Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ok, here's the report from a 15 mile drive:

• Alignment: Much better. Still not one where you can go to sleep, but now you can take your eyes off the road to find a control w/o worrying where it might go

• Idle: My guess of 1/4 turn on the idle stop screw was pretty close as it got me ~650 RPM at hot idle.

• Speed Control: It works! :nabble_anim_jump:

So I checked the initial advance, which was at 12 BTDC, and bumped it up to 15. Checked the AFR at idle and it was ~14, which is too lean IMO. Adjusted the idle AFR and found max vacuum and RPM and then gave it just a bit more gas. Wound up at 11:1 on the AFR, 650 RPM, and 18 1/2" of vacuum.

Now for the speed control. As said, it works. BUT, it isn't as smooth as I think it should be. We are back to the original servo and all functions work. However, as you crest a hill it lets off too much and then has to come back in, only to back off a bit too much again.

So I'm thinking of changing out the electronics.....

Live readings can definitely help your tuning.

I wish I had a wideband installed.

The 450's Y-pipe would have given me that but I had to throw it away.

Ok, here's the report from a 15 mile drive:

• Alignment: Much better. Still not one where you can go to sleep, but now you can take your eyes off the road to find a control w/o worrying where it might go

• Idle: My guess of 1/4 turn on the idle stop screw was pretty close as it got me ~650 RPM at hot idle.

• Speed Control: It works! :nabble_anim_jump:

So I checked the initial advance, which was at 12 BTDC, and bumped it up to 15. Checked the AFR at idle and it was ~14, which is too lean IMO. Adjusted the idle AFR and found max vacuum and RPM and then gave it just a bit more gas. Wound up at 11:1 on the AFR, 650 RPM, and 18 1/2" of vacuum.

Now for the speed control. As said, it works. BUT, it isn't as smooth as I think it should be. We are back to the original servo and all functions work. However, as you crest a hill it lets off too much and then has to come back in, only to back off a bit too much again.

So I'm thinking of changing out the electronics.....

Two things, Gary... first of all, I bet you will find the off the line performance to be more crisp with the 3 degree bump in static timing plus the richer [less lean?] idle mixture.

Second, I don't remember how the speed control is connected to the throttle in Big Blue, but on older models with the chain connection, if too loose, the response lagged behind.

Congratulations, you are getting closer to the Blooming Onion!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

Two things, Gary... first of all, I bet you will find the off the line performance to be more crisp with the 3 degree bump in static timing plus the richer [less lean?] idle mixture.

Second, I don't remember how the speed control is connected to the throttle in Big Blue, but on older models with the chain connection, if too loose, the response lagged behind.

Congratulations, you are getting closer to the Blooming Onion!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

Jim - You are right, the live readings are good. But I'm looking forward to the day when I don't need them and the computer is handling that.

David - Yes, the off-idle is certainly more crisp with the timing bump. And so far there's been no kick-back nor run-on. Scotty said to drop the dizzy in at 20 for break-in, so maybe I'm being way too conservative? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

And on the speed control, this one does have the chain connection. And I'm pretty sure it is set correctly as I can quote the instructions: .06 to .125" slack. I have ~.10" slack as best I can measure. There are two holes for the hair pin to go into and using the other one either gives no slack or over the .125, so this one must be it.

But, that's all for naught as the speed control now works pretty nicely. I say "pretty nicely" as it does handle the hills well. But you want to set the speed 5 MPH below where you want to run 'cause it is going up as soon as you hit Set. I just did it in 3rd gear at 30 MPH and it went to 35 almost instantly. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I can live with that, but I may try yet another module later. However we are set for tomorrow. ROAD TRIP! :nabble_anim_jump:

And yes, it sure is good to be peeling this onion. Maybe tomorrow we can stop at a Sonic and have onion rings!

Jim - You are right, the live readings are good. But I'm looking forward to the day when I don't need them and the computer is handling that.

