Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Steve - A CO2 bottle? How big are they? How heavy?....

Powertank is the best known brand offering CO2 tanks specifically for airing up tires. They are are incredibly high pressure (by air system standards) and have high-flow regulators that will air up huge tires fast. There are also different sizes available. I mostly hear about getting them refilled at welding shops. Not sure if dive shops could as well or not.

But that doesn't replace an air tank. It could be used in place of a compressor, but with the downside of not working once the tank is empty. Or it can be a second system, to use as primary (since it's faster) but with an onboard air system for when it runs out.

I've considered getting one, but ultimately just default to using my onboard air (which I have primarily for my "toad" brakes, so something that could run out really didn't seem like the right way to go as an only option).

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve - A CO2 bottle? How big are they? How heavy?....

Powertank is the best known brand offering CO2 tanks specifically for airing up tires. They are are incredibly high pressure (by air system standards) and have high-flow regulators that will air up huge tires fast. There are also different sizes available. I mostly hear about getting them refilled at welding shops. Not sure if dive shops could as well or not.

But that doesn't replace an air tank. It could be used in place of a compressor, but with the downside of not working once the tank is empty. Or it can be a second system, to use as primary (since it's faster) but with an onboard air system for when it runs out.

I've considered getting one, but ultimately just default to using my onboard air (which I have primarily for my "toad" brakes, so something that could run out really didn't seem like the right way to go as an only option).

I'm concerned about the one-shot aspect as well. I think I want to continue down the on-board air system idea and fine tune that.

Having said that, some of you know Scott, aka WelderScott here on the forum. He's been at the show the last two years with his '78 as well as his try-your-hand-at-welding stand, and runs a welding shop in Tulsa. In fact, he's planning to come over when it is time to weld the patch into Big Blue's crossmember.

Anyway, I'll check with him about tanks and filling them with CO2.

And, for grins, here's a pic from his intro thread. That's him in the truck, with Ben on the left and Chuck on the right - all friends from church. Ben's the one that runs the metal fab shop and is going to do the rear bumper/spare tire carrier for Big Blue. So I also need to talk to him about a purpose-built tank, one designed to bolt into these trucks.

in_the_field.jpg.cf9795ec2438135e9eec28ef0eac6a13.jpg

I'm concerned about the one-shot aspect as well. I think I want to continue down the on-board air system idea and fine tune that.

Having said that, some of you know Scott, aka WelderScott here on the forum. He's been at the show the last two years with his '78 as well as his try-your-hand-at-welding stand, and runs a welding shop in Tulsa. In fact, he's planning to come over when it is time to weld the patch into Big Blue's crossmember.

Anyway, I'll check with him about tanks and filling them with CO2.

And, for grins, here's a pic from his intro thread. That's him in the truck, with Ben on the left and Chuck on the right - all friends from church. Ben's the one that runs the metal fab shop and is going to do the rear bumper/spare tire carrier for Big Blue. So I also need to talk to him about a purpose-built tank, one designed to bolt into these trucks.

Air is fine.

Even the paintball guys use it now.

And it's much cheaper than CO2.

Air is fine.

Even the paintball guys use it now.

And it's much cheaper than CO2.

This & the NEXT several show the OBA system on my Bronco:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/951538/thumbnail/16oba.jpg

It's expandable with more 12V compressors (placed anywhere on the truck) if I ever thought I needed more flow. And I intentionally put the lines on the tanks so that water/oil/sedimentation was the first thing to get blown out every time the air is used, so no draining necessary. It can also be filled by a quick-connector from any shop air system, or through a tire chuck.

I wouldn't use a bumper for compressed air because of the condensation inside causing rust, and the stresses on the corners, and the danger when the bumper actually bumps... But you can prevent rust in any common steel tank with primer/sealer - no need for $tainle$$.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1055017/thumbnail/05gray44.jpg

This & the NEXT several show the OBA system on my Bronco:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/951538/thumbnail/16oba.jpg

It's expandable with more 12V compressors (placed anywhere on the truck) if I ever thought I needed more flow. And I intentionally put the lines on the tanks so that water/oil/sedimentation was the first thing to get blown out every time the air is used, so no draining necessary. It can also be filled by a quick-connector from any shop air system, or through a tire chuck.

I wouldn't use a bumper for compressed air because of the condensation inside causing rust, and the stresses on the corners, and the danger when the bumper actually bumps... But you can prevent rust in any common steel tank with primer/sealer - no need for $tainle$$.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1055017/thumbnail/05gray44.jpg

Interesting approach, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

But a few questions or comments:

• Why go with multiple compressors? It looks like that would be more work to install, plumb, wire.

But I'm sure you had a good reason.

• I love the idea of running the air intake to the compressors from the engine air filter. But did you do that in the end?

• Do your compressors use oil? If so, do you have a catch can, oil filter, etc?

And, I like the tie-down hooks. Those would be so handy on a vehicle that is frequently trailered. :nabble_smiley_good:

Interesting approach, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

But a few questions or comments:

• Why go with multiple compressors? It looks like that would be more work to install, plumb, wire.

But I'm sure you had a good reason.

• I love the idea of running the air intake to the compressors from the engine air filter. But did you do that in the end?

• Do your compressors use oil? If so, do you have a catch can, oil filter, etc?

And, I like the tie-down hooks. Those would be so handy on a vehicle that is frequently trailered. :nabble_smiley_good:

Measurements at HFT!

62441 30” L

10 1/2” Depth and Width

McGraw 64294 and Central Pneumatic 68740

23 1/2

14 1/2

Twin tank 62763

15 3/4

6 1/2

Portable tank 65595

HTH!

Measurements at HFT!

62441 30” L

10 1/2” Depth and Width

23 1/2

14 1/2

Twin tank 62763

15 3/4

6 1/2

Portable tank 65595

HTH!

Thanks, Dane!

Here's what I get from that. It doesn't look like a match made in heaven. But I sure appreciate you getting the measurements. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Harbor_Freight_Tanks.jpg.5ed305c23eb4ae9dcdb366e3088f994c.jpg

Measurements at HFT!

62441 30” L

10 1/2” Depth and Width

23 1/2

14 1/2

Twin tank 62763

15 3/4

6 1/2

Portable tank 65595

HTH!

Well, it was worth a shot.

Somebody buy Dane a cigar, would ya?

Well, it was worth a shot.

Somebody buy Dane a cigar, would ya?

He deserves more than a cigar, that's for sure. I certainly appreciate it.

Our WelderScott is probably coming over Saturday to put bushings in his 78's front end, and I'll talk to him about the possibilities. Like using an existing welding or some such bottle. Or even making one from an existing bottle.