Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

K02's would be my go-to for Big Blue if I had to buy now. Fortunately I don't.

As for Michelins, no thanks. I bought a new set 40 years ago and the belts all separated. Gave me fits trying to find the vibrations that came and went. When I finally found out what the problem was I swore off Michelins. Haven't had a set since and plan on not having one.

And on that note, or is it bad, bad, bad vibrations, I took one step forward and two steps back today. The intent was to fix the speed control, so I replaced the servo with another that I had laying around.

But while doing that I realized that I didn't have a proper throttle return spring on the carb, only the coil spring around the end of the throttle cable itself. Thinking that might be both the cause of the varying idle speed when letting off the throttle and maybe the cause of the oscillations in the speed control, I added one.

Then I took it for a drive. Man, did that spring change things! When warm the idle speed is now ~450 - 500 RPM, and when cold it does NOT want to idle. On top of that, the speed control doesn't work at all.

So tomorrow I'll swap the old servo back on and adjust the idle speed to more like 600 and take it for another drive.

So you're willing to swear off all Michelins, forever, after stating how far tire technology has come?

40 years ago was half a decade before Big Blue even rolled off the line.

I can only say that my opinion of the tires my truck came with was wholly positive (for a street tire on a 4X4 truck)

They gave fine traction in the rain, were quiet at speed and lasted nearly 80,000 miles laden with tools and lumber.

So it's really interesting (to me) that you won't form an opinion about the specific tires you're driving on now, but condemn all products from one of the premier manufacturers because of one specific batch in one specific use case four decades ago.

And here I want to 'plug' :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: the retreads I'm rolling on.

Treadwright Warden 2's in their premium compound. Inexpensive, good traction on road and in muddy jobsite's, the company has been great to deal with.

They tout their employees, facilities and patriotism.

And they have a bunch of patterns to choose from!

I used to swear by the Cooper Radial LT's after after ditching a set of Goodyear Wranglers LONG before they were used up.

I tried the Cooper AT2 when the LT's were discontinued in 235/85-16, but didn't like them at all.

Went to Khumo in the same lug pattern as the old LT's (I think it might have been 53?) but they didn't seem to last.

Now I'm on Treadwright's and have been happy with them so far.

I do note that one or two of them took a good amount of weight to balance out.

If any of you do decide to try Treadwright, mention that you are coming to them from feedback on this forum.

So you're willing to swear off all Michelins, forever, after stating how far tire technology has come?

40 years ago was half a decade before Big Blue even rolled off the line.

I can only say that my opinion of the tires my truck came with was wholly positive (for a street tire on a 4X4 truck)

They gave fine traction in the rain, were quiet at speed and lasted nearly 80,000 miles laden with tools and lumber.

So it's really interesting (to me) that you won't form an opinion about the specific tires you're driving on now, but condemn all products from one of the premier manufacturers because of one specific batch in one specific use case four decades ago.

And here I want to 'plug' :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: the retreads I'm rolling on.

Treadwright Warden 2's in their premium compound. Inexpensive, good traction on road and in muddy jobsite's, the company has been great to deal with.

They tout their employees, facilities and patriotism.

And they have a bunch of patterns to choose from!

I used to swear by the Cooper Radial LT's after after ditching a set of Goodyear Wranglers LONG before they were used up.

I tried the Cooper AT2 when the LT's were discontinued in 235/85-16, but didn't like them at all.

Went to Khumo in the same lug pattern as the old LT's (I think it might have been 53?) but they didn't seem to last.

Now I'm on Treadwright's and have been happy with them so far.

I do note that one or two of them took a good amount of weight to balance out.

If any of you do decide to try Treadwright, mention that you are coming to them from feedback on this forum.

Scott - Thanks! I wish it was AutoCAD, but it is TurboCAD. It is far less expensive, although still costly enough, yet does probably 100 times more than I could ever use. But it sure makes thinking through how to do things far easier than using pencil and paper.

For instance, it was while working on the air compressor wiring that I realized that the plan to power it from always-on power made no sense as that would leave the "on" LED glowing all the time the switch was on but the compressor couldn't run if the inverter wasn't on. So now the compressor switch is powered by the output of the aux power switch. Easy peasy change in the drawing.

Jim - I know my position on Michelin tires isn't reasonable. Just like my position on Holley's isn't. But in both cases I was badly burned by their products and do not plan to go back.

As for not forming an opinion about the Coopers, that's not quite what I meant to say. I have an opinion about the on-road performance, but not off-road as I've not taken them there yet. And perhaps my reluctance to have an opinion until I've been there is due to wising up in my old age? I was a 'ute when I had the Holley and then the Michelin experiences. Perhaps I've learned something? :nabble_anim_confused:

On the Treadwrights, I'm glad they are working for you. But I wouldn't be worried about the amount of weight it took to balance them. I'll bet these Coopers took more and they seem to be doing fine. However, the guys at the tire shop I took Big Blue to for alignment sure got a kick out of how much weight is on them.

K02's would be my go-to for Big Blue if I had to buy now....

.... Jim - I know my position on Michelin tires isn't reasonable. Just like my position on Holley's isn't. But in both cases I was badly burned by their products and do not plan to go back....

BFG is owned by Michelin. Just sayin'...

And on Treadwrights, I've heard quite a few people say what Jim is saying: good product, really good price, really good company to work with. I've also heard of quality issues. Jim mentions one tire needing a lot of weight to balance. Yeah, that's not too hard to deal with, but it does indicate a lower level of quality control (not surprising for retreads). But I've also heard of complete separation, where you can grab the tread and move it up and down like a half inch without the rest of the tire moving.