David - Yes, the off-idle is certainly more crisp with the timing bump. And so far there's been no kick-back nor run-on. Scotty said to drop the dizzy in at 20 for break-in, so maybe I'm being way too conservative? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

And on the speed control, this one does have the chain connection. And I'm pretty sure it is set correctly as I can quote the instructions: .06 to .125" slack. I have ~.10" slack as best I can measure. There are two holes for the hair pin to go into and using the other one either gives no slack or over the .125, so this one must be it.

But, that's all for naught as the speed control now works pretty nicely. I say "pretty nicely" as it does handle the hills well. But you want to set the speed 5 MPH below where you want to run 'cause it is going up as soon as you hit Set. I just did it in 3rd gear at 30 MPH and it went to 35 almost instantly. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I can live with that, but I may try yet another module later. However we are set for tomorrow. ROAD TRIP! :nabble_anim_jump:

And yes, it sure is good to be peeling this onion. Maybe tomorrow we can stop at a Sonic and have onion rings!

I saw the Sonic cup in Machspeed's reply earlier today.

And thought how well they must be doing in the age of Covid.

Enjoy your trip tomorrow! :nabble_smiley_good:

Hopefully I will be getting stuff done too!

And you are now @ 15? When you return, bump it up a couple more.

Do remember that this is a 1980's system and not what is available today! :nabble_smiley_wink:

And you are now @ 15? When you return, bump it up a couple more.

Do remember that this is a 1980's system and not what is available today! :nabble_smiley_wink:

I remember my dad's 1979 Chevy Suburban. The cruise control on that only had a "set" button, but it worked like a "coast" button, where you could hold it in and you'd lose speed until you let it out and it would reset.

But it also had an "accel" feature! If you just tapped the "set" button it would pick up about 3 mph. (I don't think this was really a "feature". More that it just had the same error in the "set" speed as you're seeing, Gary)

I remember my dad's 1979 Chevy Suburban. The cruise control on that only had a "set" button, but it worked like a "coast" button, where you could hold it in and you'd lose speed until you let it out and it would reset.

But it also had an "accel" feature! If you just tapped the "set" button it would pick up about 3 mph. (I don't think this was really a "feature". More that it just had the same error in the "set" speed as you're seeing, Gary)

That's interesting Bob!

I've never thought of the differences between 'speed control' and 'cruise control'

That's interesting Bob!

I've never thought of the differences between 'speed control' and 'cruise control'

Did I say anything about "speed control" vs "cruise control"? In my mind the only difference is Ford vs Chevy. Much the same as "SuperCab" vs "Extended Cab".

I was just meaning to relate my experience with a speed/cruise control from about the same era as Gary's (OK, 6 years older) that had a similar quirk to what he's seeing. And that was when that Suburban was new, so it wasn't a matter of worn out components or anything.

That's interesting Bob!

David - I'll bump it up a bit more as I get more comfortable with it. But I've been cautious just wanting to get it broken in w/o causing any problems.

And yes, the speed control is an 80's system. But the one on Dad's truck was smooth as butter on the 3500 mile trip we took to DE and back with the load of furniture, and it was with this same transmission. So I know it can be done.

Bob - I'm sure you know, but these systems have Resume, Set/Accelerate, and Coast. It has taken me some time to re-acquaint myself with the way it works, but now I understand that holding Set/Accelerate is intended to smoothly accelerate and then capture the speed you are going when you let up. But it just keeps going another 5 MPH! However, from what I saw today Coast does work correctly, meaning it relaxes the throttle and then takes the current speed as the new set point when you let up.

Jim - I thought the difference between "cruise control" and "speed control" was a legal one. I was thinking I read somewhere that someone else patented "cruise control" and Ford didn't want to pay the royalties so called it "speed control". But I may have gotten that confused with the delay windshield wipers

When I first looked at the chain for the speed control on my carb I thought it looked “loose”.

But to me it works surprisingly well. Maybe I’m not expecting much for an older “analog” system.