Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I will check it out, but can't do so for a few days as I'm not going to get down into Tulsa where the HF store is.

And, I sure appreciate you taking the measurements as well as looking for a compressor. Thanks!

But, one thing I've not checked out is the space below the tool box and across the front of the bed. I'd rather not use that as it might be good storage for something. And, I'm pretty sure it is very narrow. But, it is also probably twice as wide as what we've been talking in length, so.....

That would make it impossible to close the gate on a 4x8 sheet, but you're not in the construction trades, so...

I have seen some 48" tanks. (those would fit between the wheel wells)

I think I'd have close to 60" if I didn't have a drop-in bedliner.

IF I get to HF for the 'sale' (always a sale) ill check it out and post back.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would make it impossible to close the gate on a 4x8 sheet, but you're not in the construction trades, so...

I have seen some 48" tanks. (those would fit between the wheel wells)

I think I'd have close to 60" if I didn't have a drop-in bedliner.

IF I get to HF for the 'sale' (always a sale) ill check it out and post back.

With that monster spare in the middle of the bed it is hard to get a sheet of anything in. I still need to get that bumper built. :nabble_smiley_sad:

But placing the tank under the toolbox would prevent closing the 'gate with a sheet in there.

With that monster spare in the middle of the bed it is hard to get a sheet of anything in. I still need to get that bumper built. :nabble_smiley_sad:

But placing the tank under the toolbox would prevent closing the 'gate with a sheet in there.

Do you need something at Harbor Freight measured? I’m 5 minutes from the one here.

Would a disused CO2 bottle work? That may be more expensive unless you already have it lying about...

Would a disused CO2 bottle work? That may be more expensive unless you already have it lying about...

SCUBA tanks are aluminum and rated MUCH higher than your usual 125psi compressor.

What do they do with the ones that fail recert?

Not fail catastrophically, but fail the stretch test?

You know. When they place them in a tank and see if the displacement changes under pressure.

Do you need something at Harbor Freight measured? I’m 5 minutes from the one here.

Yes! PLEASE! Their 10 Gal. 2.5 HP 125 PSI Oil Lube Air Compressor. And the real question is what the dimensions of the tank are.

Ideally I'm looking for a tank that is 8" in diameter and no more than 37" long. But we aren't likely to find one that is a perfect fit. So, if you could measure tanks on their compressors that are sort of close it might be a big help. THANK YOU!

And speaking of a perfect fit, there's a chance that I could get the guy that is supposed to build my rear bumper/spare tire carrier to make the tank to fit. He'd already said he could make the rear bumper into an air tank, but after discussing it here and making many holes in the bumper itself during the design I decided to not use the bumper that way. However, a piece of tubing with the ends welded up, fittings welded on, and brackets added might be easy for them to make.

So, two 8" pieces of tubing, one 37" long and one 27" long, would yield 8 and 6 gallons respectively. Hmmmm...... :nabble_smiley_evil:

SCUBA tanks are aluminum and rated MUCH higher than your usual 125psi compressor.

What do they do with the ones that fail recert?

Not fail catastrophically, but fail the stretch test?

You know. When they place them in a tank and see if the displacement changes under pressure.

What about a scuba tank????

At standard pressure (3,000psi) they are 80 cu' (or @30 psi, 100 times their volume)

It would be the same as 600 gallons volume at atmospheric pressure. *14.7 @ sea level.

So, about 150 gallons @ 29.4 psi. (or 300 to raise tires from 15-->30)

You would definitely need a regulator, but you wouldn't have to worry about oil or condensation., and the fill would be FAST.

What about a scuba tank????

At standard pressure (3,000psi) they are 80 cu' (or @30 psi, 100 times their volume)

It would be the same as 600 gallons volume at atmospheric pressure. *14.7 @ sea level.

So, about 150 gallons @ 29.4 psi. (or 300 to raise tires from 15-->30)

You would definitely need a regulator, but you wouldn't have to worry about oil or condensation., and the fill would be FAST.

Steve - A CO2 bottle? How big are they? How heavy?

Jim - A SCUBA tank, with oxygen? That is interesting. It looks like the tanks go for ~$100 used to maybe $250 new. But where do you get them filled? I didn't find anything in Tulsa.

And, what kind of a regulator? That would be a serious step-down in pressure.

Steve - A CO2 bottle? How big are they? How heavy?

Jim - A SCUBA tank, with oxygen? That is interesting. It looks like the tanks go for ~$100 used to maybe $250 new. But where do you get them filled? I didn't find anything in Tulsa.

And, what kind of a regulator? That would be a serious step-down in pressure.

Oh no, you don't want oxygen!

Regular air (about 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, argon and other trace gases fill out to 100)

You can get a certed tank filled at any dive shop.

You'll need an adapter for scuba, but then you can use a normal regulator for nitrogen, argon, whatever....

Oh no, you don't want oxygen!

Regular air (about 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, argon and other trace gases fill out to 100)

You can get a certed tank filled at any dive shop.

You'll need an adapter for scuba, but then you can use a normal regulator for nitrogen, argon, whatever....

I just checked and an 80 fill at Cap'n Mike's dive shop is $5

(cheaper if you join the customer rewards thing where you get you card punched for a freebie)

At any rate, definitely faster to fill than a compressor and enough to seat a bead if it ever came to that.