Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

It would be real simple if that pot is used for calibration or as a bias control.

Maybe it just needs a shot of tuner cleaner?

Simple solution, do what Ford did in 1993, went electronic on the trucks, phased it in on cars over the next 2 - 3 years. Servo mounts right where the vacuum one does, cable hooks up the same, major difference, instead of a vacuum dump valve for emergency release (in case the brake lights don't work) there is a hydraulically operated switch on the MC to open the power lead to the clutch that engages the cable pulley, I imagine on a manual transmission there is a switch on the clutch pedal to do the same.

No problem with speed fall off due to lack of vacuum either.

Simple solution, do what Ford did in 1993, went electronic on the trucks, phased it in on cars over the next 2 - 3 years. Servo mounts right where the vacuum one does, cable hooks up the same, major difference, instead of a vacuum dump valve for emergency release (in case the brake lights don't work) there is a hydraulically operated switch on the MC to open the power lead to the clutch that engages the cable pulley, I imagine on a manual transmission there is a switch on the clutch pedal to do the same.

No problem with speed fall off due to lack of vacuum either.

Gary has the 1995 master that came with the Hydroboost from the 450.

This is the same switch Ford engineered with a Kapton diaphragm that breaks down in brake fluid and is responsible for thousands of "cruise control fires"?

Yep the one that was hot at all times, and not fused?

The one that had the first batch of recall harnesses fused on the wrong side (down stream of the switch)?

Close to 300,000,000 vehicles?

Yeah, no.

Screw that harness. Demand Ford gives you the updated master cylinder and the new switch that comes with it.

This is the same switch Ford engineered with a Kapton diaphragm that breaks down in brake fluid and is responsible for thousands of "cruise control fires"?

The one that had the first batch of recall harnesses fused on the wrong side (down stream of the switch)?

Yeah, no.

Screw that harness. Demand Ford gives you the updated master cylinder and the new switch that comes with it.

Yeah, no! Not using that port on the master. May go electronic on the cruise later, but want to get it sorted with as little extra work as possible now, so still want to use the vacuum system.

But if there's a bad connection twixt the servo's potentiometer and the electronics module, as the FSM section suggests, I may be able to fix this fairly easily. However, I'm going to wait on Scott's tester to come in and use my time doing something else. Like maybe the fog light mount?

However, before I connect up the fog lights I'll need to figure out where the driver's side PDB goes and probably install it as I want to use a relay in it for the fog lights.

And, by the way, get this! Was driving along yesterday thinking about the speed control and all of the pulses going on and I thought "I wish I could bring my scope on the road. But wait, it requires AC. OH YES! I'll have AC!"

Yeah, no! Not using that port on the master. May go electronic on the cruise later, but want to get it sorted with as little extra work as possible now, so still want to use the vacuum system.

But if there's a bad connection twixt the servo's potentiometer and the electronics module, as the FSM section suggests, I may be able to fix this fairly easily. However, I'm going to wait on Scott's tester to come in and use my time doing something else. Like maybe the fog light mount?

However, before I connect up the fog lights I'll need to figure out where the driver's side PDB goes and probably install it as I want to use a relay in it for the fog lights.

And, by the way, get this! Was driving along yesterday thinking about the speed control and all of the pulses going on and I thought "I wish I could bring my scope on the road. But wait, it requires AC. OH YES! I'll have AC!"

Yes,.... yes you DO have 120V alternating current. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

But I don't know if the output is clean enough (true sine wave) to play nice with your scope.

You needn't worry about using brake pressure to drop out the speed control.

It's been years, and all the new switch/harnesses are manufactured correctly and of the correct materials these days.

I was just poking fun at Bill about one of Fords "better ideas" :nabble_smiley_wink:

Failure analysis of materials and engineering is one of those things I geek on.

And I watched my neighbour Ben's truck burn down one cold Sunday morning.

Yes,.... yes you DO have 120V alternating current. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

But I don't know if the output is clean enough (true sine wave) to play nice with your scope.

You needn't worry about using brake pressure to drop out the speed control.

It's been years, and all the new switch/harnesses are manufactured correctly and of the correct materials these days.

I was just poking fun at Bill about one of Fords "better ideas" :nabble_smiley_wink:

Failure analysis of materials and engineering is one of those things I geek on.

And I watched my neighbour Ben's truck burn down one cold Sunday morning.

Jim, the switch was installed on the bottom of the MC, mine is on the top, but on it's side as I specifically ordered the "W cruise" MC and on the 1993-1996/7 trucks it sits on top. I also needed that port or similar for my trailer brake controller.

IMGP1006.thumb.jpg.c380907f49f6d61edbc82dc4e344a443.jpg

Jim, the switch was installed on the bottom of the MC, mine is on the top, but on it's side as I specifically ordered the "W cruise" MC and on the 1993-1996/7 trucks it sits on top. I also needed that port or similar for my trailer brake controller.

Bill - Yes, it is on the bottom. Good to know there's a later one w/speed control.

Hydroboost_Booster_Hides.thumb.jpg.6772c98fff6bc59f1d931d7711c00a61.jpg

Yeah, no.

Any more info on the first batch of harnesses? My 2002 Ranger was part of the recall and has the recall harness, but I don't know when the work was done or which harness it has.

Yeah, no.

Any more info on the first batch of harnesses? My 2002 Ranger was part of the recall and has the recall harness, but I don't know when the work was done or which harness it has.

We had some of that discussion back here. But you may be wanting more. Go for it!

Bill - Yes, it is on the bottom. Good to know there's a later one w/speed control.

Doesn't matter where it's located: tip, top or bottom.

What matters is that the diaphragm doesn't rupture to let current pass to ground of the MC body through corrosion and flammable brake fluid.

Nothing about the MC (of any design) contributed.

And the new deactivation switches are fine.

Plus, the blue tagged harness retrofits are properly fused.

Gary has the CYA version that is fused on both sides of the switch.

If yours has only one fuse Shaun, you might go to the dealer and get the upgraded one.

Doesn't matter where it's located: tip, top or bottom.

What matters is that the diaphragm doesn't rupture to let current pass to ground of the MC body through corrosion and flammable brake fluid.

Nothing about the MC (of any design) contributed.

And the new deactivation switches are fine.

Plus, the blue tagged harness retrofits are properly fused.

Gary has the CYA version that is fused on both sides of the switch.

If yours has only one fuse Shaun, you might go to the dealer and get the upgraded one.

Jim - So I could use my master and the harness below as well as a new deactivation switch and go with the electronic speed control that Bill has?

Bill - Are you saying that speed control plugs into my existing harness and uses the existing speed control switches? Does it plug into the steering column's harness the way the existing module does? Maybe I should upgrade?

Speed_Control_Jumper_and_Label.thumb.jpg.42f91896b8bd4fe56c6d1dc0f33e1917.jpg