Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I'm not sure why you'd need a license to operate a FMRS?

The only reason I see for a license, is so that you know the rules of the airwaves and don't violate someone else.

If the FCC wants to tax every FMRS, Drone or whatever, then call it what it is.....

Otherwise if I'm a radio amateur I don't see why on earth I should have to jump through their hoops.

These are GMRS units rather than FRS. Highland Wireless says:

GMRS radios share channels 1-7 with the FRS, but have their own specific channels of 15-22.

Unlike their more powerful big brother, GMRS, the FRS system is only allowed 500 milliwatts (half a watt) of power according to the FCC. Because of this, their range is very limited. Most FRS radios will work up to about 1 mile apart. Large trees, buildings or hills will interfere with and reduce the range of communication.

The GMRS system, as mentioned previously, is like the big brother to the FRS. Like the FRS, GMRS uses FM rather than AM waves to send signals, but unlike the FRS, GMRS can use up to 50 watts of power. Typically though, most GMRS radios use between 1 and 5 watts of power. Their range is a bit better than FRS radios, with typical hand-held devices being somewhere in the 1-2 mile window. Some mobile units with higher antennas can have a range up to 5 miles.

My base unit has 15 watts of power and the handhelds have three power settings, although I haven't found the spec's for them. Midland says that the transmission ranges between the base unit and the handhelds are:

• Max: Up to 50 miles if there's no obstructions at all, pure line of sight

• Ideal: 10 - 15 miles with "partial" obstructions, whatever that means

• Obstructed: 5 - 10 miles with "major obstructions to line of sight"

Personally I'm not expecting those kinds of ranges, but it would be nice to have the 10 - 15 mile range if we do the Running Of The Bulls.

These are GMRS units rather than FRS. Highland Wireless says:

GMRS radios share channels 1-7 with the FRS, but have their own specific channels of 15-22.

Unlike their more powerful big brother, GMRS, the FRS system is only allowed 500 milliwatts (half a watt) of power according to the FCC. Because of this, their range is very limited. Most FRS radios will work up to about 1 mile apart. Large trees, buildings or hills will interfere with and reduce the range of communication.

The GMRS system, as mentioned previously, is like the big brother to the FRS. Like the FRS, GMRS uses FM rather than AM waves to send signals, but unlike the FRS, GMRS can use up to 50 watts of power. Typically though, most GMRS radios use between 1 and 5 watts of power. Their range is a bit better than FRS radios, with typical hand-held devices being somewhere in the 1-2 mile window. Some mobile units with higher antennas can have a range up to 5 miles.

My base unit has 15 watts of power and the handhelds have three power settings, although I haven't found the spec's for them. Midland says that the transmission ranges between the base unit and the handhelds are:

• Max: Up to 50 miles if there's no obstructions at all, pure line of sight

• Ideal: 10 - 15 miles with "partial" obstructions, whatever that means

• Obstructed: 5 - 10 miles with "major obstructions to line of sight"

Personally I'm not expecting those kinds of ranges, but it would be nice to have the 10 - 15 mile range if we do the Running Of The Bulls.

Ooops, mixed acronyms there..... :nabble_smiley_blush:

Out in the country you should have much better range than in a city with solid buildings and lots of other radio waves.

The attenuation due to leaves and such doesn't really come into play until you get up into microwave frequency.

Ooops, mixed acronyms there..... :nabble_smiley_blush:

Out in the country you should have much better range than in a city with solid buildings and lots of other radio waves.

The attenuation due to leaves and such doesn't really come into play until you get up into microwave frequency.

I'm still struggling with all the terminology, so had to go look that up. And I've got to learn about group calls, direct calls, selectable call alerts, etc. And that's just on the handhelds! These are fancy systems. But, apparently quite capable. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm still struggling with all the terminology, so had to go look that up. And I've got to learn about group calls, direct calls, selectable call alerts, etc. And that's just on the handhelds! These are fancy systems. But, apparently quite capable. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yup!

It's amazing how compact electronics have become from last century.

And the sheer amount of functions and operational modes available.

IGBT replacing wirewound transformers and microcontrollers rather than even SMD have eliminated a lot of wasted power as well as size.

SDR is huge for a device like these, as well. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Yup!

It's amazing how compact electronics have become from last century.

And the sheer amount of functions and operational modes available.

IGBT replacing wirewound transformers and microcontrollers rather than even SMD have eliminated a lot of wasted power as well as size.

