Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I agree with Rob.

If everyone is happy and 1x1 1/2 will fix it, I'd be cutting that back tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, guys. But this piece of angle isn't what I want to use. It is just a piece of sheet metal rolled into roughly a right angle. I don't think it is stiff enough and it has some extra holes.

So I'll be looking around to see what else I have, which might turn out to be a piece of that aluminum channel I made the stay out of. It is plenty stiff, but the radiused corner may be an issue. I'll have to see.

You are running regular old street tires are you not?

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm not sure what a "regular old street tire" is, but there's not much "regular" or "old" on this truck. The tires are Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx LT285/75R16's, and each one is rated for 3750 lbs @ 80 PSI. And they have an aggressive enough tread that I picked rocks out of it today after it had been on the road up to 70 MPH. Plus, the tread makes a lot of noise on the highway. They were on the truck when I got it and they have lots of miles left in them. :nabble_smiley_uh:

As for the switches, they are mounted in a medium-duty radio bezel, not one from one of these trucks.

lol Well what I mean is they are just plain street tires, highway tires they arent offroad tires like my 31x10.50-15 all terrian tires from BFG. Mine are not that noisy, the old Discount Pathfinders I used to have were quiet and these are quiet as well on the highway but everyone swears by this other brand that the name slips me right now but those I have always heard them noisy on the road.

Ah kinda like the speedometer I got which is a NOS replacement for the heavy duty trucks that has the 1,000,000 odometer which I had planned to swap the wheels over to my speedometer I currently have with trip as I use my trip to gauge fuel consumption between fill ups. Thought they were the same with narrower wheels but doing some measuring it appears that it wont be a direct swap.

Shouldnt be a problem if I go with the Dakota Digital cluster even though I hate the idea of having a digital odometer.

Rob - Thanks!

Jacob - It sure would be nice if church could go back to normal. We have about half of the congregation coming in via Zoom or Facebook Live and the rest attending in person, and even there most wear masks and social distance themselves.

As for what I did today, yesterday when I drove on a bumpy road I heard a clunk that should have been there. So today I checked ALL of the fasteners in the front end. None were loose so I checked the wheels, and sure enough found the left front wheel bearing to be slightly loose. I pulled the lock-out and tightened it up and now there's no more clunk. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Then I decided I'd see about mounting the fog lights as Bruce suggested. Happened to have a piece of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle 18" long that came from a garage door installation. Not the stiffest piece, but plenty good enough to test the idea.

LOOK MA, NO HOLES!

Janey likes the look, and it works well save for a couple of minor problems. So I think this is a winner, but I'd like to hear (see) your thoughts.

On the problems, the first is that the winch's clutch handle can't be rotated the whole way. Second, the cover won't slip between the winch and the angle. But as you can see in the pic the angle could be 1/2" narrower and I believe that will fix both problems.

Kinda looks like the license plate mount I had for my auxiliary lights till I finally sourced a push bar.

You are running regular old street tires are you not?

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm not sure what a "regular old street tire" is, but there's not much "regular" or "old" on this truck. The tires are Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx LT285/75R16's, and each one is rated for 3750 lbs @ 80 PSI. And they have an aggressive enough tread that I picked rocks out of it today after it had been on the road up to 70 MPH. Plus, the tread makes a lot of noise on the highway. They were on the truck when I got it and they have lots of miles left in them. :nabble_smiley_uh:

As for the switches, they are mounted in a medium-duty radio bezel, not one from one of these trucks.

lol Well what I mean is they are just plain street tires, highway tires they arent offroad tires like my 31x10.50-15 all terrian tires from BFG. Mine are not that noisy, the old Discount Pathfinders I used to have were quiet and these are quiet as well on the highway but everyone swears by this other brand that the name slips me right now but those I have always heard them noisy on the road.

Ah kinda like the speedometer I got which is a NOS replacement for the heavy duty trucks that has the 1,000,000 odometer which I had planned to swap the wheels over to my speedometer I currently have with trip as I use my trip to gauge fuel consumption between fill ups. Thought they were the same with narrower wheels but doing some measuring it appears that it wont be a direct swap.

Shouldnt be a problem if I go with the Dakota Digital cluster even though I hate the idea of having a digital odometer.

I don't think you know your Cooper tires.

Cooper says this about them:

The Discoverer® S/T MAXX™ is designed for tough terrain, including rocks and gravel, with on-road stability and performance.

Discount Tire says:

When you need all-terrain tires that balance aggressive off-road traction with dependable on-road driving comfort, consider the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx for your light truck or SUV.

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx Features

From one of the biggest names in off-road tire performance comes an all-terrain tire for the ages: the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx. Designed to work as hard as they play, Cooper ST Maxx tires have an aggressive tread design backed up by solid overall construction.

To make sure nothing puts a halt to your off-road journey or your workday, Cooper built the ST Maxx with its proprietary Armor-Tek3 technology, which resists punctures, tears and other damage in tough driving environments.

Cooper's 3-ply Armor-Tek3 technology helps reduce vulnerabilities in the tire's carcass, strengthening the tire and reducing the likelihood of serious damage.

