Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Well, several steps forward and one backward is still progress.

First, I installed a 2.5 second LRC voltage regulator in the alternator because I've been getting a belt squeal on startup. Apparently the serpentine belt can't handle the sudden load when the regulator sees the voltage down a bit from starting.

So when I got it installed I left the lights on for 5 minutes before starting the truck. And in spite of that there was NO squeal! In fact, I watched as the voltage came up smoothly to 14v.

As for the painting, I cleaned and painted the brown door handle grommets. They aren't perfect, but will be a lot better than the ugly cutouts in the door panels for the handles. And I painted the kick panel vents as well as the A-pillar trim.

Here are some pics, and despite the color differences, they are really all the same.

But, speaking of the dash cover, I pulled the dash pad off and here 'tis with all of its warts:

So I poked out the speaker holes, which just almost fell out:

Then I pulled out the Coverlay dash cover that Vernon sent with Big Blue, and found a minor problem. So, I have another one on order from LMC 'cause their price is $119 for a black one vs $159 with JBG for any color. And, since I have the paint I went for black.

I still have the metal trim I want to paint since it has some scrapes and bare spots, but I'm going to wait until the dash cover comes in and I get it painted. That way I'll know how much of the 3rd, and last, can of paint I have left.

Great news on the LRC. Takes care of that problem :nabble_smiley_good:

Looking forward to seeing them in person sometime but that paint really covers well and in the photos at least, look like they came that color. Well done.

Well, several steps forward and one backward is still progress.

First, I installed a 2.5 second LRC voltage regulator in the alternator because I've been getting a belt squeal on startup. Apparently the serpentine belt can't handle the sudden load when the regulator sees the voltage down a bit from starting.

So when I got it installed I left the lights on for 5 minutes before starting the truck. And in spite of that there was NO squeal! In fact, I watched as the voltage came up smoothly to 14v.

As for the painting, I cleaned and painted the brown door handle grommets. They aren't perfect, but will be a lot better than the ugly cutouts in the door panels for the handles. And I painted the kick panel vents as well as the A-pillar trim.

Here are some pics, and despite the color differences, they are really all the same.

But, speaking of the dash cover, I pulled the dash pad off and here 'tis with all of its warts:

So I poked out the speaker holes, which just almost fell out:

Then I pulled out the Coverlay dash cover that Vernon sent with Big Blue, and found a minor problem. So, I have another one on order from LMC 'cause their price is $119 for a black one vs $159 with JBG for any color. And, since I have the paint I went for black.

I still have the metal trim I want to paint since it has some scrapes and bare spots, but I'm going to wait until the dash cover comes in and I get it painted. That way I'll know how much of the 3rd, and last, can of paint I have left.

I don't know that the time and prep is worth $40 to me, but at least you can be assured the colour matches. :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad the regulator has resolved your squeal.

I can understand how that gets annoying.

But no more annoying than the C2, in my mind. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I don't know that the time and prep is worth $40 to me, but at least you can be assured the colour matches. :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad the regulator has resolved your squeal.

I can understand how that gets annoying.

But no more annoying than the C2, in my mind. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I had some fitment issues with my coverlay dash cover, we had to trim a little bit of the exhisting dash material away around the bezel for the radio, it just seamed to not seat well. I called them and showed them pictures and they said it was a good fit. I did however get them to give me 30 bucks off. when i ordered it, i ordered light blue as the stock pic was the same color as Brutus, and when it came in, it was the same color as yours was. I call them back and they tell me i should have ordered dark blue which the stock photograph was midnight blue. I pushed the matter and told them I realizze that monitors are different, but this dash cover does not match the stock photo in any way shape or form. they ask me what photograph i was using. I told them, every store that sells your product has the same stock photo. The light blue stock photo is dead on for Brutus's interior, imagine my shock when i pulled it out of the box. Needless to say, they were very very nice about it and in the end it looks really great, i'm glad i went with the coverlay, it looks more natural then the other ones