SDR is huge for a device like these, as well. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ok, I'll confess I didn't understand much of that. But, with some Googling, it appears that:

• IGBT: IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) module is a device used in many types of industrial equipment, such as motor motor and laser controls and welding.

• SMD: I assume this still refers to surface mount devices

• SDR: Software-defined radio is a radio communication system where components that have been traditionally implemented in hardware (e.g. mixers, filters, amplifiers, modulators/demodulators, detectors, etc.) are instead implemented by means of software on a personal computer or embedded system.

Boy, things have really progressed since I was playing with electronics!

Ok, I'll confess I didn't understand much of that. But, with some Googling, it appears that:

• IGBT: IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) module is a device used in many types of industrial equipment, such as motor motor and laser controls and welding.

• SMD: I assume this still refers to surface mount devices

• SDR: Software-defined radio is a radio communication system where components that have been traditionally implemented in hardware (e.g. mixers, filters, amplifiers, modulators/demodulators, detectors, etc.) are instead implemented by means of software on a personal computer or embedded system.

Boy, things have really progressed since I was playing with electronics!

By the way, I just found the spec's on the handhelds - 5 watts on High. Sure beats .5 watts on the FRS units. Should make for reliable comm's.

By the way, I just found the spec's on the handhelds - 5 watts on High. Sure beats .5 watts on the FRS units. Should make for reliable comm's.

So, 10X the broadcast signal of an FRS walkie talkie.

I can remember being a kid and walkie talkies were the size of a brick with a fragile telescoping antenna and 4-6 D cells inside. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Back in the days of RS battery club cards....

So, 10X the broadcast signal of an FRS walkie talkie.

I can remember being a kid and walkie talkies were the size of a brick with a fragile telescoping antenna and 4-6 D cells inside. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Back in the days of RS battery club cards....

Yep, I remember those days. Change out crystals to change channels. Battery life was measured in minutes. And, as you said, the size of a brick but with coverage of a block. Now they fit in the palm of your hand and take four AA cells or the included NiMH pack.

Speaking of that, I find it strange there's no lithium pack available for them as there are lithium AA's that can be recharged. I like the idea of having batteries that I can keep "hot", and my experience with NiMH is poor. So I've considered some of the lithium batteries that can be recharged or at least the lithiums that can't be but stay hot forever.

Thoughts?

Yep, I remember those days. Change out crystals to change channels. Battery life was measured in minutes. And, as you said, the size of a brick but with coverage of a block. Now they fit in the palm of your hand and take four AA cells or the included NiMH pack.

Speaking of that, I find it strange there's no lithium pack available for them as there are lithium AA's that can be recharged. I like the idea of having batteries that I can keep "hot", and my experience with NiMH is poor. So I've considered some of the lithium batteries that can be recharged or at least the lithiums that can't be but stay hot forever.

Thoughts?

There are AA sized lithium rechargeable cells (1450, mm diameter x length)

BUT, lithium chemistry is about 3.2V per cell, so you would have over twice the voltage!

NiMH chemistry is about the same 1.5V per cell that you find in your regular carbon manganese alkaline 'battery'

So the manufacturer may put a premium on the ability to get cells that will work at probably half the stores on the planet.

BTW, I make the distinction since a 9V is really the only battery in current production.

Just like a gun emplacement batteries are a collection of cells, not individuals.

A 12V lead/acid automotive battery has six cells of about 2.1V each.

There are AA sized lithium rechargeable cells (1450, mm diameter x length)

BUT, lithium chemistry is about 3.2V per cell, so you would have over twice the voltage!

NiMH chemistry is about the same 1.5V per cell that you find in your regular carbon manganese alkaline 'battery'

So the manufacturer may put a premium on the ability to get cells that will work at probably half the stores on the planet.

BTW, I make the distinction since a 9V is really the only battery in current production.

Just like a gun emplacement batteries are a collection of cells, not individuals.

A 12V lead/acid automotive battery has six cells of about 2.1V each.

You are right on the "battery" issue. But then, that's what they are called.....

As far as the voltage, are there two "lithium" technologies? One that can't be recharged, like the Ultimate Lithiumâ„¢ Batteries, which give 1.5 volts per cell, and one that can be recharged but that gives 3.2 volts/cell? That explains a lot of things!

If my understanding is correct, then I guess I'll be content with NiMH packs for a while, but take alkaline AA's with us as a backup. And then if we start having battery problems I could consider using something like the Ultimate Lithiums.