Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I think the difference in overlap and clearing even an inch closer to the hood make for better visibility.

At least I notice it.

I hope your speedo jerkiness goes away with your belt and suspenders approach.

I like TDL for many sliding things like screens and patio doors but never considered mixing it with graphite.

I'm still using the waxy/greasy kind of cable lube like John pictured.

Yes, the larger clear spot is going to be welcome. And, the larger wipers even look better.

As for the belt and braces approach, I can't see anything wrong with it and a whole lot right. The Teflon went somewhere into the cable as it sure wasn't left in my bowl. And there was a LOT of graphite on the cable. So the combo has to be "slick". The cable sure slid in there nicely, and I was turning it as I put it in to see if there was a tight spot. Turned very easily right down to the point where it engaged the VSS.

I hope to get the speedo change done tomorrow and take the truck for a spin - both to check out the speedo and to see how the speed control works with the new cable and VSS.

Jim - I'd kinda like to have a reasonable understanding of my speed as I go anywhere - not just at high speeds. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, what I did today was to install the lubed speedo cable, which went in very nicely and spun easily until it engaged in the VSS, so I'm sure it isn't kinked. And, it is LUBED!

Also, the 20" Bosch Icon wiper blades came in today. That size is just about right for the Bullnose trucks as there's less than 1" of clearance between the end of the wiper and the upper windshield trim. These blades fit nicely and are a big improvement over the 18" ones that are standard.

Like the new wiper blades, Gary. Agree too that the increased visibility would be great. Wonder why Ford thought to install the smaller blades? I know you've reasoned that one out.....lol! Thoughts on excessive wear to the wiper motor and overloading the electrical circuit?

Like the new wiper blades, Gary. Agree too that the increased visibility would be great. Wonder why Ford thought to install the smaller blades? I know you've reasoned that one out.....lol! Thoughts on excessive wear to the wiper motor and overloading the electrical circuit?

I'm not Gary, but I've had longer wiper blades since I went to J-hook arms and don't notice the wiper motor straining.

I did change it last year because the output bushing was worn out.

I think that's just due to 30+ years of use, more than anything else.

I'm not Gary, but I've had longer wiper blades since I went to J-hook arms and don't notice the wiper motor straining.

I did change it last year because the output bushing was worn out.

I think that's just due to 30+ years of use, more than anything else.

Hadn't really thought about that, John. But Jim's done it and I don't think I'm going to worry about it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I may have to try 20" ones on Darth. I have had best luck with AutoZone's Duralast blades, and I have tried all kinds over the years. I did try Bosch once, not the Icons though, I don't think they were out then.

They aren't cheap, that's for sure. But they have a good feel and I really needed new ones, so I think they will be worth it.

They aren't cheap, that's for sure. But they have a good feel and I really needed new ones, so I think they will be worth it.

This morning I melded two speedos into one by moving the trip odometer with nice numbers and the nicely-painted needle from Big Blue's speedo onto the #2 speedo I'd tested. And I set the odometer to match the reading on Big Blue's speedo. When I got the truck back together we took it for a drive and the speedometer was wonderful - for a while. Perfectly smooth and quite accurate according to my GPS.

But, the speed control wasn't smooth. Maybe not too bad at first but then it started to oscillate. Then I realized that the speedometer was starting to fluctuate. :nabble_smiley_oh:

All I can figure is that the drive gear is slipping on the output shaft of the transfer case. It initially worked the other day but as the speedo cable warmed up it slipped. Then today with a well-lubed speedo cable it mostly worked but still slipped some as it warmed up.

Does this make any sense? :nabble_smiley_cry: