Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Looks good to me! Personally I prefer the black plastic housings to chrome. But I think either is more of a period-correct fit.

If I were to nitpick the location I might move them out just a bit. I'd try for as far out as possible without getting in the way of the turn signals. But you can't go much further anyway.

Thanks, Bob. But the position is a guestimate, so it may well move a bit farther out. We'll see when the time comes.

As for the housing, do the Hellas come with a black housing? Or are you suggesting another brand?

I'm not wedded to the Hellas, but think I want to go with something like them. But I would like to see some data on them and haven't been able to find it.

Jim - Sorry to see that about your uncle. So, so sad. And yes, it is and will be an odd and sad holiday season.

As for our road trip, we certainly are distancing. For instance, last week we drove 135 miles and yet had absolutely no interaction with others. We took our lunch and ate in the truck. Didn't even stop to get gas.

However, tomorrow we will have to get gas, but I use hand sanitizer after doing so, and pay at the pump. And, we may go into a McDonalds to use the restroom and get a burger. We will be wearing masks and, again, will use hand sanitizer. But we just feel like we need to get out of the house.

As for the relay, it has two more sets of contacts. I intentionally made the wiring long enough to reach them. Plus, I got two relays for that price. And by the way, when that relay comes in it CLICKS! More like a contactor. I think it is a winner. Thanks again. :nabble_smiley_good:

Scott - I think I'll be drilling one hole to match the one on the driver's side that has a cap over it currently. But I could easily plug it just like the other one is if I decide to go another way.

I do think that relay will have no problems, and you have a spare. :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Dying alone is a horrifying thought for most, but once you're gone.

I really need to make time to be supportive of my cousins.

Our parents didn't get along so I've never been too close to them.

Enough morbidity.

I hope the two of you have a nice jaunt and good weather! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Give my best to Janey.

Thanks, Bob. But the position is a guestimate, so it may well move a bit farther out. We'll see when the time comes.

As for the housing, do the Hellas come with a black housing? Or are you suggesting another brand?

I'm not wedded to the Hellas, but think I want to go with something like them. But I would like to see some data on them and haven't been able to find it.

The 450's have a black ABS housing.

What data do you want that isn't on Hella's site?

(Ooops, sorry, you want 005860601 )

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/hella-4501/hella-450-fog/

To add: I have 005 860 201, " " 601, " " 331 in their 'compare' but can't find anything on output, beam spread or cutoff.

All three are 450 series white lens 'fog' lights w/ H3 bulbs....?

.... As for the housing, do the Hellas come with a black housing? Or are you suggesting another brand?

I'm not recommending any particular brand, just saying that while I like the amount of chrome the factory used in the '80s and '90s, I don't particularly want to add any more.

As I said, I went with the Deltas and probably will again. But I'm not giving them a strong endorsement. They're just one of very few rectangular non-LED fog lights with a black plastic housing that I've found. I'm sure there are better quality lights from the bigger names. But these have been good enough for me (if I remember to put anti-seize on the screws...)

The 450's have a black ABS housing.

What data do you want that isn't on Hella's site?

(Ooops, sorry, you want 005860601 )

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/hella-4501/hella-450-fog/

To add: I have 005 860 201, " " 601, " " 331 in their 'compare' but can't find anything on output, beam spread or cutoff.

All three are 450 series white lens 'fog' lights w/ H3 bulbs....?

LOL! Yes Jim, those look to be the ones. And a search for them says Jegs has them for $59.50 when everyone else wants up to $125 for them. But looking at the Jegs site I discovered this statement: "Ships directly from the manufacturer on 02/19/21". :nabble_smiley_oh:

Bob - I've had good luck with Hellas in the past. Used to put them on my motorcycles routinely. But I will look at others. (I say that and Janey just authorized ordering them from Jegs. However, I'm not ready and I already have my Christmas present.)

LOL! Yes Jim, those look to be the ones. And a search for them says Jegs has them for $59.50 when everyone else wants up to $125 for them. But looking at the Jegs site I discovered this statement: "Ships directly from the manufacturer on 02/19/21". :nabble_smiley_oh:

Bob - I've had good luck with Hellas in the past. Used to put them on my motorcycles routinely. But I will look at others. (I say that and Janey just authorized ordering them from Jegs. However, I'm not ready and I already have my Christmas present.)