But what does that actually do for you?

In a nutshell, when you outfit your light truck or SUV with Cooper ST Maxx tires, you can take point on some of the roughest trails out there without worrying if your tires will hold you back.

Tire Rack says:

The Discoverer S/T Maxx is Cooper's On-/Off- Road Commercial Traction light truck tire developed for the drivers of pickup trucks, SUVs, full-size crossovers and vans looking for a tough tire that provides the traction needed to navigate the loose terrain of job sites, gravel roads and off-road use.

Doesn't sound like a "regular old street tire" to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I don't think you know your Cooper tires.

Cooper says this about them:

The Discoverer® S/T MAXX™ is designed for tough terrain, including rocks and gravel, with on-road stability and performance.

Discount Tire says:

When you need all-terrain tires that balance aggressive off-road traction with dependable on-road driving comfort, consider the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx for your light truck or SUV.

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx Features

From one of the biggest names in off-road tire performance comes an all-terrain tire for the ages: the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx. Designed to work as hard as they play, Cooper ST Maxx tires have an aggressive tread design backed up by solid overall construction.

To make sure nothing puts a halt to your off-road journey or your workday, Cooper built the ST Maxx with its proprietary Armor-Tek3 technology, which resists punctures, tears and other damage in tough driving environments.

Cooper's 3-ply Armor-Tek3 technology helps reduce vulnerabilities in the tire's carcass, strengthening the tire and reducing the likelihood of serious damage.

But what does that actually do for you?

In a nutshell, when you outfit your light truck or SUV with Cooper ST Maxx tires, you can take point on some of the roughest trails out there without worrying if your tires will hold you back.

Tire Rack says:

The Discoverer S/T Maxx is Cooper's On-/Off- Road Commercial Traction light truck tire developed for the drivers of pickup trucks, SUVs, full-size crossovers and vans looking for a tough tire that provides the traction needed to navigate the loose terrain of job sites, gravel roads and off-road use.

Doesn't sound like a "regular old street tire" to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Guess Cooper finally got into the A/T market. Around here every cooper tire I see is cheap of the cheap street tires. Good to see they are expanding though. I have coopers on my Mercury only ones I could find in my size with a white wall.

I have the KO2`s cause Ive always like BFG tires personally and I had the KO1`s which I liked but they discontinued them for the KO2`s and now I have rub on my suspension when I turn full lock left or right because of the aggressive shoulder that the KO1`s didnt have.

Tire rack says this about mine.

"The All-Terrain T/A KO2 ("KO2" for Key benefit On- and Off-road with 2 identifying it as BFGoodrich's 2nd generation KO tire) is an On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed to meet the needs of jeep, pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers who want confidence and control on- and off- road. The All-Terrain T/A KO2 was designed to deliver go-anywhere traction along with outstanding durability, great wear and year-round traction, even in snow.

All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires feature a racing derived cut-, chip- and tear-resistant tread compound that delivers longer life (up to 2 times the previous generation tire's treadwear on gravel roads). The compound is molded into an aggressive, computer optimized, high-void all-terrain pattern with interlocking tread blocks, innovative siping and multiple loose object ejection features to combine off-road durability and traction with on-road handling and acceptable noise.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2Upper shoulder Sidewall Armor features a tougher sidewall rubber compound that's twice as thick as its predecessor and a Serrated Shoulder Design that delivers additional traction by providing the clawing action necessary to develop traction and steering control in deep dirt, sand or on rock during "aired down" off-road driving.

The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon on top of BFGoodrich's TriGard, 3-ply polyester cord sidewall ply construction (2 plies for Load Range C tires) for strength and durability.

Single strand beads (a single strand of bead wire is continuously wrapped multiple times until the desired strength is provided) enhance the tire's fit to the wheel to improve uniformity and ride quality."

Why I will stick with these tires cause since I gone with these I never had to dig rocks out of my tread they throw the rocks out on their own while driving. So I pitty anyone that follows too close behind me on the highway lol

Bruce - Are you suggesting something like this, although the stems would be behind the vertical piece? Hadn't thought of that, but it would keep the top of the bumper clear.

I just tried it on Janey and she likes that position better than stacked out by the headlights.

I'll have to look tomorrow to see how much room there is, but we might have a winner!

Yes Sir just like that, you have a few holes there already to put the mount on with.

Yes Sir just like that, you have a few holes there already to put the mount on with.

With the two holes on each side you could always have two individual brackets that utilize both holes on each side. Making them where you could get the clutch lever to rotate all the way around. The light position wouldn't work for me as I have the Warn M8274 (I think that is the number) It has been a good winch, bought it in 1979.

With the two holes on each side you could always have two individual brackets that utilize both holes on each side. Making them where you could get the clutch lever to rotate all the way around. The light position wouldn't work for me as I have the Warn M8274 (I think that is the number) It has been a good winch, bought it in 1979.

The lights look really good there. Unobstructed and full bumper step availability.

Nice job Bruce!