do this as well.

Surely there must be one in T-town?

Maybe ask Paul or Brandon, for local advice?

No, I still have the '95 D60 springs. Do you want them? Be pretty expensive to ship, but they are yours if you pay for the shipping.

How come you couldn't use the pads from those on the SD springs? Or did you not want to take the packs apart?

I don't need them, I have the same RSK you do.

How come you couldn't use the pads from those on the SD springs? Or did you not want to take the packs apart?

I don't need them, I have the same RSK you do.

Both of my lifted trucks utilize beefy U-bolts from Ruffstuff. I remember the 4" blocks requiring a longer u-bolt than what they offered on the website, but I gave them a call and was able to get a longer size that works perfect.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/U-BOLTS.html

There's always places like uboltsdirect.com but I have always gone to Midland Truck Parts or the NAPA side of Red's Garage and had them bent on the spot.

Any spring shop will do this as well.

Surely there must be one in T-town?

Maybe ask Paul or Brandon, for local advice?

Shaun - They have the rectangular pads with two studs like the '85 TTB springs do, not the round ones with one stud.

As for Roughstuff, are you saying their u-bolts are bigger? Stronger?

Thanks, Jim. If I like the suspension, and I'm sure I will, I'll measure what I have and order replacements from either Ubolts Direct or Roughstuff. After what I've been through pulling leaves out of the springs that will be easy.

And, speaking of liking the suspension, I was hoping to find out tomorrow afternoon. The t-case seal was to be here tomorrow in the morning mail and I thought I'd get to drive the truck in the afternoon. But now the tracking says Saturday. :nabble_smiley_sad:

So, what I'm now planning to do tomorrow is to figure out where the EFI air box and power distribution box will go. I brought Huck's left front fender in today and will bolt those items to it and transfer measurements to Big Blue's fender. I know the coolant/windshield washer reservoir is going to have to be moved, and I'm not at all sure where to.

Shaun - As for Roughstuff, are you saying their u-bolts are bigger? Stronger?

Gary, I first picked up a set of these U-bolts, but was not impressed with the quality or how they felt.

I decided to order them from Ruff-Stuff since I'm running a set on my white Ranger and really liked them, and the difference in quality was substantial. The u-bolts from RuffStuff are heavier, and feel much more robust than the Zone version.

Also, I found that with the 4" blocks, I needed a 12" length u-bolt as the 10" version wasn't going to be long enough per my measurements.

From the RuffStuff site:

"All of our Ubolts are Grade 8 with rolled threads. Cut threads are much weaker than Rolled. Cut threads actually remove material while rolled retain all the original material. They also come with True Tall Nuts and 3/16" Thick Hardened Washers which retain their shape while under the torque loads required."