Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, guys. I'm really pleased with the exhaust. Now to get the engine running correctly and the leaks fixed..... :nabble_smiley_super:

Charge inertia is how you fill cylinders.

If you have X runner volume, and X length until common plenum, then you need to keep that charge moving.

That isn't going to happen at LOW rpms no matter how you optimize for it.

(Or you happen to have variable cam timing, 10.5:1 compression, injectors pointed right at the back of the valves, and 2 bar of boost to effectively double your engine size)

But this is not that.

It's a 50 year old engine, that's been optimized for a broad spread of power.

George said it. "There's no replacement for displacement"

A Scat cranked 532 with the big Stealth or an Air Gap would have been cheaper and more in line with what you seem to want

Thanks, guys. I'm really pleased with the exhaust. Now to get the engine running correctly and the leaks fixed..... :nabble_smiley_super:

I believe you will get "there", Gary!

Thanks, David!

Jim - Don't forget that I'm comparing this engine to the worn out one I had. That one was a docile giant. This one seems to be more tempermental. Granted it is early days and it needs some tuning, so this is early days.

Anyway, Janey and I are taking Big Blue on an outing this afternoon. So this morning I'm dialing in a bit more choke, loading up the spare tire, and hopefully mounting the AFR gauge.

Thanks, David!

Jim - Don't forget that I'm comparing this engine to the worn out one I had. That one was a docile giant. This one seems to be more tempermental. Granted it is early days and it needs some tuning, so this is early days.

Anyway, Janey and I are taking Big Blue on an outing this afternoon. So this morning I'm dialing in a bit more choke, loading up the spare tire, and hopefully mounting the AFR gauge.

I understand that BB previously had a clapped out junkyard engine. (Not far from mine)

But you also have much more modern expectations.

It really doesn't matter if you have the cardio of Usain Bolt.... if you're sitting on the sofa eating chips.

Hopefully the AFR will show you some places where you can make improvements! 👍💪

Thanks, David!

You are also trying to run what amounts to a 1996 engine built for MAF/SEFI and computer controlled spark advance with a 1958 carburetor and 1970s ignition.

You are also trying to run what amounts to a 1996 engine built for MAF/SEFI and computer controlled spark advance with a 1958 carburetor and 1970s ignition.

Also, didn't you install new [different from original with Big Blue] aluminum heads? Perhaps they are designed to enhance flow at higher engine speeds?

The Trick flow heads are aluminum.

The better conduction helps a lot in staving off detonation.

Janey and I are taking BB for a jaunt, and are just stopped for a bit.

But, I’m running 1993 and later stick heads. Supposed to be the best of the EFI heads.

And I’m running on the front tank!

AFR was terribly rich at idle, about 10:1, so I leaned it up a bit and it idles better and pulls better.

Cruises around 14:1. And is running pretty good. 😉