Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

On the wiper arms, I'm not sure I know what years to go looking for. Do you know?

My 1990 cab came with J-hooks, but I can't tell you if they were original.

Ok, Shaun and Bob. Thanks. May go to the salvage and see what I find. Unless Jim comes up with a cheap solution like he found. :nabble_smiley_wink:

By the way, I had a horrible discovery today. My dial calipers LIE! As explained in the edit to the post about metering rods, I checked with my micrometer today and the metering rods are exactly what they are stamped. So now I have to replace the calipers, which I use daily. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Ok, Shaun and Bob. Thanks. May go to the salvage and see what I find. Unless Jim comes up with a cheap solution like he found. :nabble_smiley_wink:

By the way, I had a horrible discovery today. My dial calipers LIE! As explained in the edit to the post about metering rods, I checked with my micrometer today and the metering rods are exactly what they are stamped. So now I have to replace the calipers, which I use daily. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Gary, when you close the calipers all the way do they read 0? if not that should be an easy fix. If they do, then you need to send them back to whichever Chinese factory they came from.

Gary, when you close the calipers all the way do they read 0? if not that should be an easy fix. If they do, then you need to send them back to whichever Chinese factory they came from.

They do read zero. And they came from Japan as they are Mitutoyos.

I'm thinking of replacing them with Mitutoyo digital ones.

They do read zero. And they came from Japan as they are Mitutoyos.

I'm thinking of replacing them with Mitutoyo digital ones.

Gary,

Sorry, I got distracted in conversation with my brother...

I didn't see them in my Amazon purchase history so I turned to eBay and see that I bought a pair from AM auto parts.

They were $13 a piece and sold as replacement for F5TZ-17526-B.

I don't know how a dial caliper can read off over X distance.

It is a simple rack and pinion after all!

If the tooth fits into the mate they shouldn't be able to accumulate error.

Mitutoyo is every bit Starret imo.

They could obviously go to metrology and be recalibrated.

Someone asked about digital calipers a while back and I said for shop tools, I'd buy Shars Aventor line. (You can get IP 57 or 65, I believe)

It's much like a set of gauge blocks. One master AA set for the tool room and whatever lab grade for the ones out on the floor.

I have any number of old micrometer standards to check against.

Depending on how much use they see it's not a bad idea to look from time to time.

Gary,

Sorry, I got distracted in conversation with my brother...

I didn't see them in my Amazon purchase history so I turned to eBay and see that I bought a pair from AM auto parts.

They were $13 a piece and sold as replacement for F5TZ-17526-B.

I don't know how a dial caliper can read off over X distance.

It is a simple rack and pinion after all!

If the tooth fits into the mate they shouldn't be able to accumulate error.

Mitutoyo is every bit Starret imo.

They could obviously go to metrology and be recalibrated.

Someone asked about digital calipers a while back and I said for shop tools, I'd buy Shars Aventor line. (You can get IP 57 or 65, I believe)

It's much like a set of gauge blocks. One master AA set for the tool room and whatever lab grade for the ones out on the floor.

I have any number of old micrometer standards to check against.

Depending on how much use they see it's not a bad idea to look from time to time.

I agree, Jim. I don't know how they can read off. But they do! Consistently. But a different amount depending on how close to zero you are. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm going to contact Mitutoyo repair today to see what the cost might be, but I think I'll be money ahead to go with new digital ones. And I'll check out the Shars units. Thanks.

On the wiper arms, this link should take you to the AM Auto Parts page for wiper arms for a '91 to '97, which are said to use F5TZ-17526-B. Looks like a pair is $40 with free shipping. Thanks again.

I agree, Jim. I don't know how they can read off. But they do! Consistently. But a different amount depending on how close to zero you are. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm going to contact Mitutoyo repair today to see what the cost might be, but I think I'll be money ahead to go with new digital ones. And I'll check out the Shars units. Thanks.

On the wiper arms, this link should take you to the AM Auto Parts page for wiper arms for a '91 to '97, which are said to use F5TZ-17526-B. Looks like a pair is $40 with free shipping. Thanks again.

$16.xx each on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/370914569346

Gary, on my dial calipers, the dial scale can be rotated to reset 0 just like zeroing a dial indicator, I will have to look later as to brand and may get a picture of them for you. They may be Mitutoyo as I also have a very nice mechanical digital 0- 1" micrometer of theirs. I have micrometers from 0 to 6" span the 1 - 2" and larger were acquired from a shop that closed. All of them used to get an annual calibration while I was still working at NNS.

Gary, on my dial calipers, the dial scale can be rotated to reset 0 just like zeroing a dial indicator, I will have to look later as to brand and may get a picture of them for you. They may be Mitutoyo as I also have a very nice mechanical digital 0- 1" micrometer of theirs. I have micrometers from 0 to 6" span the 1 - 2" and larger were acquired from a shop that closed. All of them used to get an annual calibration while I was still working at NNS.

Aren't all dial calipers like this, Bill?

But I think Gary's issue is that he is gaining (or losing) the more he opens them.

He says above that zero is correct.