Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

He deserves more than a cigar, that's for sure. I certainly appreciate it.

Our WelderScott is probably coming over Saturday to put bushings in his 78's front end, and I'll talk to him about the possibilities. Like using an existing welding or some such bottle. Or even making one from an existing bottle.

Like I said an out of cert scuba tank is easily up to the task (and made of aluminum, with an epoxy coating)

There are a few sizes.

And obviously they are scrap cost.

Maybe their diameter is to much too.

But they are hell for strong, and can easily be tapped for a fitting and hold 125-150 psi.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like I said an out of cert scuba tank is easily up to the task (and made of aluminum, with an epoxy coating)

There are a few sizes.

And obviously they are scrap cost.

Maybe their diameter is to much too.

But they are hell for strong, and can easily be tapped for a fitting and hold 125-150 psi.

We don't have many SCUBA tanks around here as many of our lakes aren't very clear. There are a few people that dive, but not that many. But I might could order one.

However, I'm going to guess that Scott will have a good idea what his/our friend Ben can do. They are pretty close so I think he'll have some thoughts about that.

We don't have many SCUBA tanks around here as many of our lakes aren't very clear. There are a few people that dive, but not that many. But I might could order one.

However, I'm going to guess that Scott will have a good idea what his/our friend Ben can do. They are pretty close so I think he'll have some thoughts about that.

I just thought it would be easier/cheaper to upcycle some scrap than have something bespoke fabricated for you.

I guess I never think about how far from any coast or large clear lake.

(Though I do note your boating trip last year)

Stuff like that is not too hard to find around here.

Why go with multiple compressors?
Because it's cheaper & easier to keep adding them as-needed than to try to find a place for one huge one. The wiring & plumbing are really easy, considering how small each compressor is. They don't need monster wires, or big pipes.
...intake to the compressors from the engine air filter. But did you do that in the end?
Yes, but I used the wrong tubing, and it melted at the compressor end, where the head gets hot.
Do your compressors use oil?
No, they're used Land Rover air suspension compressors (because I can get them free almost forever).
Those would be so handy on a vehicle that is frequently trailered.
I haven't used them yet - when the t-case grenaded on a long trip, the tow-truck driver used the axle anyway.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1117496/thumbnail/170617_nvll.jpg

Our WelderScott is probably coming over Saturday to put bushings in his 78's front end, and I'll talk to him about the possibilities. Like using an existing welding or some such bottle. Or even making one from an existing bottle.

No problem, glad I could help.

Scott would certainly be up on the bottle sizes. They are very tough, too; but I fear the weight of the steel ones may be more than you want (but come on, it's a Heavy-And-A-Half Duty, right?). And, I'm not sure about getting an empty or two: they are probably valuable to the refillers. I've never seen a worn-out one... It might be a big expense. Or, it might be like the beer keg that came with the house I bought, and people can't seem to get rid of them once they have them but don't want to use them anymore. Want to try to fit a beer keg on your truck for air? I think it's stainless...

I just thought it would be easier/cheaper to upcycle some scrap than have something bespoke fabricated for you.

I guess I never think about how far from any coast or large clear lake.

(Though I do note your boating trip last year)

Stuff like that is not too hard to find around here.

Another stupid idea.

I got to thinking about a stainless pressure vessel and remembered when soda syrup came in Corny kegs.

https://www.cornykeg.com/product-category/clearance-items/

Homebrewers use them a lot.

They're 5 gallon, already come with a 130 psi pressure release.

And (as I remembered) about 2' tall --25", actually--

So, what does that make their diameter???

Doesn't have to be new or pretty if it's under a truck.

If they won't rot out full of sugar and phosphoric acid for decades, they won't rot from condensation

$30-40 doesn't seem a lot for how close it is to your described 'ideal'

Another stupid idea.

I got to thinking about a stainless pressure vessel and remembered when soda syrup came in Corny kegs.

https://www.cornykeg.com/product-category/clearance-items/

Homebrewers use them a lot.

They're 5 gallon, already come with a 130 psi pressure release.

And (as I remembered) about 2' tall --25", actually--

So, what does that make their diameter???

Doesn't have to be new or pretty if it's under a truck.

If they won't rot out full of sugar and phosphoric acid for decades, they won't rot from condensation

$30-40 doesn't seem a lot for how close it is to your described 'ideal'

Jim - That isn't a stupid idea. It may be a sweet one. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

My calc's say that 25" in length and 8" in diameter gives 5.4 gallons. So two of them should fit nicely side-by-side 'tween the bed and the frame. And the length would be essentially perfect for fitting under the leading edge of the bed and not hit the spring hanger.

Ding, ding, ding!!! We may have a winner! Plus Steve and I know a guy who used to run a beverage and snack distribution business. And while what I know of their business was in stocking the machines that vend cans, perhaps they also do the ones that mix the soda? Worth checking out. Thanks!

Steve - Big Blue is certainly "heavy duty". In fact, except for the frame being maybe not being quite as big, everything else on the "transformed" BB will be F350-sized. But that doesn't mean I want to needlessly put heavy things on him. So, I'm intrigued by the beer keg.

Given that, the question is which one you have. Here's a table showing some of the sizes. Perhaps you can determine what it is?

Keg_Sizes.thumb.jpg.3e41178e327290180bbddcdb70daeb12.jpg

Jim - That isn't a stupid idea. It may be a sweet one. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

My calc's say that 25" in length and 8" in diameter gives 5.4 gallons. So two of them should fit nicely side-by-side 'tween the bed and the frame. And the length would be essentially perfect for fitting under the leading edge of the bed and not hit the spring hanger.

Ding, ding, ding!!! We may have a winner! Plus Steve and I know a guy who used to run a beverage and snack distribution business. And while what I know of their business was in stocking the machines that vend cans, perhaps they also do the ones that mix the soda? Worth checking out. Thanks!

Steve - Big Blue is certainly "heavy duty". In fact, except for the frame being maybe not being quite as big, everything else on the "transformed" BB will be F350-sized. But that doesn't mean I want to needlessly put heavy things on him. So, I'm intrigued by the beer keg.

Given that, the question is which one you have. Here's a table showing some of the sizes. Perhaps you can determine what it is?

The ones I linked are Corney kegs (Cornelius)

Which puts them at 9". :nabble_smiley_cry:

But I see you have other options.