I had some fitment issues with my coverlay dash cover, we had to trim a little bit of the exhisting dash material away around the bezel for the radio, it just seamed to not seat well. I called them and showed them pictures and they said it was a good fit. I did however get them to give me 30 bucks off. when i ordered it, i ordered light blue as the stock pic was the same color as Brutus, and when it came in, it was the same color as yours was. I call them back and they tell me i should have ordered dark blue which the stock photograph was midnight blue. I pushed the matter and told them I realizze that monitors are different, but this dash cover does not match the stock photo in any way shape or form. they ask me what photograph i was using. I told them, every store that sells your product has the same stock photo. The light blue stock photo is dead on for Brutus's interior, imagine my shock when i pulled it out of the box. Needless to say, they were very very nice about it and in the end it looks really great, i'm glad i went with the coverlay, it looks more natural then the other ones

So, do you think Gary's got cracked because :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: tried to force it around the radio, where you had trouble with yours, George?

So, do you think Gary's got cracked because :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: tried to force it around the radio, where you had trouble with yours, George?

Its possible, but hard to say. when we slid ours on the first time, it got hung up on the dash right where his is cracked., right over where it stick out where the radio bezel is. When we slid it on, it did not go all the way back and the screw holes did not line up where the defrost vents are. After i called them and they told me the fitment was correct, i had originally told them i think i want my money back, but let me go check it again. we took a razor knife and trimmed a bit of the dash away around that area and it slid in perfect. That is when i called them back with the color issues.

Its possible, but hard to say. when we slid ours on the first time, it got hung up on the dash right where his is cracked., right over where it stick out where the radio bezel is. When we slid it on, it did not go all the way back and the screw holes did not line up where the defrost vents are. After i called them and they told me the fitment was correct, i had originally told them i think i want my money back, but let me go check it again. we took a razor knife and trimmed a bit of the dash away around that area and it slid in perfect. That is when i called them back with the color issues.

Scott - I do hope you get to see Big Blue in person, again, next year. Or maybe sooner. Especially since that will mean we are free of the virus.

Jim - No C2 pump noise and no belt squall. Just a healthy 460 rumbling. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim/George - My cover didn't get installed. Vernon ordered it and it was part of the deal. But it wasn't in a box, so I'm guessing the crack happened in the transfer. We had TONS of parts to load/unload.

As for the color, if I didn't have the can of paint and all the prep supplies I might have gone for one of the already-painted covers. But then I'd have had the problem you had, George, of which blue. I looked at the pictures on the screen and couldn't tell.

Besides, when I put the cover on Rusty (I think it was Rusty) I found that the Coverlay color and the Ford color were a little different. So I vowed that the next time I did it I'd paint the combination once I got the cover on.

Scott - I do hope you get to see Big Blue in person, again, next year. Or maybe sooner. Especially since that will mean we are free of the virus.

Jim - No C2 pump noise and no belt squall. Just a healthy 460 rumbling. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim/George - My cover didn't get installed. Vernon ordered it and it was part of the deal. But it wasn't in a box, so I'm guessing the crack happened in the transfer. We had TONS of parts to load/unload.

As for the color, if I didn't have the can of paint and all the prep supplies I might have gone for one of the already-painted covers. But then I'd have had the problem you had, George, of which blue. I looked at the pictures on the screen and couldn't tell.

Besides, when I put the cover on Rusty (I think it was Rusty) I found that the Coverlay color and the Ford color were a little different. So I vowed that the next time I did it I'd paint the combination once I got the cover on.

