Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Contact cement and most spray adhesives are neoprene rubber and won't hold long term to a plastic that is off gassing while baking in the sun.

RTV is going to be much better in this application.

Scuff both surfaces to give it some tooth to hang on to.

We used the rtv they supplied. Pay close attention around your defrost vents especially since these are highly visable. We too sanded down the bad cracks on the pad before putting the cover over it. With everything smooth, it slips on very well, i just dont like the fact you can see the old dash through the defrost vents, but it is the best looking cover out there.

We used the rtv they supplied. Pay close attention around your defrost vents especially since these are highly visable. We too sanded down the bad cracks on the pad before putting the cover over it. With everything smooth, it slips on very well, i just dont like the fact you can see the old dash through the defrost vents, but it is the best looking cover out there.

Thanks, Jim. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

George - I agree that it is the best cover I can find. And while it doesn't completely cover the defrost vent area I'll paint both the same color, including the edge of the Coverlay, and it will be difficult to tell there's a cover on there. And, as you've seen, the old pad is in such BAD shape that this will be a huge improvement.

Thanks, Jim. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

George - I agree that it is the best cover I can find. And while it doesn't completely cover the defrost vent area I'll paint both the same color, including the edge of the Coverlay, and it will be difficult to tell there's a cover on there. And, as you've seen, the old pad is in such BAD shape that this will be a huge improvement.

Your pad is in way better condition then ours was, i dont think there was a square inch on it that wasnt cracked.. With the old pad the same color, you really cant tell unless you know what you are looking for. Also is a good trade off, i pricednew dash pads and for what they want, i'd just assume go the other rout as these dash pads began to crack and get brittle after only a few years

Your pad is in way better condition then ours was, i dont think there was a square inch on it that wasnt cracked.. With the old pad the same color, you really cant tell unless you know what you are looking for. Also is a good trade off, i pricednew dash pads and for what they want, i'd just assume go the other rout as these dash pads began to crack and get brittle after only a few years

I'm going to use a new pad on Dad's truck, but it will be a trailer queen. Big Blue will be happy with a nicely painted dash cover. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Got the radios in today. Ordered yesterday, got them before church this morning. :nabble_smiley_oh:

The truck radio is tiny! And the antenna is even smaller. Should be so easy to put this thing in the little cubby in the Highliner. In fact, the mike is half the size of the unit, and detaches easily via the RJ-11 connection, so can be stored in the glove box or console on the seat - assuming I ever get one.

And the walkie talkies are complex! The number of functions on them boggles the mind, with group settings, privacy codes, NOAA channels, etc.

Base_Unit.thumb.jpg.37fec7f36a591eadd0efe745792b1c62.jpgWalkie_Talkie.thumb.jpg.1e55c59a996a623527dc2919f08d8c90.jpg

I'm going to use a new pad on Dad's truck, but it will be a trailer queen. Big Blue will be happy with a nicely painted dash cover. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Got the radios in today. Ordered yesterday, got them before church this morning. :nabble_smiley_oh:

The truck radio is tiny! And the antenna is even smaller. Should be so easy to put this thing in the little cubby in the Highliner. In fact, the mike is half the size of the unit, and detaches easily via the RJ-11 connection, so can be stored in the glove box or console on the seat - assuming I ever get one.

And the walkie talkies are complex! The number of functions on them boggles the mind, with group settings, privacy codes, NOAA channels, etc.

Sure beats my 102" whip antenna and Cobra 29 LX. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sure beats my 102" whip antenna and Cobra 29 LX. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was blown away when I got the box this morning, and told Janey "There can't be an antenna in there!" But when I unpacked it there was. :nabble_smiley_oh:

To put this in perspective, a 1/4 wavelength antenna for the 27 MHZ CB band is 109" long. But at the GMRS frequency of 462.5 MHZ a 1/4 wavelength antenna is 6.4" long.

I stuck batteries in the walkie talkies and went about one block down the street and the reception was absolutely crystal clear. No noise at all but the sound of the other person talking. Far from what I've found on CB walkie talkies in the past, and I've used a bunch of them.

Guess I'd better apply for my GMRS license.

I was blown away when I got the box this morning, and told Janey "There can't be an antenna in there!" But when I unpacked it there was. :nabble_smiley_oh:

To put this in perspective, a 1/4 wavelength antenna for the 27 MHZ CB band is 109" long. But at the GMRS frequency of 462.5 MHZ a 1/4 wavelength antenna is 6.4" long.

I stuck batteries in the walkie talkies and went about one block down the street and the reception was absolutely crystal clear. No noise at all but the sound of the other person talking. Far from what I've found on CB walkie talkies in the past, and I've used a bunch of them.

Guess I'd better apply for my GMRS license.

Shorter wavelengths (higher frequencies) get blocked more easily.

You can get a Tech license with very little study or cost.

If you don't get at least 99% you fell asleep taking the test.

Shorter wavelengths (higher frequencies) get blocked more easily.

You can get a Tech license with very little study or cost.

If you don't get at least 99% you fell asleep taking the test.

I'm not even sure there IS a test. I think I just give them money for the license. But if there is a test I suspect I can ace it without much effort having had my amateur license.

And you are right about the shorter wavelengths getting blocked more easily. Even trees make a difference. But I don't expect we'll need much distance. Mainly I'm thinking between Big Blue and the FJ when we take two vehicles, and then from the spotter to Big Blue when we tackle some of the harder trails.

But, if Ray does get the Run Of The Bulls together it would be far easier for the guys on bikes to carry one of these walkie talkies than something for CB.

I'm not even sure there IS a test. I think I just give them money for the license. But if there is a test I suspect I can ace it without much effort having had my amateur license.

And you are right about the shorter wavelengths getting blocked more easily. Even trees make a difference. But I don't expect we'll need much distance. Mainly I'm thinking between Big Blue and the FJ when we take two vehicles, and then from the spotter to Big Blue when we tackle some of the harder trails.

But, if Ray does get the Run Of The Bulls together it would be far easier for the guys on bikes to carry one of these walkie talkies than something for CB.

That is cool! I have a 2 meter radio about that size, about a 12 inch mag mount antenna on my freezer in the garage, works great.

Had it mounted in a Mazda 626 I used to own. Now I usually listen to the local sheriff’s dispatch with it.

I’m assuming Jim was talking about a HAM license. You have one right?

I’m curious how you like it when you use it. May have to get a GMRS license also. No test, just money. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Edit, I like the usb charge point on my President Bill, charge my power bank or phone when I don’t want to mess with it hooking up to the stereo.

I'm not sure why you'd need a license to operate a FMRS?

The only reason I see for a license, is so that you know the rules of the airwaves and don't violate someone else.

If the FCC wants to tax every FMRS, Drone or whatever, then call it what it is.....

Otherwise if I'm a radio amateur I don't see why on earth I should have to jump through their hoops.