Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

When I had it in the Packard, we had a 102" whip. it just looked right on that car, and I was glad that the antenna connector was not connected to the negative side as the 1955 Packards were 12V Positive ground (only US car ever made that way).

The only thing I don't like about my whip antenna is when it rebounds and smacks the hood. Gets me every time, even after over 8 years of having the thing. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I'm thinking mounting it magnetically on the roof will keep it from hitting the hood - unless I forget to tie it down and go under a tree or something else low. No?

Dunno yet. Don't have one. But probably a base-loaded shorter whip on a mag mount.

You shouldn't have the same issue as I do then. My antenna is mounted right off of the center of the toolbox, so it gets great reception, but is also able to reach the front of the truck when it rebounds. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Screenshot_20200912-234127_Gallery.thumb.jpg.19ba128acac5fd5048b0045b8ebfd4db.jpg

You shouldn't have the same issue as I do then. My antenna is mounted right off of the center of the toolbox, so it gets great reception, but is also able to reach the front of the truck when it rebounds. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I thought about mounting it there, but on the roof makes more sense for a ground plane, and my tool box is aluminium so I'd either have to bolt it to that little aluminum piece between the two lids or put a steel plate on top of it.

On another subject, I forgot to report back on the results of all of the work on Big Blue's frame. I no longer have the thunk when backing out of the driveway and making the turn into the street. I'm pretty sure that was due to the loose Huck bolt, and by replacing it with an oversized G8 bolt in a reamed hole, installing the low-friction material between the parts, and then torquing that bolt to the specs the problem has gone.

However, it is possible that installing the left-out bolts to the engine perches helped. But whatever, the frame appears to be much more solid now.

And, the clunk I had if you left off the throttle too quickly is also gone. I'd assumed that it was due to the headers hitting the frame, and apparently it was.

Bottom Line: The truck feels and sounds much more solid now.

I thought about mounting it there, but on the roof makes more sense for a ground plane, and my tool box is aluminium so I'd either have to bolt it to that little aluminum piece between the two lids or put a steel plate on top of it.

On another subject, I forgot to report back on the results of all of the work on Big Blue's frame. I no longer have the thunk when backing out of the driveway and making the turn into the street. I'm pretty sure that was due to the loose Huck bolt, and by replacing it with an oversized G8 bolt in a reamed hole, installing the low-friction material between the parts, and then torquing that bolt to the specs the problem has gone.

However, it is possible that installing the left-out bolts to the engine perches helped. But whatever, the frame appears to be much more solid now.

And, the clunk I had if you left off the throttle too quickly is also gone. I'd assumed that it was due to the headers hitting the frame, and apparently it was.

Bottom Line: The truck feels and sounds much more solid now.

Another :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_good: !

When I had it in the Packard, we had a 102" whip. it just looked right on that car, and I was glad that the antenna connector was not connected to the negative side as the 1955 Packards were 12V Positive ground (only US car ever made that way).

The only thing I don't like about my whip antenna is when it rebounds and smacks the hood. Gets me every time, even after over 8 years of having the thing. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I never had that problem on the Packard, I had gutter clip to hold the tip down for going into parking garages. It would put the tip of the antenna over the left rear door.

I never had that problem on the Packard, I had gutter clip to hold the tip down for going into parking garages. It would put the tip of the antenna over the left rear door.

Did you have it on a spring? I have mine on a spring and I'm pretty sure that's why mine hits.

Did you have it on a spring? I have mine on a spring and I'm pretty sure that's why mine hits.

I don't remember now, it's been over 40 years since we had the Packard. I'm thinking it did, but it was on a bumper mount on the rear bumper and you're talking a car that was 18 feet long.