Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Two things to report. First, I made a tool with which to remove and install the yoke. Works good, at least for removal.

Started with an 1/8" piece of strap and I drilled it to take the 4 bolts and then put a 1 3/4" hole in the center for the socket. Then I ground the last 1 1/4" of a 15" long piece of 1" x 1" angle down to just slip in the bearing cap opening, and welded it to the strap where the welds wouldn't hit the yoke. The 15" allows it to catch the right side frame for removing the yoke, and it'll go up against the floor of the cab for installation.

Here's a shot of the welds on the front side:

And here's a shot with a yoke sitting on it:

Now, here's a shot of it in use:

Once I got the tool installed I found that the nut on the yoke wasn't torqued down as it should have been.

The speedo gear is supposed to be sandwiched between the yoke and the output bearing's inner race, forcing it to turn. And, if it isn't tight it'll slip. So this was self-inflicted. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, to find that out I needed to pull the yoke and remove the seal, ruining it of course. But then the speedo gear just slides out.

Turns out it is in perfect shape, so I just need to order a new seal and put it back together. Here are a couple of shots of the gear:

It's always rough when it's self-inflicted, but at least you figured it out. Do you think this will fix the speed control issues as well?

It's always rough when it's self-inflicted, but at least you figured it out. Do you think this will fix the speed control issues as well?

Jim - There aren't any splines. The driven gear gets sandwiched between the output bearing's inner race and the front of the yoke by the nut. But the nut was loose so the gear could spin.

Shaun - I don't think it will fix the speed control issue. But at least I'll have tested and proven every single part of the speed control so if it doesn't work right it has to just be "the way it is".

There are two possible exceptions. One is that the module Bill sent may have better logic in it as it is a much later vintage. And, it is possible that David's suggestion of placing some slack in the chain may help - in spite of it being against what the FSM says.

Jim - There aren't any splines. The driven gear gets sandwiched between the output bearing's inner race and the front of the yoke by the nut. But the nut was loose so the gear could spin.

Shaun - I don't think it will fix the speed control issue. But at least I'll have tested and proven every single part of the speed control so if it doesn't work right it has to just be "the way it is".

There are two possible exceptions. One is that the module Bill sent may have better logic in it as it is a much later vintage. And, it is possible that David's suggestion of placing some slack in the chain may help - in spite of it being against what the FSM says.

The yoke is a tapered fit on the output shaft????

The yoke is a tapered fit on the output shaft????

Ahhh! I see what you were saying! The splines on the output shaft for the yoke. :nabble_smiley_blush:

No, the yoke isn't a tapered fit. It has splines and they appear to be fine. But now that you mention it, might not have been if I'd kept on driving. So from that standpoint I'm glad that the speedo gear started slipping so that I caught it.

Ahhh! I see what you were saying! The splines on the output shaft for the yoke. :nabble_smiley_blush:

No, the yoke isn't a tapered fit. It has splines and they appear to be fine. But now that you mention it, might not have been if I'd kept on driving. So from that standpoint I'm glad that the speedo gear started slipping so that I caught it.

That’s the good in it!

That’s the good in it!

Yep, there's always some good, and that certainly is good. :nabble_smiley_good:

Do let us know what this does for your speed control abruptness.

Will do, Jim. But I seriously doubt it will as there have been many times where the speedometer was steady. However, I suppose it is possible the gear was slipping and the speedo masked it?

But I won't get to find out until maybe Friday. I ordered the new seal today and it is supposed to be in on Friday. And since it is coming via USPS, which usually comes by 10 AM, I might get it installed and take the truck for a spin. We shall see.

And, I may take Bill's red Taurus amplifier with me to swap out and see if it does any better. That and trying David's suggestion of adding some slack to the throttle cable is about all that is left to try should securing the gear not work.

Will do, Jim. But I seriously doubt it will as there have been many times where the speedometer was steady. However, I suppose it is possible the gear was slipping and the speedo masked it?

But I won't get to find out until maybe Friday. I ordered the new seal today and it is supposed to be in on Friday. And since it is coming via USPS, which usually comes by 10 AM, I might get it installed and take the truck for a spin. We shall see.

And, I may take Bill's red Taurus amplifier with me to swap out and see if it does any better. That and trying David's suggestion of adding some slack to the throttle cable is about all that is left to try should securing the gear not work.

Yippee! Just got notification that my order of wiring stuff for the inverter has shipped. When it gets here I can finally get started wiring up the inverter and then installing the compressor!

Items Ordered: Price: Status:

1 of : 505103-025 QuickCable 1/2" Nylon Split Loom (25 ft) $20.90 Shipped

1 of : 5663-001B QuickCable 1" x 48" Black Double Wall Heat Shrink Tubing $18.24 Shipped

2 of : 6401-005E QuickCable 2 & 1 GA 5/16" Stud Straight MagnaLug (5 Pack) $23.32 Shipped

Yippee! Just got notification that my order of wiring stuff for the inverter has shipped. When it gets here I can finally get started wiring up the inverter and then installing the compressor!

Items Ordered: Price: Status:

1 of : 505103-025 QuickCable 1/2" Nylon Split Loom (25 ft) $20.90 Shipped

1 of : 5663-001B QuickCable 1" x 48" Black Double Wall Heat Shrink Tubing $18.24 Shipped

2 of : 6401-005E QuickCable 2 & 1 GA 5/16" Stud Straight MagnaLug (5 Pack) $23.32 Shipped

Cooking with gas now :nabble_smiley_cool: