Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yep, 91 octane w/o alcohol....

I wish we could have that around here.

My truck would be very happy! :nabble_smiley_super:

Well, at $3.49/gallon that stuff is pretty precious, but it seems like good insurance while I'm breaking it in and fine tuning.

Anyway, Big Blue goes in for alignment in the morning, and he has an appointment at the muffler shop on Thursday morning. :nabble_anim_jump:

The plan is to go with 19" Magnaflow "SUV" mufflers, which I thought I could easily find online. But I can't and the place is closed, so I'll check in the morning. Anyway, it'll be true duals and exit behind the tires, right and left.

But the question is whether to go with 2 1/2" or 3" exhausts. The collectors are 3" and he stocks both tubes and both size mufflers. Recommendations?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about the cooling system. I confess I didn't follow Bill's recommendations very well and didn't get the system completely burped as I didn't leave the radiator cap off as I filled via the heater hose. I hope that there were pockets of air in the system and I've had to add coolant twice now and it still isn't full. Tomorrow I'll leave the cap off and pull the heater hose off again and fill the system properly. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Well, at $3.49/gallon that stuff is pretty precious, but it seems like good insurance while I'm breaking it in and fine tuning.

Anyway, Big Blue goes in for alignment in the morning, and he has an appointment at the muffler shop on Thursday morning. :nabble_anim_jump:

The plan is to go with 19" Magnaflow "SUV" mufflers, which I thought I could easily find online. But I can't and the place is closed, so I'll check in the morning. Anyway, it'll be true duals and exit behind the tires, right and left.

But the question is whether to go with 2 1/2" or 3" exhausts. The collectors are 3" and he stocks both tubes and both size mufflers. Recommendations?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about the cooling system. I confess I didn't follow Bill's recommendations very well and didn't get the system completely burped as I didn't leave the radiator cap off as I filled via the heater hose. I hope that there were pockets of air in the system and I've had to add coolant twice now and it still isn't full. Tomorrow I'll leave the cap off and pull the heater hose off again and fill the system properly. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I think dual 3" is too much for how you intend to drive that truck.

I have no idea of muffler internal volume so I'm going to assume the mufflers are the same...

You can ask Scotty, but remember you want to keep velocity up and heat in.

You could put 3" stainless turnouts if you're insecure about 'things' but I don't see the need.

My truck has a single 3" *tailpipe and even with the 750 didn't feel bottled up all the way to 6k.

I think dual 3" is too much for how you intend to drive that truck.

I have no idea of muffler internal volume so I'm going to assume the mufflers are the same...

You can ask Scotty, but remember you want to keep velocity up and heat in.

You could put 3" stainless turnouts if you're insecure about 'things' but I don't see the need.

My truck has a single 3" *tailpipe and even with the 750 didn't feel bottled up all the way to 6k.

I don't want large turnouts, but might go with stainless tips - haven't decided.

But I did send a note to Scotty, so we'll see what he says as well.

And I understand you want the exhaust to move, but keep restrictions done. These won't be mandrel bent, so that will bring the flow down some.

But your single 3" pipe gives 7.07 sq inches and two 2 1/2" pipes would give 9.82 sq inches, or 39% more than yours, which is probably more than adequate.

I don't want large turnouts, but might go with stainless tips - haven't decided.

But I did send a note to Scotty, so we'll see what he says as well.

And I understand you want the exhaust to move, but keep restrictions done. These won't be mandrel bent, so that will bring the flow down some.

But your single 3" pipe gives 7.07 sq inches and two 2 1/2" pipes would give 9.82 sq inches, or 39% more than yours, which is probably more than adequate.

Scotty just replied with this:

Gary,

2.25 to 2.50" for duals. Use an X or H.

3.00 to 3.5" for single.

Do NOT run 3" duals. It WILL KILL low end and throttled torque.

And the emphasis is his. :nabble_smiley_wink:

So, it looks like that's settled.

Gary,

3.00 to 3.5" for single.

Shame you're not getting mandrel bent pipes.

Do muffler shops just not care (or know how) any more?

Yes, crushed pipes restrict flow, but they also leave large eddies of stagnant exhaust in their wake.

And though they restrict flow, they do nothing to reduce volume.

Volume that the exhaust must expand to fill.

Giving up both heat and velocity to do so.

Get an X-pipe just behind the tranny crossmember, and make the best of it.

Make sure they hang the left side pipe with heatshields wherever it comes close to that giant tank.

Edit: dual 2.25" pipes give you 7.96" square area, but note the additional surface area over 3"single.

9.6 circumference vs 14.14.

This produces a lot of drag, as well as cooling.

That's substantial!

Gary,

3.00 to 3.5" for single.

Glad you finally got to get Big Blue out for a drive! It’s been a long project and I bet that felt great. Good news on the ZF-5 ratios. I was wondering how the 2nd gear starts would be, and overdrive makes such a difference! Good job 😎

Shame you're not getting mandrel bent pipes.

Do muffler shops just not care (or know how) any more?

Yes, crushed pipes restrict flow, but they also leave large eddies of stagnant exhaust in their wake.

And though they restrict flow, they do nothing to reduce volume.

Volume that the exhaust must expand to fill.

Giving up both heat and velocity to do so.

Get an X-pipe just behind the tranny crossmember, and make the best of it.

Make sure they hang the left side pipe with heatshields wherever it comes close to that giant tank.

Edit: dual 2.25" pipes give you 7.96" square area, but note the additional surface area over 3"single.

9.6 circumference vs 14.14.

This produces a lot of drag, as well as cooling.

That's substantial!

Looking great Gary!

I couldn't find anyone locally doing mandrel bends when I had mine done earlier this year but that may have been due to using stainless.

If it gives any ideas, happy to show the path mine take since a similar setup aside from the tranny. The driver crosses over the tcase and then both go over the skid plate and are tucked up nicely. Also worth asking about having some of those vclamps installed behind the tcase so easier to drop part of the exhaust for working room.

Looking great Gary!

I couldn't find anyone locally doing mandrel bends when I had mine done earlier this year but that may have been due to using stainless.

If it gives any ideas, happy to show the path mine take since a similar setup aside from the tranny. The driver crosses over the tcase and then both go over the skid plate and are tucked up nicely. Also worth asking about having some of those vclamps installed behind the tcase so easier to drop part of the exhaust for working room.

Is this like a Wiggins clamp used for pump and pressure applications?

I guess I'm.not up on any modern designations.

:nabble_smiley_blush::nabble_smiley_blush::nabble_smiley_blush:

Okay, I see this is a single band with no seals, but cone and socket weldments that are drawn together,

Or flared ends under what is essentially a collet...

Seems much easier than flange and gaskets like my muffler.