Gary, we pretty much knew we were probably going to have to paint it anyway, but with me, a picture is worth a thousand words and it needs to look somewhat like what the picture does. Nick, who's main line was TV repair for years and years, also has a masters degree in color and light said that no matter how badly the monitor would be messed up, the color is way way off. I used that to get some bucks off. I did the same with my seat cover. I even had conversations with both coverlay and dash designs about the stock photo's they are using

You may be right about how the crack happened, but when you get your new one, be careful around where the dash sticks out over the radio bezel. Once Nick trimmed out some of the dash pad, it slid right on and fits perfect, although it does not cover completely under the front so if you have any bad dash area there, you may want to trim some of the excess off and apply color to the original dash pad to get it to match. I'm going outside and taking some pics and i'll show you what i'm talking about

Gary, we pretty much knew we were probably going to have to paint it anyway, but with me, a picture is worth a thousand words and it needs to look somewhat like what the picture does. Nick, who's main line was TV repair for years and years, also has a masters degree in color and light said that no matter how badly the monitor would be messed up, the color is way way off. I used that to get some bucks off. I did the same with my seat cover. I even had conversations with both coverlay and dash designs about the stock photo's they are using

You may be right about how the crack happened, but when you get your new one, be careful around where the dash sticks out over the radio bezel. Once Nick trimmed out some of the dash pad, it slid right on and fits perfect, although it does not cover completely under the front so if you have any bad dash area there, you may want to trim some of the excess off and apply color to the original dash pad to get it to match. I'm going outside and taking some pics and i'll show you what i'm talking about

you can see around the defrost vents and up under the front it dosen't cover. Also in our case, we had to make the holes in the speaker grill a bit larger because that is where the autolamp module is and i cant see through those small holes. It does look better then the other ones. I've seen the hard shell ones installed and i dont like them, it looks like a cover, these dont Pardon my washers, i need new screws and clips, but like you told me awhile back. " you're never done "

DSCN0990.jpg.d4eea3890a1a5f73fc9ba8e4020bccaa.jpg

DSCN0992.jpg.dc7bd6903aa505670e2f49e8d494d0c6.jpg

DSCN0997.jpg.566623db9043f4f4d360d1bd77d327e1.jpg

DSCN0996.jpg.56c871f558f6077ec34f6516ffe29335.jpg

you can see around the defrost vents and up under the front it dosen't cover. Also in our case, we had to make the holes in the speaker grill a bit larger because that is where the autolamp module is and i cant see through those small holes. It does look better then the other ones. I've seen the hard shell ones installed and i dont like them, it looks like a cover, these dont Pardon my washers, i need new screws and clips, but like you told me awhile back. " you're never done "

Thanks for the pics, George. I'll watch out for those areas. And, I won't cram it on, I'll fit it gently and trim if I have to.

And, speaking of trimming, I've already had to sand off hard, curled edges of the cracks that would have held the cover up. I'll probably do some more trimming as I'm waiting for the new cover, using the old cover to test with.

Also, I'm debating how to install the cover. IOW, what to glue it down with. Coverlay sends RTV as the "glue" but I also have 3M spray adhesive. However, I'm worried that the spray adhesive wouldn't let me slip the thing in place before grabbing it - firmly. On the other hand, the RTV doesn't seem like a very strong adhesive.

Thoughts, y'all?

Thanks for the pics, George. I'll watch out for those areas. And, I won't cram it on, I'll fit it gently and trim if I have to.

And, speaking of trimming, I've already had to sand off hard, curled edges of the cracks that would have held the cover up. I'll probably do some more trimming as I'm waiting for the new cover, using the old cover to test with.

Also, I'm debating how to install the cover. IOW, what to glue it down with. Coverlay sends RTV as the "glue" but I also have 3M spray adhesive. However, I'm worried that the spray adhesive wouldn't let me slip the thing in place before grabbing it - firmly. On the other hand, the RTV doesn't seem like a very strong adhesive.

Thoughts, y'all?

Contact cement and most spray adhesives are neoprene rubber and won't hold long term to a plastic that is off gassing while baking in the sun.

RTV is going to be much better in this application.

Scuff both surfaces to give it some tooth to hang on to.