Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

And now for the switches. I spent quite a while on the phone with a very patient Tina at Carlingtech. She helped me understand a lot about the part numbering system, including that only the first four digits of it are on any of the switches, so there is no reason to pull the OX switch out.

As for the legends, while they have hundreds of them I can't buy them since they don't sell to individuals. So I have to buy from a distributor and there's a minimum quantity of 10 if I want something that the distributors don't stock. However, there is a distributor that puts their own legends on the rockers - OTRATTW.net. And that stands for Over The River And Through The Woods.

I called and talked to Jim and told him what I'm doing. He, also, was very patient and helped me understand a bit more about it. But basically what I need to do is to peruse their website and see what they have, then call Jim back and buy the switches themselves awa the appropriate rockers.

Well, I understand the engineering number could only relate to the body the switch is built on.

So, terminals, action, rating and lights packed in the housing.

I'm glad Tina was able to help an individual and not just a customer (distributor)

At least the rockers are a given, unless you have some upper/lower icon window.

Good to hear Jim has many legends available.

Did you understand what I meant by the more diffuse glow of a white lens?

I don't have any time with modern vehicle ergonomics or UI.

I just know it is easier for me to read a needle than a number and easier for my attention to be drawn something bright and glaring than muted.

Well, I understand the engineering number could only relate to the body the switch is built on.

I'm glad Tina was able to help an individual and not just a customer (distributor)

I just know it is easier for me to read a needle than a number and easier for my attention to be drawn something bright and glaring than muted.

I like the inverter power and winch power logos Jim offers. :nabble_smiley_good:

The Bricknose steering wheel looks odd and changes the whole ascetic of the Bullnose interior.

But if it helps you see the added instruments...

Jim - I think I understand "diffuse glow of a white lens". But is that as opposed to a clear lens? Or any of the colored lenses?

On the available legends, I'm thinking of the ones below. However, I'm not saying those are the colors as that's an issue I'm still working on. I will have six switches but OTRATTW only carries five colors, so I'll need to duplicate one color, and will put those two at opposite ends of the row of switches. That will let me identify the switches by color rather than having to read them.

Red seems to me to indicate an abnormal situation, like the backup lights are on. Green means "good", which is why I've picked it for paralleling the batteries. And amber is something to be aware of.

What I'm struggling with is the lighting. There are these options on OTRATTW, and perhaps it'll help me to see them together:

• UPPER INDEPENDENT - Graphic area (upper light or LED) lights up when dash or ignition is turned on, indicator bar (lower light or LED) lights up when the switch is activated.

• LOWER INDEPENDENT - Indicator bar (lower light or LED) lights up when dash or ignition is turned on, graphic area (upper LED) lights up when the switch is activated.

• SINGLE UPPER DEPENDENT- Upper light or LED comes on when the switch is activated. No lower light or LED.

Note that the Battery Parallel switch has the lower indicator, meaning it is a Lower Independent, and the lower indicator will be wired to show the status of the batteries, with "on" meaning they are paralleled. This should be a momentary switch and one push parallels the batteries for one minute, after which is reverts to automatic mode.

Air_Compressor_-_Orange.jpg.4e7182ba751fbe83d43ad83631b800d3.jpg

Battery_Parallel_-_Green.jpg.86d7c9775b9a1561cb3e674d71258396.jpg

Inverter_Power_-_Red.jpg.0d7f7a8a0b8a9b60aac95d6e439436a5.jpg

Backup_Lights_-_Red.jpg.ac120bd7db2e179e8d4362bdbac614ad.jpg

Driving_Lights_-_White.jpg.eb552c030d51e22e8ee194a7a2a2188f.jpg

Jim - I think I understand "diffuse glow of a white lens". But is that as opposed to a clear lens? Or any of the colored lenses?

On the available legends, I'm thinking of the ones below. However, I'm not saying those are the colors as that's an issue I'm still working on. I will have six switches but OTRATTW only carries five colors, so I'll need to duplicate one color, and will put those two at opposite ends of the row of switches. That will let me identify the switches by color rather than having to read them.

Red seems to me to indicate an abnormal situation, like the backup lights are on. Green means "good", which is why I've picked it for paralleling the batteries. And amber is something to be aware of.

What I'm struggling with is the lighting. There are these options on OTRATTW, and perhaps it'll help me to see them together:

• UPPER INDEPENDENT - Graphic area (upper light or LED) lights up when dash or ignition is turned on, indicator bar (lower light or LED) lights up when the switch is activated.

• LOWER INDEPENDENT - Indicator bar (lower light or LED) lights up when dash or ignition is turned on, graphic area (upper LED) lights up when the switch is activated.

• SINGLE UPPER DEPENDENT- Upper light or LED comes on when the switch is activated. No lower light or LED.