The manufacturer in China, or Hella's U.S. warehouses? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I still wish I could figure out the details.

They don't offer a linked brochure or anything but the 'details' page.... which is more N/A, N/A, N/A than anything else.

The manufacturer in China, or Hella's U.S. warehouses? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I still wish I could figure out the details.

They don't offer a linked brochure or anything but the 'details' page.... which is more N/A, N/A, N/A than anything else.

Gary, I'm late to reply, but my lights are from the Traveller line at Tractor Supply. They were on clearance for $20 off a couple of years ago so I couldn't pass them up.

They are an older version of these:

Traveller Light

Gary, I'm late to reply, but my lights are from the Traveller line at Tractor Supply. They were on clearance for $20 off a couple of years ago so I couldn't pass them up.

They are an older version of these:

Traveller Light

Shaun - Thanks, but at this point I've pretty well decided to go with halogen lights for the look. And I like the Hellas, although I'm exploring other options.

Jim - It is hard to believe that there is such a discrepancy in price and availability! Here's what I'm finding for Hella 450 Halogen Fog Light Kit - 005860601:

• Jegs: $59.50 but it'll ship on on 02/19/21

• 4WP: $61.48 but "out of stock"

• Amazon: $69.49 In stock and free delivery in 48 hours

• Desert Rat: $183.97 Boy, you talk about aptly named! Maybe Highway Robber would be closer? But, they qualify for free shipping!

And I did find the Hella 2020/2021 catalog, which has this little bit of info in it. Not much compared to what I've seen for other brands.

Hella_Catalog.thumb.jpg.cdd72d31b2399ec280e1f5796dda9bae.jpg

Shaun - Thanks, but at this point I've pretty well decided to go with halogen lights for the look. And I like the Hellas, although I'm exploring other options.

Jim - It is hard to believe that there is such a discrepancy in price and availability! Here's what I'm finding for Hella 450 Halogen Fog Light Kit - 005860601:

• Jegs: $59.50 but it'll ship on on 02/19/21

• 4WP: $61.48 but "out of stock"

• Amazon: $69.49 In stock and free delivery in 48 hours

• Desert Rat: $183.97 Boy, you talk about aptly named! Maybe Highway Robber would be closer? But, they qualify for free shipping!

And I did find the Hella 2020/2021 catalog, which has this little bit of info in it. Not much compared to what I've seen for other brands.

Well, that one beam spread diagram is the only thing I didn't see.

But it does show that they have a little less than 90* beam spread and no sharply defined pattern in plan view. Which is to be expected given the way the lens is faceted vertically.

Still nothing about how much light they throw (lumens)

But we do know that it is only about 1/8 what you would have from LED of equal wattage.

I might try to see what the ECE compliance numbers have to say about it.

Well, that one beam spread diagram is the only thing I didn't see.

But it does show that they have a little less than 90* beam spread and no sharply defined pattern in plan view. Which is to be expected given the way the lens is faceted vertically.

Still nothing about how much light they throw (lumens)

But we do know that it is only about 1/8 what you would have from LED of equal wattage.

I might try to see what the ECE compliance numbers have to say about it.

I hadn't thought about the compliance #'s. Good idea. :nabble_smiley_good:

You asked earlier what other info I'm looking for. Basically I'd like to see these kind of parameters that let you easily compare one brand's product to another:

RIGID KC KC

SPECIFICATION GRAVITY RALLY DAYLIGHTER

Raw Lumens: 866 1,350 2,452

Lux @ 10 Meters: 150 392 1,962 (Spread pattern)

Candela: 15,000 39,240 196,200 (Spread pattern)

Beam Distance (Meters): 245 396 886 (Spread pattern)

Someone, probably the lighting industry, decided to use the lux at 10 meters to be a standard measurement, and they must have come up with a lux rating to test for on the "beam distance". So there are defined standards but Hella doesn't seem to be bothered with them.

I like the Hellas, but will also look at others. Maybe they report to the standards?