Even in situations like that people have stressed that the company was great to work with, so I'm thinking Treadwrights are likely a really good value, and if you have problems they'll do everything they can to make it right. But if someone values quality the first time, something that is less likely to cause an issue at an inopportune time, they might prefer going with a more expensive, premium tire (like Michelins :nabble_smiley_evil:)

K02's would be my go-to for Big Blue if I had to buy now....

.... Jim - I know my position on Michelin tires isn't reasonable. Just like my position on Holley's isn't. But in both cases I was badly burned by their products and do not plan to go back....

BFG is owned by Michelin. Just sayin'...

And on Treadwrights, I've heard quite a few people say what Jim is saying: good product, really good price, really good company to work with. I've also heard of quality issues. Jim mentions one tire needing a lot of weight to balance. Yeah, that's not too hard to deal with, but it does indicate a lower level of quality control (not surprising for retreads). But I've also heard of complete separation, where you can grab the tread and move it up and down like a half inch without the rest of the tire moving.

Even in situations like that people have stressed that the company was great to work with, so I'm thinking Treadwrights are likely a really good value, and if you have problems they'll do everything they can to make it right. But if someone values quality the first time, something that is less likely to cause an issue at an inopportune time, they might prefer going with a more expensive, premium tire (like Michelins :nabble_smiley_evil:)

LOL! Yes, there's a lot of behind-the-scenes connections I'm not aware of. And Holley owns a lot of other brands as well.

As for causing an issue at an inopportune time, our Michelins were put on just before a big trip to Colorado to go skiing. They ran out perfectly for the first 100 miles or so and then we started having odd vibrations. Not good, good, good vibrations. So for the next 1200 miles we were treated to different vibes as the belts in all four tires continued to shift and the balance problems got in and out of phase, so we worried that something was going to give at any moment. Luckily it didn't, but the experience wasn't pleasant.

LOL! Yes, there's a lot of behind-the-scenes connections I'm not aware of. And Holley owns a lot of other brands as well.

As for causing an issue at an inopportune time, our Michelins were put on just before a big trip to Colorado to go skiing. They ran out perfectly for the first 100 miles or so and then we started having odd vibrations. Not good, good, good vibrations. So for the next 1200 miles we were treated to different vibes as the belts in all four tires continued to shift and the balance problems got in and out of phase, so we worried that something was going to give at any moment. Luckily it didn't, but the experience wasn't pleasant.

Actually Holley now owns Mr.Gasket! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

And they themselves are owned by a private equity group and held as part of 'Driven Performance Brands'

I understand what you're saying Gary.

*** certain things have happened to me that changed my world view and affect me today, 50 years later ***

Actually Holley now owns Mr.Gasket! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

And they themselves are owned by a private equity group and held as part of 'Driven Performance Brands'

I understand what you're saying Gary.

*** certain things have happened to me that changed my world view and affect me today, 50 years later ***

Jim - At the risk of getting into a discussion about religion, which we've agreed not to do, it seems to me that swearing off religion because of a problem in one branch of it would be like me swearing off of tires because of a problem with Michelins.

I'm really sorry for you and your experience. That is an awful, AWFUL, situation and I can understand why it would sour you. But not all churches are like that, so....

Jim - At the risk of getting into a discussion about religion, which we've agreed not to do, it seems to me that swearing off religion because of a problem in one branch of it would be like me swearing off of tires because of a problem with Michelins.

I'm really sorry for you and your experience. That is an awful, AWFUL, situation and I can understand why it would sour you. But not all churches are like that, so....

Exactly my point.

It's not the people, and in some cases not even the organization.

No, it would be more like swearing off the Christianity, or even just the Catholic church. While you're still left with Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, Seikisim, Jainisim, any number of indigenous forms of animisim, etc..

I'd still have pneumatic tires to choose from.

But this is just what you've done with Michelin.

A bad experience in one instance, forty years ago, with one product in one situation has sworn you off all their products today.

So.....

My point exactly. :nabble_smiley_wink:

No, it would be more like swearing off the Christianity, or even just the Catholic church. While you're still left with Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, Seikisim, Jainisim, any number of indigenous forms of animisim, etc..

I'd still have pneumatic tires to choose from.

But this is just what you've done with Michelin.

A bad experience in one instance, forty years ago, with one product in one situation has sworn you off all their products today.

So.....

My point exactly. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Reasons why I dont spend much time on garys website anymore. Truth is truth. If I cant discuss truth because it might hurt someones feelings, I'll discuss it elsewhere.

Love the site, and I love gary, and I respect his rules. But it doesnt feel like America in here. Feels more like a liberal corp with snowflake policy and safe spaces.

But I love everyone here, and love the site. Just dont agree with some policy.

Gary, you remind me of my mother. During WWII she had a 1939 Chevy that dad adjusted the metering rod on the Carter carburetor so lean it was very temperamental but got her through gas rationing. After the war and my birth, dad was sent with several others to MIT for more in depth studies in their chosen field, electrical engineering. Dad bought a 1941 Buick Special for the family car trading in or selling mom's Chevy. The Buick was not one of their finer efforts, it had the compound carburetor, a pair of Stromberg 2 barrels with the rear one as the primary, no lockout on the front one and if you stood on it cold, it would backfire and set the air cleaner on fire. Mom said every time they had a little extra money, it would develop an expensive problem. Mom hated Buicks to her dying day.