Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

You are right on the "battery" issue. But then, that's what they are called.....

As far as the voltage, are there two "lithium" technologies? One that can't be recharged, like the Ultimate Lithiumâ„¢ Batteries, which give 1.5 volts per cell, and one that can be recharged but that gives 3.2 volts/cell? That explains a lot of things!

If my understanding is correct, then I guess I'll be content with NiMH packs for a while, but take alkaline AA's with us as a backup. And then if we start having battery problems I could consider using something like the Ultimate Lithiums.

You're right. I should have qualified that.

There are a lot of different lithium chemistries, and each one has its own potential.

Some are good at remaining charged, some have more charging cycles, some are prone to runaway fire, others have better power to weight... or volume.

But the most popular right now is probably lithium iron phosphate. LiFePo.

Many companies are trying to move away cobalt and into sulphur which has potential for faster charging rates.

"It's complicated"

The radios could have regulated power supply circuits, but that would add size, complexity, heat dissipation, etc.

(Good use for IGBT, over a transformer though)

Ok, I'll confess I didn't understand much of that. But, with some Googling, it appears that:

• IGBT: IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) module is a device used in many types of industrial equipment, such as motor motor and laser controls and welding.

• SMD: I assume this still refers to surface mount devices

• SDR: Software-defined radio is a radio communication system where components that have been traditionally implemented in hardware (e.g. mixers, filters, amplifiers, modulators/demodulators, detectors, etc.) are instead implemented by means of software on a personal computer or embedded system.

Boy, things have really progressed since I was playing with electronics!

Sure has, we don't use too many vacuum tubes anymore. :nabble_smiley_grin:

You're right. I should have qualified that.

There are a lot of different lithium chemistries, and each one has its own potential.

Some are good at remaining charged, some have more charging cycles, some are prone to runaway fire, others have better power to weight... or volume.

But the most popular right now is probably lithium iron phosphate. LiFePo.

Many companies are trying to move away cobalt and into sulphur which has potential for faster charging rates.

"It's complicated"

The radios could have regulated power supply circuits, but that would add size, complexity, heat dissipation, etc.

(Good use for IGBT, over a transformer though)

Bill - Some audiophiles do. But tubes in an offroad vehicle doesn't sound (get it?) very good. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim - Turns out that the Midland NiMH pack is made up of AAA batteries and is only packing 750 mAh. But there are plenty of sources for much stronger NiMH batteries, such as these Energizer NH15BP-8's which are rated at 2300 mAh. IOW, 3x the capacity of the Midland pack. And they are said to "Retain their charge in storage for up to 12 months so reliable, rechargeable power is always on hand".

That then calls into question how to charge them. The desktop stand is fed by a 9v wall wart, so there is either regulation in the charger or the radio. And while the kit came with a cigarette lighter cord to go into the desktop charger, that seems a poor way to do it in a truck. But, the owner's manual for the radio says that you can charge the battery via the speaker/charge port, so that implies the regulation is in the radio. And Amazon sells this cable that plugs into that port and supplies 9v.

So that would seem like a good way to charge the handhelds in the truck. But, I need to make sure that in addition to the inverter I have 12v ports behind the seat. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bill - Some audiophiles do. But tubes in an offroad vehicle doesn't sound (get it?) very good. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim - Turns out that the Midland NiMH pack is made up of AAA batteries and is only packing 750 mAh. But there are plenty of sources for much stronger NiMH batteries, such as these Energizer NH15BP-8's which are rated at 2300 mAh. IOW, 3x the capacity of the Midland pack. And they are said to "Retain their charge in storage for up to 12 months so reliable, rechargeable power is always on hand".

That then calls into question how to charge them. The desktop stand is fed by a 9v wall wart, so there is either regulation in the charger or the radio. And while the kit came with a cigarette lighter cord to go into the desktop charger, that seems a poor way to do it in a truck. But, the owner's manual for the radio says that you can charge the battery via the speaker/charge port, so that implies the regulation is in the radio. And Amazon sells this cable that plugs into that port and supplies 9v.

So that would seem like a good way to charge the handhelds in the truck. But, I need to make sure that in addition to the inverter I have 12v ports behind the seat. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You say AAA and then link AA's.....

... and so, Gary dives into another abyss deeper than the Mariana Trench. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

You say AAA and then link AA's.....

... and so, Gary dives into another abyss deeper than the Mariana Trench. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

The Midland NiMH pack that fits in the battery holder is made up of four AAA batteries in a plastic package. But the battery holder takes four AA batteries. So why not put four 2300 mAh NiMH AA batteries in there?

