Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I have a Cobra 29 LX BT in my Ranger. It's been a great CB and has way more features than I'll ever need.

LOL! I Googled "President Bill" and then Amazon told me about others I was following up on them. Here's what my screen was showing when your note came in:

Well that works. Haha.

I don't know what features the HighLiner(?) has regarding a speaker grille for a CB, but if there is none, I suggest a quality external speaker so that you can put the output sound wherever you want it. I have a cheapo external speaker since my CB is mounted in a way that faces the internal speaker towards my center console. If I had to do it again I would purchase the Cobra or Uniden speaker because the cheap version I have is a classic example of "You get what you pay for".

I have a Cobra 29 LX BT in my Ranger. It's been a great CB and has way more features than I'll ever need.

LOL! I Googled "President Bill" and then Amazon told me about others I was following up on them. Here's what my screen was showing when your note came in:

It took me a bit to find Rob's notes about the Highliner, so I'm going to put a link here. In it is this pic:

IMG_3630.jpg.3b001390d92e2b2a02d2e3ba8be0a34b.jpg

Well that works. Haha.

I don't know what features the HighLiner(?) has regarding a speaker grille for a CB, but if there is none, I suggest a quality external speaker so that you can put the output sound wherever you want it. I have a cheapo external speaker since my CB is mounted in a way that faces the internal speaker towards my center console. If I had to do it again I would purchase the Cobra or Uniden speaker because the cheap version I have is a classic example of "You get what you pay for".

The Highliner has speakers above the driver and passenger's head, which could be used. However, are you saying that your Cobra has a bottom-mounted speaker? If so I could perforate the Highliner's plate that goes under the CB and use the internal speaker. Or, is it not "quality"? At my age I need all the help understanding that I can get.

Also, does the Cobra have an output that could be used to mute an external device, like an AM/FM radio?

The Highliner has speakers above the driver and passenger's head, which could be used. However, are you saying that your Cobra has a bottom-mounted speaker? If so I could perforate the Highliner's plate that goes under the CB and use the internal speaker. Or, is it not "quality"? At my age I need all the help understanding that I can get.

Also, does the Cobra have an output that could be used to mute an external device, like an AM/FM radio?

I looked back at that thread, and I like the way the guy mounted the CB under the radio. But if you're planning on putting the CB in that pocket, then I would definitely make some holes in the highliner. The sound from the stock (bottom mount) speaker should be adequate provided it's able to direct the sound away from the highliner (otherwise it's muffled). My speaker works okay with it facing the console, however it's a little more clear with the external speaker facing away from the console.

As for the mute output, I don't believe so. I always just hit the mute button on my head unit to stop the radio when I hear an incoming transmission on the CB.

I looked back at that thread, and I like the way the guy mounted the CB under the radio. But if you're planning on putting the CB in that pocket, then I would definitely make some holes in the highliner. The sound from the stock (bottom mount) speaker should be adequate provided it's able to direct the sound away from the highliner (otherwise it's muffled). My speaker works okay with it facing the console, however it's a little more clear with the external speaker facing away from the console.

As for the mute output, I don't believe so. I always just hit the mute button on my head unit to stop the radio when I hear an incoming transmission on the CB.

Screenshot_20200912-185431_Gallery.thumb.jpg.afff8fb1b8b9570dbbbb1c8d83375018.jpg

Screenshot_20200912-185436_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ca5973256b552a36b76248f5d80d8c96.jpg

I would definitely recommend an external speaker if you go with the Pres. Bill.

In my Xterra I run it to my stereo head in the aux input with a 3.5 cable. It only comes out the left side because it isn’t stereo.

Was listening a lot the other day as I got stuck on I-5 because of the fires.

Looks good Shaun!

In my Xterra I run it to my stereo head in the aux input with a 3.5 cable. It only comes out the left side because it isn’t stereo.

Looks good Shaun!

As a radio amateur I'm glad to see CB's still have a place.

Though I well remember the :nabble_poo-23_orig:show caused by Burt Reynolds and Smokey and the Bandit.... 😡

I mentioned in my cab upgrade thread how amazing it is (for me) that inexpensive electronics have SO much to offer these days.

Back then, you flipped on your linear and you stepped all over broadcast television in a 1/4 mile radius! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

As a radio amateur I'm glad to see CB's still have a place.

Though I well remember the :nabble_poo-23_orig:show caused by Burt Reynolds and Smokey and the Bandit.... 😡

I mentioned in my cab upgrade thread how amazing it is (for me) that inexpensive electronics have SO much to offer these days.

Back then, you flipped on your linear and you stepped all over broadcast television in a 1/4 mile radius! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Jim, I still have my Pierce-Simpson Puma 23B. 23 channels all crystal controlled, 5 watts legal power and 100% modulation. I, and my daughter have been accused of having a linear with it. I took it out when the antenna on Darth died.

A late long haul trucker friend tried for years to get me to sell it to him but I never did. When I had it in the Packard, we had a 102" whip. it just looked right on that car, and I was glad that the antenna connector was not connected to the negative side as the 1955 Packards were 12V Positive ground (only US car ever made that way).

Looks good Shaun!

Shaun - It does look good. But I'm thinking that one overhead, like the 80's vans, would be cool! :nabble_smiley_good:

Seriously, two L-brackets screwed into the roof to hold it, instead of the foam rubber that comes with the Highliner, and the bottom plate of the Highliner perforated ought to work out nicely.

Dane - I'll go into the input jack of whatever head unit I have if I have to, but it sure would be nice if the speaker on the CB would do the job.

Jim - Back in the day I was WA0FFF. No linear, but a DX80 and an R100A. Lived that stuff. I remember so well walking up to a friend at college who was fretting over his final and it turned out the question was "What are the tubes & their functions in a 5-tube superhet?" So I walked him through, starting with the 35W4 rectifier. Directly off the ham test.

When I had it in the Packard, we had a 102" whip. it just looked right on that car, and I was glad that the antenna connector was not connected to the negative side as the 1955 Packards were 12V Positive ground (only US car ever made that way).

The only thing I don't like about my whip antenna is when it rebounds and smacks the hood. Gets me every time, even after over 8 years of having the thing. :nabble_smiley_hurt: