Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yeah, I understand that "that kinda hurts" bit. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Got a bit done today. But before I get into that, I looked my wiring harnii over today and do not have the pieces needed to add the power windows circuit. Scott, if you are willing to part with your spares please text me with what you want for those pieces.

As for what I did, the first that was to use the chassis punch on Big Blue's ash tray. Turned out nicely, but I've included the take-out piece to show how much offset I gave it in order to center the hole up/down and side/side.

I also noticed a difference between the ash tray I punched out yesterday and Big Blue's. In the pic below BB's is on the top and the other on the bottom. Notice that BB's door is against the face of the charger and the other has a bit of a gap. BB's door doesn't want to close easily as it catches on the charger. I can file that edge of the door down, but will wait to see how the new charger fits before doing that.

With that done I turned to the switch "cage" and the medium-duty truck radio bezel. I laid out the lines, cut w/the Dremel, and filed, and filed, and filed. And all of a sudden it slipped in. :nabble_anim_jump:

Then I popped the OX switch in and installed it in the truck. Mission Control is taking shape!

I'm quite pleased that the bezel is solid when you push the switch. So now I need more switches. :nabble_anim_working:

The "switch cage" looks like it was designed by Ford! :nabble_smiley_good:

Fits right in!

Can't wait to see it all filled out. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Thanks, guys!

Here are the plans from back on this post:

1. OX locker

2. Air compressor

3. Driving lights: Could put driving lights and backup lights on the same switch, with relays that require the headlights to be on for the driving lights and the tranny to be in reverse for the backup lights

4. Backup lights: May want to have really bright backup lights and, if so, should probably provide a way to prevent blinding people

5. Parallel batteries: Would include the light to show when the batteries have been paralleled by the Cole Hersee relay.

6. PTO: If the ECU has the proper input this would put the engine into fast-idle mode for charging the battery during winching.

And right now I'm working through this page to figure out what switches I want to order: :nabble_anim_crazy:

Carling_Switch_Ordering_Scheme.thumb.jpg.72266981da8d95b631b10946ed32a209.jpg

Thanks, guys!

Here are the plans from back on this post:

1. OX locker

2. Air compressor

3. Driving lights: Could put driving lights and backup lights on the same switch, with relays that require the headlights to be on for the driving lights and the tranny to be in reverse for the backup lights

4. Backup lights: May want to have really bright backup lights and, if so, should probably provide a way to prevent blinding people

5. Parallel batteries: Would include the light to show when the batteries have been paralleled by the Cole Hersee relay.

6. PTO: If the ECU has the proper input this would put the engine into fast-idle mode for charging the battery during winching.

And right now I'm working through this page to figure out what switches I want to order: :nabble_anim_crazy:

That panel looks very nice! Very professional!

Thanks, Scott!

Man, finding the switches is a PAIN! Amazon has some. Digikey has some. Mouser has some. But their descriptions vary from each other's and from Carling's. And decoding the part numbers is worse than Ford's. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Are you decoding them or just specifying them?

They're all vertical, use the same terminals and I imagine the same body color.

Are some double throw center off? Momentary?

Are they all illuminated?

I mean really you're just deciding contact rating and emblem aren't you???

You might try Newark. Maybe even McMaster has them...

I know if I need XYZ spark plugs the thread, reach, wrench, seat, resistance and terminal are a given.

90% of it is already decided for me.

I just need to choose a heat.

In your case even more...

Jim - I started trying to specify them from that page. But that got difficult as I didn't understand what the options mean. So I went to Mouser's catalog and they have Carling part numbers as well as explanations, and I then decoded what they said vs what Carling said - and got confused.

Yes, they are all vertical. But the bodies come in several different colors. And there are SPDT, DPDT, momentary, etc. No light, one light, and two lights - in several different colors and combinations. And several different voltages for the lights. And voltage and current ratings for the contacts. :nabble_anim_crazy:

As for legends, I'm still researching that as well. Carling has these, but I don't know how to get them so plan to call Carling tomorrow.

And there are a bunch of people that sell decals, like:

And there are people who appear to sell the "actuators", the rocker if you will, like:

It looks like you can do about anything you want with Carling switches. But what I want are lighted switches with a graphic or lettering on the lens, like the OX switch. I'll post again in a bit with what I think I want the switches to look like... :nabble_anim_working: