Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

David - I think that would work if I want to put two lights above the bumper. And I might want to do that, so thanks. :nabble_smiley_good:

However, that link alerted me to Sylvania's offroad LED lights, and several following links I found this one: SYLVANIA - Ultra 20 Inch LED Light Bar

And it has these drawings which show the size as well as the reach. Note that the height would be an easy fit above the fairlead and the 2.43" would fit back against the bumper pretty nicely.

Sylvania_20_in_Light_Bar_Drawings.thumb.jpg.2d49d5a2d36f9e604d216be9a5262e91.jpg

And, with a bit of playing, here's sorta what it would look like on Big Blue. Thoughts, y'all?

Warn_Winch_Bumper_With_Sylvanial_Light_Bar.thumb.jpg.6558f065147614b9aebff75059d17316.jpg

David - I think that would work if I want to put two lights above the bumper. And I might want to do that, so thanks. :nabble_smiley_good:

However, that link alerted me to Sylvania's offroad LED lights, and several following links I found this one: SYLVANIA - Ultra 20 Inch LED Light Bar

And it has these drawings which show the size as well as the reach. Note that the height would be an easy fit above the fairlead and the 2.43" would fit back against the bumper pretty nicely.

And, with a bit of playing, here's sorta what it would look like on Big Blue. Thoughts, y'all?

Clean, modern and looks like it belongs there!

Looks like that would work well. Fits BB's look and if you ever needed to change it, you could easily. That one doesn't allow vertical rotation, does it? That would be my only want although you may never need it.

Clean and modern and looks like it belongs on a clean and modern truck!

I'm kidding a bit, but it's not the look I like on older trucks. But again, that's just my preference.

Looks good, but I just don't like those lights. As Bob said, personal preference.

Those switches in Mission Control, I really like those.

Looks good, but I just don't like those lights. As Bob said, personal preference.

Those switches in Mission Control, I really like those.

Thanks, guys. So right now it is 50/50 from y'all. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Scott: The mounts that come with that light bar won't work as they expect the bar to be mounted on top of something, not in front of it. So I'd have to fab something up, and I'd do that in a way that would allow me to mount it to the holes already in the bumper. And I could incorporate slots for the screws so it could be angled up/down. But, that usually means that it will get out of adjustment, so I'd probably start with just screw holes, meaning no adjustment.

Bob & Dane - I agree that it doesn't seem to be in character for Big Blue. Too modern for an old truck.

Luckily I'm not ready to buy and am just exploring things. But all of the input has been very helpful. For instance, I really don't want to drill nor cut on the bumper. I just don't want to. However, an exception might be to drill holes in the top plate to mount lights.

And, speaking of that, I've been playing around with placing other lights on the bumper and may have just found "it". In fact, Janey just said "I like that!" These are Hella's 450 Fog Lamps, and they are $116. Wouldn't they be a nice compliment to Hella E-Codes? :nabble_smiley_wink:

I told Janey that I really think rectangular is the right "look" for Big Blue given the rectangular headlights and turn signals, but asked if I should plop round ones on there, and she was quick to say "no!"

What'cha think, guys? Is this the right look? (Note that I'm only guessing on the sizing, but these are 161mm wide while the headlights are 200mm.)

Warn_Winch_Bumper_-_Rectangular_Fog_Lights.thumb.jpg.789213a1747bd8ca04c9c3dd3e27cd6e.jpg

Scott: The mounts that come with that light bar won't work as they expect the bar to be mounted on top of something, not in front of it. So I'd have to fab something up, and I'd do that in a way that would allow me to mount it to the holes already in the bumper. And I could incorporate slots for the screws so it could be angled up/down. But, that usually means that it will get out of adjustment, so I'd probably start with just screw holes, meaning no adjustment.

Bob & Dane - I agree that it doesn't seem to be in character for Big Blue. Too modern for an old truck.

Luckily I'm not ready to buy and am just exploring things. But all of the input has been very helpful. For instance, I really don't want to drill nor cut on the bumper. I just don't want to. However, an exception might be to drill holes in the top plate to mount lights.

And, speaking of that, I've been playing around with placing other lights on the bumper and may have just found "it". In fact, Janey just said "I like that!" These are Hella's 450 Fog Lamps, and they are $116. Wouldn't they be a nice compliment to Hella E-Codes? :nabble_smiley_wink:

I told Janey that I really think rectangular is the right "look" for Big Blue given the rectangular headlights and turn signals, but asked if I should plop round ones on there, and she was quick to say "no!"

What'cha think, guys? Is this the right look? (Note that I'm only guessing on the sizing, but these are 161mm wide while the headlights are 200mm.)

I've had similar Hellas and Marchals in the past.

I think they'll look fine. And if your decorator is enamored all the better.

Happy wife, happy life... as they say!

I'm glad that relay is handling the compressor without hesitation. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sometimes eBay overstock is a goldmine.

So, what's with the road trip?

I thought you two were social distancing and limiting travel?

(sadly my uncle passed away Saturday morning in quarantine)

This is already an incredibly odd holiday season.

It's going to be tough on many through the New Year.

You're back to my preferred location so I'll give them a thumbs up :nabble_smiley_happy:

Really, just like the light bar, while not something I'd put on a Bullnose pickup* - as long as it can easily be changed in the future and you aren't stuck with a specific style (like recessed in the front of the bumper), it gets my vote. The shape, color, cover, etc are all up to your taste and intended usage.

*I'd have no problem putting one on the headache rack of the 80 c&c

Looks good to me! Personally I prefer the black plastic housings to chrome. But I think either is more of a period-correct fit.

If I were to nitpick the location I might move them out just a bit. I'd try for as far out as possible without getting in the way of the turn signals. But you can't go much further anyway.

You're back to my preferred location so I'll give them a thumbs up :nabble_smiley_happy:

Really, just like the light bar, while not something I'd put on a Bullnose pickup* - as long as it can easily be changed in the future and you aren't stuck with a specific style (like recessed in the front of the bumper), it gets my vote. The shape, color, cover, etc are all up to your taste and intended usage.

*I'd have no problem putting one on the headache rack of the 80 c&c

Jim - Sorry to see that about your uncle. So, so sad. And yes, it is and will be an odd and sad holiday season.

As for our road trip, we certainly are distancing. For instance, last week we drove 135 miles and yet had absolutely no interaction with others. We took our lunch and ate in the truck. Didn't even stop to get gas.

However, tomorrow we will have to get gas, but I use hand sanitizer after doing so, and pay at the pump. And, we may go into a McDonalds to use the restroom and get a burger. We will be wearing masks and, again, will use hand sanitizer. But we just feel like we need to get out of the house.

As for the relay, it has two more sets of contacts. I intentionally made the wiring long enough to reach them. Plus, I got two relays for that price. And by the way, when that relay comes in it CLICKS! More like a contactor. I think it is a winner. Thanks again. :nabble_smiley_good:

Scott - I think I'll be drilling one hole to match the one on the driver's side that has a cap over it currently. But I could easily plug it just like the other one is if I decide to go another way.