Note that the Battery Parallel switch has the lower indicator, meaning it is a Lower Independent, and the lower indicator will be wired to show the status of the batteries, with "on" meaning they are paralleled. This should be a momentary switch and one push parallels the batteries for one minute, after which is reverts to automatic mode.

Yes, as opposed to a clear lens that glares.

I guess I don't care about having different colors for different functions.

LED's come in a multitude of color combinations anyhow.

A milky white or clear lens will let whatever color show through

Yes, as opposed to a clear lens that glares.

I guess I don't care about having different colors for different functions.

LED's come in a multitude of color combinations anyhow.

A milky white or clear lens will let whatever color show through

But you have to find the switch first and then press it before the LED comes on. And if everything is clear then all you can do is read what they say, and I don't want to have to do that.

But you have to find the switch first and then press it before the LED comes on. And if everything is clear then all you can do is read what they say, and I don't want to have to do that.

My preference would be all a single color with that color to match/complement your radio or cluster backlighting.

If I am reading it correctly - the Battery switch shown could be either Upper or Lower independent.

I mention that because I like the Upper or Lower but am not sure which I like best.

The Upper would be better to see the icon at night but on the other hand, I feel like the larger led (upper) would be more noticeable as an indicator that the switch is ON.

I think I am leaning towards the Upper Independent....

So for the Battery switch, the icon would always be lit but the bar would light up due to A) automatic parallel or B) forced/temp parallel

I didn't say I wouldn't want a pilot lamp that comes on with the dash dimmer.

And I do like different colors for different functions.

Just like I have blue for high beams, green for turn signal, red for charge failure or yellow for fog lights.

I think I would want the icon on when the XYZ was engaged or powered and just the button ready indication on with the dash illumination.

Lower independent, opposite of what Scott likes.

But different strokes for different folks.

My preference would be all a single color with that color to match/complement your radio or cluster backlighting.

If I am reading it correctly - the Battery switch shown could be either Upper or Lower independent.

I mention that because I like the Upper or Lower but am not sure which I like best.

The Upper would be better to see the icon at night but on the other hand, I feel like the larger led (upper) would be more noticeable as an indicator that the switch is ON.

I think I am leaning towards the Upper Independent....

So for the Battery switch, the icon would always be lit but the bar would light up due to A) automatic parallel or B) forced/temp parallel

As you know, Gary, I spent part of the afternoon at the jy.

First - the wiring for the switched plug.

The spare I had on hand wasn't in great shape, with about 16" before it had been chewed on.

So I pulled a crossover harness today. One end connector is missing so a good candidate for repurpose.

IMG_20201204_180947.thumb.jpg.34059b15f191392416df54fb71c82cea.jpg

The blue wire splits/slices a couple inches past the connector which I don't think is a bad thing as you could terminate it with another connector and have a future run/acc option.

IMG_20201204_181002.thumb.jpg.95ee02f6a75fcbf25b7294df73e77ade.jpg

Your call on which harness you'd like and if you want just the blue wire on the latter (vs the whole crossover bundle). Looks like it's 14awg fyi.

Second - the horn pad

Glad the later one is working. With your gauges and my cubby switches in the same location, I know exactly what you mean about having to make an effort to see that area. I looked in at least 15 of those year trucks and all but two of them were missing the column, wheel, or pad. The two that still had them did have cruise buttons though. They looked like they could be cleaned up but both of them had some bulging or separation around the edges. Maybe they could be glued back? I didn't look too closely as I kept hoping to find another one. If a better option hasn't come up by the time I go back, I'll take a rag to them and do a closer inspection :nabble_smiley_good:

IMG_20201204_161504.thumb.jpg.b496c1b0fa38590abe646d416d223931.jpg

Look at your backlit charger that you dislike.

I have no problem reading the milky characters.

I know I wouldn't have to think about it anymore than I think about a telephone or calculator keypad after a couple of days use.

Of course if the indicator lamp colors meant something to the way your head is wired all the better.

I guess Im too different to understand

I didn't say I wouldn't want a pilot lamp that comes on with the dash dimmer.

And I do like different colors for different functions.

Just like I have blue for high beams, green for turn signal, red for charge failure or yellow for fog lights.

I think I would want the icon on when the XYZ was engaged or powered and just the button ready indication on with the dash illumination.

Lower independent, opposite of what Scott likes.

But different strokes for different folks.

My lower vs upper preference is conditional. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I like the idea of just the bars lit up when the ignition is on but the problem with that is that it doesn't help identify the buttons at night.

But that is based upon my initial stated preference of a single color.

If going with all/mostly different colors, I would do the Lower Independent as Gary will quickly associate the colors to the function and won't need to read the words or see the icon. Thinking about it - even with a single color, it might not take long to memorize positions...

Lot of personal preferences come into play with something like this.