Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

With fresh races I tighten the inner nut (while turning) until the wheel won't rotate on it's own, at all.

I back the nut off, torque to spec and back off until it does spin.

I then tighten the outer nut and check it is still not binding.

After a drive I check for heat.

If there's nothing obvious I call it good.

I've never checked for end play with a test indicator.

Thanks, Jim. Was just curious how you do it.

As for what I got done today, I got the driver's side rear spring lightened up. I pulled two leaves out, making the spring pack capacity 66% of what it was, assuming that the thickness is the way to measure it.

But it wasn't as easy as it sounds. However, I think I learned a lot today that will make tomorrow's work on the passenger's side less hard.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the truck sits with the two leaves out. I'm wondering if I'll have to put the taller blocks in to get it level.

And, I now have a source for the sliders so I can fix the banging and clanging in the front. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, Jim. Was just curious how you do it.

As for what I got done today, I got the driver's side rear spring lightened up. I pulled two leaves out, making the spring pack capacity 66% of what it was, assuming that the thickness is the way to measure it.

But it wasn't as easy as it sounds. However, I think I learned a lot today that will make tomorrow's work on the passenger's side less hard.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the truck sits with the two leaves out. I'm wondering if I'll have to put the taller blocks in to get it level.

And, I now have a source for the sliders so I can fix the banging and clanging in the front. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I don't know anything about the longer Superduty front springs.

I do know that plastic spring sliders are cheap and common.

I don't know anything about the longer Superduty front springs.

I do know that plastic spring sliders are cheap and common.

The sliders from the back fit on the front - with a little help. There's not quite enough room to get them in between the leaves, even with a whole lot of prying. But I trimmed the bottom of one just a bit and got it in.

So now I have softer rear springs and quiet front springs - or will have when I get the whole job done, hopefully tomorrow. I'd planned to take leaves out, but didn't have a time picked out to do it. Today/tomorrow seemed to be the right time. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The sliders from the back fit on the front - with a little help. There's not quite enough room to get them in between the leaves, even with a whole lot of prying. But I trimmed the bottom of one just a bit and got it in.

So now I have softer rear springs and quiet front springs - or will have when I get the whole job done, hopefully tomorrow. I'd planned to take leaves out, but didn't have a time picked out to do it. Today/tomorrow seemed to be the right time. :nabble_smiley_wink:

No time like the present?

I have different sliders for front and rear.

The holes in the leaves are different.

But, like I said, I don't know anything about Superduty springs.

Yes, the springs on the TTB's I took off have two holes in them for longer rectangular pads. But the imprint I can see in the SuperDuty springs are from round pads, and there is only one hole on each spring. So I think these take the round ones like on the rear.

Yes, no time like the present. I'm anxious to see what difference the spring change made. I planned to take out the top and bottom leaves, but the brackets that hold the spring pack together are attached to the bottom plate, so instead of taking that one out I took the 2nd one out.

I removed the brackets and drilled new holes for the bolt and spacer that capture the springs. Didn't know how much space to give the springs, so just measured the thickness of the two leaves I took out and drilled the new holes that far down the bracket from the existing holes.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put it on the ground and see if the rear squats some. If so I may have to put the taller blocks in as I like the stance it had - level.

Yes, the springs on the TTB's I took off have two holes in them for longer rectangular pads. But the imprint I can see in the SuperDuty springs are from round pads, and there is only one hole on each spring. So I think these take the round ones like on the rear.

Yes, no time like the present. I'm anxious to see what difference the spring change made. I planned to take out the top and bottom leaves, but the brackets that hold the spring pack together are attached to the bottom plate, so instead of taking that one out I took the 2nd one out.

I removed the brackets and drilled new holes for the bolt and spacer that capture the springs. Didn't know how much space to give the springs, so just measured the thickness of the two leaves I took out and drilled the new holes that far down the bracket from the existing holes.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put it on the ground and see if the rear squats some. If so I may have to put the taller blocks in as I like the stance it had - level.

I tried replacing the pads in my new packs from the 1988 F250 HD, but quickly found that the ones in my older 1986 LD leaf packs were different. I'm not sure if it's an 86 vs 88 thing, or an LD vs HD thing, or what. The pads in the HD packs have two rectangular posts like Jim, while the older pack has pads with a single round posts.

I tried replacing the pads in my new packs from the 1988 F250 HD, but quickly found that the ones in my older 1986 LD leaf packs were different. I'm not sure if it's an 86 vs 88 thing, or an LD vs HD thing, or what. The pads in the HD packs have two rectangular posts like Jim, while the older pack has pads with a single round posts.

The single round posts are what are on the front '95 SuperDuty springs as well as the '85 rear springs.

I haven't messed with the springs on my truck.

They seem to sag as fast as I am sagging, and I don't need to try to hoist shingles or cement up over my chest to get it in the truck.

If you need blocks in the rear be aware of the spring wrap that comes with it.

I thought you had air bags?