Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I'm not.

Nothing's special? :nabble_smiley_oh:

Got the rebuilt Saginaw pump on today. Quite a battle given the lack of clearance there to use the pulley puller and then put it back on. But save for the brace, it is bolted in.

However, the return on this pump points down, as shown below, where the one I took off pointed up. So I'm going to have to do some rerouting with the return lines. Maybe I can make it better as I didn't really like what I had before. We shall see.

New_Saginaw_Power_Steering_Pump_Is_Installed.thumb.jpg.9a028b8dae0b1b948ba3c8e11a958b9b.jpg

Got the rebuilt Saginaw pump on today. Quite a battle given the lack of clearance there to use the pulley puller and then put it back on. But save for the brace, it is bolted in.

However, the return on this pump points down, as shown below, where the one I took off pointed up. So I'm going to have to do some rerouting with the return lines. Maybe I can make it better as I didn't really like what I had before. We shall see.

Looks good. If I end up going hydraboost I am looking at a 87-88 F-Superduty and pick up a can for the same era powersteering pump which should fit the pump on my '82 allowing for simple factory hook ups and all I would have to do is just pick up powersteering hoses for a 87-88 F-Superduty.

"Battle" is not the first word that comes to my mind when contemplating that job, but you've done well!

I'd thought you said having the return nipple in that position would make for better routing of the hoses, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 💡

It really amazes me how much time and energy you've got into someone else's half finished project.

But there are always iterative improvements too be made as technology progresses.

"Battle" is not the first word that comes to my mind when contemplating that job, but you've done well!

I'd thought you said having the return nipple in that position would make for better routing of the hoses, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 💡

It really amazes me how much time and energy you've got into someone else's half finished project.

But there are always iterative improvements too be made as technology progresses.

Part of the "battle" was due to the length of the Saginaw pump's shaft. Given that you have to run the puller a long ways, with significant resistance the whole way. And there's no room between the end of the puller's center bolt and the shroud to get a socket and a ratchet on the bolt, so you have to use an end wrench, which is constantly coming off. On top of that, the driving piece is large enough that I don't have a ratcheting end wrench that size, and I had to use an open-end, which was also frequently coming off.

And the installation of the pulley is the reverse of the above, although the driving piece on that is small enough that I do have a ratcheting wrench that will fit.

Plus Big Blue is so tall that I have to have something to stand on and I use the aluminum "stand" I got from Northern Tool for that. But as I bend over to get down to where the pump is my legs put an outward pressure on the stand, and it sometimes moves, dropping me on the fender.

As I combed my hair after the shower last night I was amazed at the marks on my arms I saw in the mirror. Yep, it was a battle. I won, but there were casualties.

Concerning the routing, there are two aspects to that: The orientation of the tee and the placement thereof. The main flow is the return from the power steering so the orientation should be such that the power steering return has the straight shot. In the pic below you can see how the tee is oriented, with the return from the power steering's cooler on the frame being the hose going down, and the return from the hydroboost being the hose on the right. The the hose going up in the pic did a 180 and came back down to the return fitting on the pump, which pointed mainly up. But that was an obnoxious looking loop that yelled ADD ON!

My hope is that I can go straight down from the pump's fitting and immediately into the tee and then down into the hose to the cooler on the frame. And if the tee is oriented with the side exit pointing to the bottom of the pic, which would be toward the left fender, the return from the hydroboost can come along the fender liner and under the pump to the tee. That would give a much cleaner look to it.

New_Saginaw_Power_Steering_Pump_Is_Installed.thumb.jpg.2603657df753de9db9ce77d05fd9f7e1.jpg

Part of the "battle" was due to the length of the Saginaw pump's shaft. Given that you have to run the puller a long ways, with significant resistance the whole way. And there's no room between the end of the puller's center bolt and the shroud to get a socket and a ratchet on the bolt, so you have to use an end wrench, which is constantly coming off. On top of that, the driving piece is large enough that I don't have a ratcheting end wrench that size, and I had to use an open-end, which was also frequently coming off.

And the installation of the pulley is the reverse of the above, although the driving piece on that is small enough that I do have a ratcheting wrench that will fit.

Plus Big Blue is so tall that I have to have something to stand on and I use the aluminum "stand" I got from Northern Tool for that. But as I bend over to get down to where the pump is my legs put an outward pressure on the stand, and it sometimes moves, dropping me on the fender.

As I combed my hair after the shower last night I was amazed at the marks on my arms I saw in the mirror. Yep, it was a battle. I won, but there were casualties.

Concerning the routing, there are two aspects to that: The orientation of the tee and the placement thereof. The main flow is the return from the power steering so the orientation should be such that the power steering return has the straight shot. In the pic below you can see how the tee is oriented, with the return from the power steering's cooler on the frame being the hose going down, and the return from the hydroboost being the hose on the right. The the hose going up in the pic did a 180 and came back down to the return fitting on the pump, which pointed mainly up. But that was an obnoxious looking loop that yelled ADD ON!

My hope is that I can go straight down from the pump's fitting and immediately into the tee and then down into the hose to the cooler on the frame. And if the tee is oriented with the side exit pointing to the bottom of the pic, which would be toward the left fender, the return from the hydroboost can come along the fender liner and under the pump to the tee. That would give a much cleaner look to it.

Those trestle benches are great for that.

Whatever you do, don't use a five gallon compound pail while leant over the hood latch! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

MAN, that hurts.

This is why there are 'steps' that hook over your tire.

That isn't going anywhere, but is a problem if you have the wheels cocked (say to get at the bottom of the steering shaft)

Those trestle benches are great for that.

Whatever you do, don't use a five gallon compound pail while leant over the hood latch! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

MAN, that hurts.

This is why there are 'steps' that hook over your tire.

That isn't going anywhere, but is a problem if you have the wheels cocked (say to get at the bottom of the steering shaft)

Yup, the 5 gallon bucket is a NO NO! DAMHIK.

While I was doing all of the underhood work I ratchet-strapped the step to the tire. Worked great. But yesterday I didn't think I needed to do that. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I just realized why I was so tired yesterday! I was up and down on that step a hundred times, getting the right tool, picking up the right tool after I dropped it, putting the tool up, etc. THAT must have been why we hit the hay a bit early last night. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Jobs like this on a tall truck are more work than on a shorter truck.