Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

This morning I melded two speedos into one by moving the trip odometer with nice numbers and the nicely-painted needle from Big Blue's speedo onto the #2 speedo I'd tested. And I set the odometer to match the reading on Big Blue's speedo. When I got the truck back together we took it for a drive and the speedometer was wonderful - for a while. Perfectly smooth and quite accurate according to my GPS.

But, the speed control wasn't smooth. Maybe not too bad at first but then it started to oscillate. Then I realized that the speedometer was starting to fluctuate. :nabble_smiley_oh:

All I can figure is that the drive gear is slipping on the output shaft of the transfer case. It initially worked the other day but as the speedo cable warmed up it slipped. Then today with a well-lubed speedo cable it mostly worked but still slipped some as it warmed up.

Does this make any sense? :nabble_smiley_cry:

It makes sense.

You DID see the pictures of the molten yellow drive gear from my transfer case, no?

So, you have a 1345.

How different is it from my 1356 to change? Because I only have to pull the output housing and the C-clip under my gear to get it off.

I'm not sure how yours is retained.

If this is the worst of your teething problems I'd say you are doing quite well.

It makes sense.

You DID see the pictures of the molten yellow drive gear from my transfer case, no?

So, you have a 1345.

How different is it from my 1356 to change? Because I only have to pull the output housing and the C-clip under my gear to get it off.

I'm not sure how yours is retained.

If this is the worst of your teething problems I'd say you are doing quite well.

Cory - I'm not sure "keyed" is the right word. Borg-Warner's instructions (on this site awa the Ford FSM section) say it is splined.

Jim - Yep, I saw it. I've looked at mine through the VSS hole and it ain't melted. As for how to get it out, the implications in the instructions are that you can get it out by pulling the output yoke, but they don't actually say that. What they say is before placing the rear case half on to put the gear on. Then after placing the case half on to put the seal in and the output yoke and its nut, washer, and oil seal. So that will be my first attempt.

Cory - I'm not sure "keyed" is the right word. Borg-Warner's instructions (on this site awa the Ford FSM section) say it is splined.

Jim - Yep, I saw it. I've looked at mine through the VSS hole and it ain't melted. As for how to get it out, the implications in the instructions are that you can get it out by pulling the output yoke, but they don't actually say that. What they say is before placing the rear case half on to put the gear on. Then after placing the case half on to put the seal in and the output yoke and its nut, washer, and oil seal. So that will be my first attempt.

I'll have to peek at the exploded diagram.

Under my truck the tailshaft housing is a separate piece and comes right off exposing the gear.

I'll have to peek at the exploded diagram.

Under my truck the tailshaft housing is a separate piece and comes right off exposing the gear.

The diagram at Rockland Standard makes it seem like it will come out if the seal is removed.

My gear doesn't have any metal sleeve, and I have a slip yoke.

Borg1345.gif.2a2b62135666612dc92060ec100af44e.gif

The diagram at Rockland Standard makes it seem like it will come out if the seal is removed.

My gear doesn't have any metal sleeve, and I have a slip yoke.

Thanks. Removing the seal, and then probably having to replace it, would be far better than splitting the case.

So, what color is Big Blue's drive gear?

I think that is green. Here's the best pic I could get:

IMG_2936.thumb.jpg.0bd598fdd87718a5774bf5b5a6c3430f.jpg

And according to this a green gear would have 6 teeth, which seems about right from what I can see. I guess there's a possibility that it is blue and the ATF has stained it?

drive-gear-identification-chart_orig.thumb.jpg.2310b3de97ad1f142da77d42a9f4893f.jpg

I think that is green. Here's the best pic I could get:

And according to this a green gear would have 6 teeth, which seems about right from what I can see. I guess there's a possibility that it is blue and the ATF has stained it?

Looks green to me.

Are the drive gears pretty universal? Asking as I assumed they'd be different but that chart doesn't look like it specifies the application.

Looks green to me.

Are the drive gears pretty universal? Asking as I assumed they'd be different but that chart doesn't look like it specifies the application.

Drive gears for a 1345 are molded on a metal sleeve, while my 1356 takes just a plastic gear with a keyway on the inside that captures a metal ball in the output shaft.

Judging by the numbers Gary's style was in use for a long time.

C3 is as old as I am.

But I notice there is no yellow gear, like I have, so these must be the sleeve type drive gears.