The Midland NiMH pack that fits in the battery holder is made up of four AAA batteries in a plastic package. But the battery holder takes four AA batteries. So why not put four 2300 mAh NiMH AA batteries in there?

Evidently I misunderstood. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But the pack is a battery, the AA's are just cells.

/pedant

Evidently I misunderstood. :nabble_smiley_blush:But the pack is a battery, the AA's are just cells./pedant
Yes, you are right. The "battery" is made up of four AAA cells, and it has a rating of 750 mAh. So why not put four AA cells with 2300 mAh capacity each in there?

Yes, you are right. The "battery" is made up of four AAA cells, and it has a rating of 750 mAh. So why not put four AA cells with 2300 mAh capacity each in there?

MOAR POWUR!!!!Sure, why not?But I will tell you (from years of experience) that NiMH batteries are useless in cold weather.

MOAR POWUR!!!!

Sure, why not?

But I will tell you (from years of experience) that NiMH batteries are useless in cold weather.

Yup, MOAR POWUR!!!! And why not have it on the handhelds? It looks like my brother is going to use one of mine instead of buying a mobile radio, so we may want to run that one in high power mode as he might be farther away than just spotting. As for the temp problem, that is good to know. I'm not sure we'll be wanting to use them in the cold, but we'll have alkaline AA's available as a backup.

As for what I did to Big Blue today, a lot of little things but nothing really to show - yet. I got both kick panel vents in and the passenger's side kick panel in as well. But I'm going to hold off installing the driver's side kick panel as I need to run wires up topside for the GMRS radio and the speakers that will be in the Highliner and they'll probably be routed that way. And I also got the passenger's side A & B-pillar trim on.

Then I turned to the passenger's door panel. First, I re-installed the speaker using rope caulk as bedding compound. Then I used carpet cleaner to clean the carpet on the map pockets, and they turned out nice so I installed the one on the passenger's door. Next I strung rope caulk all over that door and cut a heavy trash bag up for the vapor barrier. Man, is that tedious work, especially cutting it out around the speaker! Then I hot-melt glued the speaker cloth that I took off of the back of the fancy velour insert for the original door panels on to the new door panel. Last, I glued the felt sound/thermal insulation to the back of the door. Still need to install the glass "scraper" to the door panel and then I can install the panel.

But that'll have to wait until Wednesday as we are running errands tomorrow. Maybe I can get both door panels and the driver's side B-pillar trim on and play with the Highliner, which is due in tomorrow. :nabble_anim_jump:

Yup, MOAR POWUR!!!! And why not have it on the handhelds? It looks like my brother is going to use one of mine instead of buying a mobile radio, so we may want to run that one in high power mode as he might be farther away than just spotting. As for the temp problem, that is good to know. I'm not sure we'll be wanting to use them in the cold, but we'll have alkaline AA's available as a backup.

As for what I did to Big Blue today, a lot of little things but nothing really to show - yet. I got both kick panel vents in and the passenger's side kick panel in as well. But I'm going to hold off installing the driver's side kick panel as I need to run wires up topside for the GMRS radio and the speakers that will be in the Highliner and they'll probably be routed that way. And I also got the passenger's side A & B-pillar trim on.

Then I turned to the passenger's door panel. First, I re-installed the speaker using rope caulk as bedding compound. Then I used carpet cleaner to clean the carpet on the map pockets, and they turned out nice so I installed the one on the passenger's door. Next I strung rope caulk all over that door and cut a heavy trash bag up for the vapor barrier. Man, is that tedious work, especially cutting it out around the speaker! Then I hot-melt glued the speaker cloth that I took off of the back of the fancy velour insert for the original door panels on to the new door panel. Last, I glued the felt sound/thermal insulation to the back of the door. Still need to install the glass "scraper" to the door panel and then I can install the panel.

But that'll have to wait until Wednesday as we are running errands tomorrow. Maybe I can get both door panels and the driver's side B-pillar trim on and play with the Highliner, which is due in tomorrow. :nabble_anim_jump:

Gary you might try this on your dash cover. I used it when I worked on Firetrucks all the time.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/permatex-4569/chemicals---fluids-16461/glues--adhesives---sealants-19861/gasket-makers---sealers-19581/166cc2694828/permatex-clear-rtv-silicone-adhesive-sealant/80050/4610210?q=adhesive+silicone&pos=8